·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, it is so sad to see people with such hate for one another. Clearly a hate crime I am sure he will get more than a slap on the wrist.
I hope so. I'm disappointed in many people I know who have prejudices for no reason other than the fact cultures are different or because of some garbage spread on social media.
I'd like to see a positive trend as opposed to a negative one. (Like the crap spreading in the southern states and in Quebec and elsewhere in this country)

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
The guy is obviously unstable. I wouldn't chalk him up as representative of anything, but a nutjob.

And let's not go on about the bystanders doing jack shit. It's sad, but unless you're in the situation or have been in that situation, you would have no idea.

I've drilled timing strikes with weapons (it's like double-dutch, essentially), and it'd be tough for me (especially since I have a family). I've also been attacked with a knife to protect my friend during a fight and that was a small nightmare that ended up in a bloody mess.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Does any one know what would've happened, if the BMW ran into the guy?

I think that would've been the safest thing to do, but would the driver get charged for helping?

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,093 Posts
Clearly unhinged and dangling in the breeze, and I really feel for the victims. I was touched by the couple's obvious concern and affection in the TV news interview.

I don't know what I would do if I witnessed such a thing, but I hope I could at least distract the guy. Intervention could get a guy killed or escalate the event, but my adrenaline fueled impulses usually tilts toward getting involved in public shit, running towards accident scenes and the like.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
This sort of hits home as we are good friends with a family of Syrian refugees and i cant help but feel hurt by this attack on innocent victims. What has become of our society is beyond me. The solution to all this hatred and intolerance is far away in my opinion. Sad world sometimes.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
the very first time i ever showed up in toronto similar things happened to us right on the banks of lake ontario, in the same week, two times. the first time some crazy arab looking guy came running up to her kids with a rock the size of a nerf football, shouting "DON'T SAY MY NAME!!!" the other time, a guy was threatening us with a big stick. i have no idea what language he was shouting in, or if it even was a language at all. this happens to canadians for the exact same reason it happens in america. because we both have gov'ts that would rather allow crazy people to live on welfare and walk the streets rather than lock them up in a crazy house.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
The nutjob was ranting about terrorists and ISIS. Other than in Trudeau's head, how does ranting about terrorists qualify as a hate crime? Or has M-103 taken effect?
If the family was white would this of happened?

The bat weilding lunatic presumed membership in an organization (isis) based on race. Perhaps you are right and in a strictly legal sence this is not a hate crime; but can you honestly tell me the mans actions are based on anything other than hate or bias towards another race, religion or???

Getting close to the political folder so I will stop here. I am sure we can all agree that hatred towards someone for being different is just plain wrong.

Just my 2 cents

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime) is a prejudice-motivated crime, usually violent, which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership (or perceived membership) in a certain social group or race.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
If the family was white would this of happened?
You'd have to ask the nutjob who did it.

The bat weilding lunatic presumed membership in an organization (isis) based on race.
No, he did it based on language.

Perhaps you are right and in a strictly legal sence this is not a hate crime; but can you honestly tell me the mans actions are based on anything other than hate or bias towards another race, religion or???
You're assuming that all members of groups like ISIS come from a single race, which is a racist attitude itself. They are not, they come from all races.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
You'd have to ask the nutjob who did it.

No, he did it based on language.

You're assuming that all members of groups like ISIS come from a single race, which is a racist attitude itself. They are not, they come from all races.
That is not my assumption, I am well aware that ISIS has its grips on people of all races. You are wrong.

Prejudice against a language is the same thing and prejudice against race... its prejudice.

It’s clear we will never agree on this, so let’s just stop here.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
That is not my assumption
Based on your previous comments yes, it is you assumption.

I am well aware that ISIS has its grips on people of all races.
Your previous comments indicate otherwise. You said "If the family was white would this of happened?" and "The bat weilding lunatic presumed membership in an organization (isis) based on race." Your previous comments indicate that you presume membership based on race, which is a racist position that you obviously cannot see or admit to.

You are wrong.
No, you are.

Prejudice against a language is the same thing and prejudice against race... its prejudice.
You might want to look up the definition of 'prejudice'. Once you do, you might realize that the person could have had a reason for their position, which means it is not prejudice (here's a hint, prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience - you do not know whether the nutbar had a reason or actual experience which made him dislike terrorists/members of ISIS).

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Based on your previous comments yes, it is you assumption.

Your previous comments indicate otherwise. You said "If the family was white would this of happened?" and "The bat weilding lunatic presumed membership in an organization (isis) based on race." Your previous comments indicate that you presume membership based on race, which is a racist position that you obviously cannot see or admit to.

No, you are.

You might want to look up the definition of 'prejudice'. Once you do, you might realize that the person could have had a reason for their position, which means it is not prejudice (here's a hint, prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience - you do not know whether the nutbar had a reason or actual experience which made him dislike terrorists/members of ISIS).
If you are looking for an argument go to the political section.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts