The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
Saw this advertised in a local facebook gear group -- A "Vintage" 95/96 MIM Stratocaster, Black, rosewood board, $675. I am trying to decide whether or not this a a WTF moment. 馃槖
The term "vintage" shows up for anything that was made before the vendor came of age. So a 199x guitar, pedal, amp is thought of as "vintage" by a great many because they're younger than 30. As I posted here some time back "That's not vintage. That's just old."

Chronology aside, "vintage" gets used these days the way that "computer-designed" and "computer-controlled" used to be 25 years back, as a sort of rhetorical device to add cachet to something.

Registered
I am trying to decide whether or not this a a WTF moment. 馃槖
I had one of those moments a couple years ago and it really freaked me out. I was onboarding a new employee and during some small talk I mentioned the previous evening I had watched a great documentary on Janis Joplin. He looked at me with a really strange look and said 鈥淲ho is Janis Joplin?鈥 So鈥uring my explanation I also mentioned Jimi Hendrix - to which he also had no clue.

I went home that night and said to my wife 鈥淒arling, I just done got old.鈥 馃ズ

Premium Member
When it comes to wine - where the term "vintage" comes from, "vin" referring to wine - the term also refers to a defined time period where the materials and/or production methods stood out in some manner. So, for wine, the grapes harvested and used for a particular year may have been of an exceptional and distinctive quality ("Ah, a 1923 Hufflepuffle!").

I suppose one might use the descriptor "rare", even for recently-made instruments, if there weren't many made. So, for example, Rickenbacker aggressively pursues manufacturers that attempt to make knockoff Rick lookalikes. Of course, they can't know about such knockoffs until they appear on the market, but production will get quickly shut down when the lawyers speak up. Bottom line: not many get made before the stop being made. That tends to make them rare. Of course, it does NOT make them "vintage" in any way, no matter how many years go by.

A Gibson Corvus - one of the ugliest things Gibson ever made - began and ended its short life after only 2-3 years of production in the mid-'80s. Almost 40 years old. Would anyone consider it "vintage" in any way? I highly doubt it. "Collectible"? Maybe, as an example of Gibson's missteps and a mutation in guitar history. Rare? No idea how many are out there.

As for "old", I realized that I was old when not only my students had never seen the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, but their parents probably weren't even born yet when that cataclysmic event happened.

Registered
In 1996 I had to explain to a temporary secretary at our office what carbon paper was. She also referred to me as the "older gentleman in IT". I was 31.
I had to buy some of that to do a tracing on a headstock a couple of months ago. My wife asked 'what's carbon paper?' when the order went through. Damn... I'm the older gentleman in IT.

Registered
When it comes to wine - where the term "vintage" comes from, "vin" referring to wine - the term also refers to a defined time period where the materials and/or production methods stood out in some manner. So, for wine, the grapes harvested and used for a particular year may have been of an exceptional and distinctive quality ("Ah, a 1923 Hufflepuffle!").
Came here to write something similar to this. We place too much emphasis on the term vintage to mean old. It's basically just a way to introduce what year it's from. For example, let's say I list a MIM Strat on kijiji. If someone were interested, they should ask "what vintage is it" and I would say "it's a 95/96, now please pay me $675".

Just saying something is "vintage" as though that adds to its value is pretty meaningless.

Also I chuckled at "Hufflepuffle"

Premium Member
When it comes to guitar gear, "vintage" also refers to a period designated as a "golden era" of some sort, where the materials and workmanship were different and certain design features of the instrument were as well, in a way that is recognized as having exceptional and desirable quality. So, for example, many recent Gibson and Fender guitars strive to have certain design features and materials of a given year or period during the '50s or '60s., after which those features and materials may have been abandoned. Whether a faded "honeyburst" made in 2019 nails the qualities of a '59 that people value, in anything other than a cosmetic way, is a matter for debate. But the fact is that it aims to mimic a '59 because that particular "vintage" is recognized as having special attributes as an instrument.

Keep in mind that a manufacturer will estimate how many units they can produce and sell, and attempts to secure the materials needed, based on that estimate. The wood inventory needed to produce a few hundred instruments a year allows you to be MUCH pickier about wood than if you anticipate making and selling 10,000 a year. As well as older instruments perhaps being made of better quality wood, that wood has also aged. Is 25-30 years enough time to age wood? You decide.

Premium Member
In 1996 I had to explain to a temporary secretary at our office what carbon paper was. She also referred to me as the "older gentleman in IT". I was 31.
As for "old", I realized that I was old when not only my students had never seen the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, but their parents probably weren't even born yet when that cataclysmic event happened.
Try explaining the history of PC programing to them where one had to 'code' around 500 cocaine coloured computer cards to print a dot matrix archaic picture.
Brown Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

world map
Vertebrate Organism Mammal Font Creative arts

Premium Member
I feel the same way when I hear of cars from the 80s and 90s referred to as 鈥渃lassic鈥, vintage, heritage etc.
It鈥檚 a K car FFS. Nobody wanted them then, what has changed?

• Haha
Reactions: Always12AM
1 - 20 of 40 Posts