The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
I had one of those moments a couple years ago and it really freaked me out. I was onboarding a new employee and during some small talk I mentioned the previous evening I had watched a great documentary on Janis Joplin. He looked at me with a really strange look and said “Who is Janis Joplin?” So…during my explanation I also mentioned Jimi Hendrix - to which he also had no clue.

I went home that night and said to my wife “Darling, I just done got old.” 🥺
I had a similar one talking to a younger guy at work about what people did when they graduated from high school. Him and his buddies travelled, I told him I got a TV as a grad present but a classmate got a TransAm. A 1980 Turbo.. "What's a TransAm?" Then I said. "That car in Smokey and the Bandit" .... blank stare. Then I realized it was like my dad back in the 80s talking to me about movies from the 1940s I'd never heard of, but it was like he just saw them yesterday.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Try explaining the history of PC programing to them where one had to 'code' around 500 cocaine coloured computer cards to print a dot matrix archaic picture.
View attachment 389458
world map
View attachment 389459
A university geography course I took required a symap, I believe it was called. It involved punching and placing thousands of those cards, then having to go the computer centre to correct it, if the job screwed up. I swear the fail rate was 50%. The flipping thing was worth 30% of the course. I thought of all the hours required and blew it off. Still got the credit and chuckle today at the obsolescence that I avoided.

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
A university geography course I took required a symap, I believe it was called. It involved punching and placing thousands of those cards, then having to go the computer centre to correct it, if the job screwed up. I swear the fail rate was 50%. The flipping thing was worth 30% of the course. I thought of all the hours required and blew it off. Still got the credit and chuckle today at the obsolescence that I avoided.
There is a nightmare that is unique to those of us of a certain "vintage". The nightmare revolves around walking one's deck of keypunch cards over to the university computing center to be read, tripping, and having them fall to the ground, out of sequence, and have some of unknown serial position blow away.

When the teachers in our Laval school system went on rotating strikes, years back, and my sister spent 3 days out of 5 sitting on the curb, mom decided to get her a trade, and enrolled her in a keypunch operator training program. I think the course lasted longer than the career did.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Vintage is a relative term and it is very much in the eye of the beholder. I think in the car market, vintage is considered 25 years old and more, but to me it is hard to think of anything from 1996 as vintage - to me, that qualifier goes to anything from the the 70's or earlier, and I will probably still think the same way 20 years from now. The oldest guitar I have is from 1974, and I bought it in 1989, so it wasn't vintage then, but when I think about it, in 3 years that guitar will be half a century old.

To me, it also depends on the context where the term is used, if the instrument is of desirable quality and how long it has been made. My mind cannot accept the concept of a 1990 Ibanez RG or a Squier guitar as "vintage", since I find these to be fairly common and average instruments, but I can accept the label on a 1990 PRS because these are high-end instruments that had only been in production for 5 years at the time. I don't care too much what people put in their advertisements, as long as they realize that "Vintage" doesn't necessarily mean "Good" and "Rare" doesn't necessarily mean "Valuable".

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
My two tweed amps turned 60, two years ago. My Heathkit TA-16 is 50-something. My arch-top turned 84 this year. I'm somewhere in between the three. I think us "vintage" pieces hold up pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Two of my three grandsons are indigenous and I am looking forward to taking them to a Powwow if they happen again. I haven't been since my twenty's when I rolled with some First Nations people, respect for the drum and dancers!

·
Premium Member
2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco 2016 Gibson Les Paul Special Plus LTD
511 Posts
Two of my three grandsons are indigenous and I am looking forward to taking them to a Powwow if they happen again. I haven't been since my twenty's when I rolled with some First Nations people, respect for the drum and dancers!
Till you can get to a Powwow you can show them videos on youtube.
Young Spirit Singers are quite good. Northern Cree Singers..There are also Grand Entry videos of very large powwows in the states.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think my moment was when I heard the music from my high school years on the classic rock station…And my young cousin’s boyfriend said “Nirvana! Man, I love the classics. Pearl Jam. Nirvana. Green Day.”

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Kids saying something is old when it came out 10 years earlier... both funny and sad
Most people will have knowledge of movies and music that came out when they were in the 10-30 year old range
They just won't inquire about older stuff and will stop caring about the new stuff when they reach a certain age

Regarding vintage... I've read different definitions based on age alone, anything from 20 years old to 40 years old
Funny that something like a 70's Gibson would be considered vintage by most, but an early 90's one wouldn't
In terms of quality, most 70's Gibsons are dogsh*t compared to the 90's ones

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
In 1996 I had to explain to a temporary secretary at our office what carbon paper was. She also referred to me as the "older gentleman in IT". I was 31.
I had to buy some of that to do a tracing on a headstock a couple of months ago. My wife asked 'what's carbon paper?' when the order went through. Damn... I'm the older gentleman in IT.
My mother used to ask for the carbon sheet in between the 2 copies of the Master Charge chit. She would take them home & cut them up as she was worried about the clerk stealing the card number.

P.S. I'm not quite as old as @BlueRocker but my elementary school had a mimeograph machine. Huffing those fumes made all those pop quizzes somewhat tolerable, esp. if you were the lucky one who got sent to the office to pick up the freshly run copies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We're on the tail end of 80's inspired "retro". The 90's will get hot in popular media, and likewise more and more people will perceive the decade as a faraway time when things were good... including the guitars, of course!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts