The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an exerpt from our performance at The Brig for the Port Dover Friday the 13th show.

Those of you who gig, intend to gig or have gigged may find it amusing to note the transition from sitting at the piano to standing with the guitar and back again. It looks pretty straight forward, but one little fumble and it's a trainwreck.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ioASzuUj0

·
Registered
788 Posts
you pulled it off nicely, fumbles on stage are a nightmare:mad: things can go south so fast with everyone looking a each other with that "whats wrong" looks on their faces, during recovery:D

Nice lead and Tone Mike, the vid's sound recording is very good as well:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you pulled it off nicely, fumbles on stage are a nightmare:mad: things can go south so fast with everyone looking a each other with that "whats wrong" looks on their faces, during recovery:D

Nice lead and Tone Mike, the vid's sound recording is very good as well:food-smiley-004:
Thanks Screem,

As you correctly noted, fumbles in a situation like that can lead to embarrasing results and can ruin a performance. It's just another element of performance that should be considered in my opinion.

A good show is the cumulative result of a thousand details.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Good co-ordination, and nice playing, there Milkman. If you could also throw in a tap dance I'd be really impressed! :banana: You also smile and look confident when playing the guitar solo. Thats something I struggle with - I'm always so focused on "not screwing up" that I dont look like I'm "connecting" with the audience. Good job.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good co-ordination, and nice playing, there Milkman. If you could also throw in a tap dance I'd be really impressed! :banana: You also smile and look confident when playing the guitar solo. Thats something I struggle with - I'm always so focused on "not screwing up" that I dont look like I'm "connecting" with the audience. Good job.

Thanks man. I think few people realize how many balls you have to keep in the air when you're playing and singing at the same time. I'll probably have it nailed just in time to retire, LOL.

I guess if you were to analyze a simple task like walking, it would become quite a complex set of "steps" (pardon the pun).

Now stop and think about changing effects with your feet, while playing guitar, and singing. I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm blowing my own horn, but how is ANYone able to do this? The brain is an amazing computer.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Good job Milkman,...you were as busy as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest...:D. ...Kidding aside, you made it look mighty smooth.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job Milkman,...you were as busy as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest...:D. ...Kidding aside, you made it look mighty smooth.

Well, thanks. That's the goal, to make difficult things look easy. I do the same in another piano song(Pink Floyd's Nobody Home) and with other instrument combinations in other songs.

One concern I have is to keep it from looking like a novelty act. I don't want the audience to get the perception that it's some sort of Ed Sullivanesque juggling/dancing bear show. I still want it to be a rock and roll show.

We're trying to most efficiently utilize our abilities. We're only four guys and some songs call for more.

L

·
0 Posts
Nice goin mon!

Especially with a crowd of bikers!
I'd like to check ya's out sometime.
Post us your next gig.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nicely done... sounds great!

I"m really interested in picking up a tone lab to use for rehearsal, and for just bedroom practicing..

Just wish i could stop buying other stuff... hahah!

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice goin mon!

Especially with a crowd of bikers!
I'd like to check ya's out sometime.
Post us your next gig.
Thanks Man,

I'd say at least 50% of those "bikers" were acountants, teachers, shoe salesmen et cetera. Another 80% were more hardcore but still not members of your traditional "clubs". That leaves.....0.01% comprised of true blue bikers.

They were a fantastic audience though, that's for sure.

Next gig is at Willow Lake Park in Oakland, Ontario on Saturday, July 28.

My site will also show you where we are.
www.tmkb.com

Thanks for asking,

Mike
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nicely done... sounds great!

I"m really interested in picking up a tone lab to use for rehearsal, and for just bedroom practicing..

Just wish i could stop buying other stuff... hahah!

I hear you. I actually got rid of my conventional rig to buy the Tonelab. I'm not inclined to keep a lot of gear I don't expect to use.

The Tonelab LE suits me just fine.

Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice man that friday the 13th was intense biggest one yet!! my band got a gig in the beer tent between the lighthouse theater and the other store not too many people where in there but hey it was fun.... what time where you in the brig? my dad and unlce where in and out of there all day.... friday 13th makes for great gigs though:rockon2: vid sounds good too! much better then my set lol

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sounds great as usual milkman, what do you run the tonelab through? Straight into the PA or an amp?
Thanks Cake,

I run direct to PA via a couple of active DIs and monitor my guitar with the floor wedges. We have two monitor mixes (four wedges) with 800 watts per mix.

This is how long it takes me to sound check my guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrspOznzCo

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
nice man that friday the 13th was intense biggest one yet!! my band got a gig in the beer tent between the lighthouse theater and the other store not too many people where in there but hey it was fun.... what time where you in the brig? my dad and unlce where in and out of there all day.... friday 13th makes for great gigs though:rockon2: vid sounds good too! much better then my set lol
Yeah it was crazy. We played from 10:00 PM until 2:00 AM and it was as packed as packed can be.

Glad you had a ball too. It was one for the record books. I was doing sound all day and then played our three sets. Looooooong day, but a good one.

And thanks for watching.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great tone man. Im looking forward to trying one of those things out

Thanks a lot!

It's funny and kind of sad, but there's a lot of irrational resistance to these types of devices.

Personally I find them quite inspiring.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome tone from that, holy moly. Any idea what it might sound like through a head and cab? Also, are you using the Tonelab LE or the older model, the SE? Thanks in advance :smile:

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Awesome tone from that, holy moly. Any idea what it might sound like through a head and cab? Also, are you using the Tonelab LE or the older model, the SE? Thanks in advance :smile:

Thanks very much. It's an LE, but I did use an SE for a year or so. I can't really qualify this statement, but my gut feeling is that the LE has better sounds. I know I like the slightly smaller size and the few features they eliminated from the SE were sort of nuisances to me anyway.

As for running it through a head and cab, that's probably the least desirable of ways to use these things. I would rank the set ups like this:

1. Direct to PA or recording console
2. Into a keyboard amp
3. In the return of a guitar amp's effects loop
4. Into the input of a guitar amp (with the amp and cabinet models disabled)

The thing is, these devices are designed to REPLACE your amp and pedals, not work with them. They're really not multi effects units per se.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool version....

What I liked the most is how you obviously reference the guitar solo, (from the album track, NOT the 45 rpm single release), but don't cover it "note for note, lick for lick". I'm far more interested in hearing people create music, as opposed to recreating music.

You couldn't pay me enough to do Dover gig on a Friday 13th. I used to go when they considered 5 000 people too crowded. I'm not a fan of feeling like a Sardine all day.

Enjoy Willow Lake. The "residents" provide all the lighting you need when they pull up in their golf carts and leave the headlights on!
Well, that's an interesting observation Paul. I believe strongly in respecting the song in the sense of staying faithful to the harmonic, melodic and lyrical structures. I do take some liberties with arrangements and solos unless it's one of those solos that take on the element of being a composition unto themsleves.

To me these classic songs are every bit as deserving of respect as Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Sounds a bit much I suppose, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I agree on Dover. Personally if I wasn't playing there I wouldn't have come within 20k of the place, but what a great crowd to play to!

Willow Lake will be cool. We'll bring the whole PA, but only a half dozen par 64 cans for lighting.

Thanks for checking out the clip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts