The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some freak went wild at Virginia Tech this morning and killed 32 students before blowing his own brains off.

Virginia has a concealed handgun law which allows for anyone over the age of 21 to carry a concealed weapon. This maniac went in with two 9mm auto's and a shit load of ammo. Went wild.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Remember the good ol' days when you got stepped out of line the worst that would happen was that someone might just beat the shit out of you?

I can't see that ever happening again as long as people are carrying guns.

Guns mess with the natural order of things.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Just goes to show you the Yanks and their "right to bear arms" isnt always a good thing. They have to pass some firearm legislation as half of their population has a major screw loose. I have a buddy in the U.S Navy who says the gun problem in the states is a lot bigger than what we see. A lot of it doesnt make the news.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The scary thing to me is that Canada is heading in the same direction with the handgun violence. We are becoming more like the states at a fast pace. It seems alot of young folks just see handguns as a cool thing to have and show off to their friends. The connection with what these things really do seems to be getting lost to these kids.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hamm Guitars said:
Remember the good ol' days when you got stepped out of line the worst that would happen was that someone might just beat the shit out of you?

I can't see that ever happening again as long as people are carrying guns.

Guns mess with the natural order of things.
Even without guns , that doesn't work anymore..Stupid gang mentality . You beat a guy , he comes back with his gang . If you get in a fight and get your ass handed to you , that's your problem , and you shouldn't try to get back at the guy . It seems like even just 10 years ago "fair fights " still existed , or maybe I'm just idealising my childhood .

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
maybe we all should start carrying one of these around:

you can play amazing solos and still have personal firearm protection at your disposal hahahaha!!!!!

I think schools should have security which carry these:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Wonder what the guys reason is for this, lets just hope it does not come back to the music he had on his IPOD.

Do you think this if more of a North American thing? Can't seem to remeber this happening in France, Italy, Portugal, Germany or wherever. Maybe its a hidden fact that is hidden from us or I just never heard....Just thinking out loud

Bev

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's another very sad story...

Here in Montreal, we had Dawson college last fall... The daughter of a good friend was in a room just beside where the shooting happened. She is still having problems sleeping and to be alone in their home...

very sad...

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Beat Goes on

Bevo said:
Wonder what the guys reason is for this, lets just hope it does not come back to the music he had on his IPOD.

Do you think this if more of a North American thing? Can't seem to remeber this happening in France, Italy, Portugal, Germany or wherever. Maybe its a hidden fact that is hidden from us or I just never heard....Just thinking out loud

Bev
Its because of a desensitivity to violence. Its all around us.........just take a look at video games, television, sports, world politics or lack thereof, terrorism............ and yes SOME MUSIC, the list goes on. Violence sells and this guy wanted his 15 minutes albeit a very twisted version.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tarl said:
The scary thing to me is that Canada is heading in the same direction with the handgun violence. We are becoming more like the states at a fast pace. It seems alot of young folks just see handguns as a cool thing to have and show off to their friends. The connection with what these things really do seems to be getting lost to these kids.
That's what I am afraid of, too. I hate guns.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Some freak went wild at Virginia Tech this morning and killed 32 students before blowing his own brains off.

Virginia has a concealed handgun law which allows for anyone over the age of 21 to carry a concealed weapon. This maniac went in with two 9mm auto's and a shit load of ammo. Went wild.
A new record, for the next lunatic to shoot for, no pun intended. What a complete shame and waste of life.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Am I the only one to think that the school administrators and various other people in charge of the safety of the students' did a crap job? According to the ctv website, prior to the shooting, a man and woman were killed in the dorms on campus. I mean 2 people killed on campus? That's a pretty big deal if you ask me... Instead they just called the cops and kinda moved on like it wasn't much of a deal, apparently most students didn't even know about all this. And as you all know there was 2 separate shootings today, both of them roughly 2 or so hours apart from each other. A student who was interviewed after all this, said that he only knew about the first shooting rougly 2 hours after it happened, which means he pretty much knew about the first shooting when the second one was taking place... After the first shooting, the school sent out emails to all students, to notify them of the shootings and to tell them to be cautious... Yep...that's right, after the first shooting, they didn't even do a lockdown or anything, instead...they sent emails... And that's not all, here's a little quote from the ctv website: Police said there had been bomb threats on the Virginia Tech campus over the past two weeks but authorities said they have not determined a link to Monday's shootings. Wow...from the sounds of it...students were risking their lives every day just by showing up at school... What a pity... I'm sure that there would have been much less casualties if the people in charge took proper action when this whole mess started...

·
Registered
139 Posts
On the CNN website they are saying now they are not even sure that the same person did both shootings, which were about 2 hours apart.

Two hours between incidents
Two people were killed in a separate incident at a dormitory on the campus about two hours earlier, around 7:15 a.m. University police Chief Wendell Flinchum said police were still investigating whether the two incidents are related.
At a news conference Monday afternoon, Flinchum did not rule out a separate shooter for the dormitory incident

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
When people blame guns for this kind of thing, its not going to help. Its the society that America has created for itself that is the problem. Its a society that spends billions on a war in the middle east and leaves New Orleans in ruins long after its destroyed. In Switzerland every adult owns at least one gun, but things like this never happen. It would be nice if the rest of the world looked at how the Swiss society operated so that we can do the same. This is the difference generated when a country makes military service mandatory, legalizes drugs to rid themselves of gangs, closes its borders to those it doesnt need, makes education a priority, the list goes on and on............

·
Registered
319 Posts
How the West Was Won

Accept2 said:
When people blame guns for this kind of thing, its not going to help. Its the society that America has created for itself that is the problem. Its a society that spends billions on a war in the middle east and leaves New Orleans in ruins long after its destroyed. In Switzerland every adult owns at least one gun, but things like this never happen. It would be nice if the rest of the world looked at how the Swiss society operated so that we can do the same. This is the difference generated when a country makes military service mandatory, legalizes drugs to rid themselves of gangs, closes its borders to those it doesnt need, makes education a priority, the list goes on and on............
I agree with what the Swiss have done with their country.........but we are too hooked on our freedoms and rights about a lot of things over here to follow that avenue. We'd have everybody screaming discrimination this and lawsuit that.
We could learn a thing or two from them.........but we wont.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...how many more children will have to die like this before american conservative nra types finally get it?

they thrive on a culture of violence in a state of denial. everything is war: the war on terror, the war on drugs. guns and bombs are cited in their national anthem. and everyone who does not subscribe to "mainstream values" is seen as an enemy.

as toronto talk show host mike stafford wrote in his blog yesterday: "the first amendment is open to interpretation, but the second amendment is written in stone". the shooter was a poster boy for the nra and american gun culture. they probably even had to pry his gun from his "cold, dead hands".

and yet, if i log onto the american discussion forums today, i'll see a bunch of the aforementioned conservative gun advocates passionately and self-righteously defending their obsession with guns and even suggesting that, had the students and/or professors been armed, it wouldn't have been as bad...

here's what gun advocates and those who oppose strict gun control don't get:

first, an analogy. have you ever seen those "musician wanted ads that end by stating "no jerks, egomaniacs or a-holes, please!" you know, like a guy is going to read that and think "damn! that's me!"

its the same with gun advocates and those who oppose strict gun control and bans on ownership. they keep saying the same thing: we should allow only the "good guys" to own guns, and make sure they don't fall into the hands of the "bad guys".

think for a minute. how many bad guys do you know that actually see themselves as "bad guys"?

i realize that this isn't ONLY about guns. its also about a so-called civilized culture that tolerates and even encourages violence, a culture that has a seriously screwed up definition of "masculinity" and a morbid fear of something they call "the feminization of western civilization". a culture that labels people with compassion as "do-gooders" and people who oppose war as "peaceniks".

on the other hand, i'll see the royalties i receive for a song i wrote in 1970 called "drop your guns" take a serious upward spike over the next few months, just as they did in the aftermath of columbine, 9-11 and the invasion of iraq.

i can use the money, no doubt, but there's no joy in it.

-dh

·
Registered
485 Posts
david henman said:
...how many more children will have to die like this before american conservative nra types finally get it?

they thrive on a culture of violence in a state of denial. everything is war: the war on terror, the war on drugs. guns and bombs are cited in their national anthem. and everyone who does not subscribe to "mainstream values" is seen as an enemy.

as toronto talk show host mike stafford wrote in his blog yesterday: "the first amendment is open to interpretation, but the second amendment is written in stone". the shooter was a poster boy for the nra and american gun culture. they probably even had to pry his gun from his "cold, dead hands".

and yet, if i log onto the american discussion forums today, i'll see a bunch of the aforementioned conservative gun advocates passionately and self-righteously defending their obsession with guns and even suggesting that, had the students and/or professors been armed, it wouldn't have been as bad...

here's what gun advocates and those who oppose strict gun control don't get:

first, an analogy. have you ever seen those "musician wanted ads that end by stating "no jerks, egomaniacs or a-holes, please!" you know, like a guy is going to read that and think "damn! that's me!"

its the same with gun advocates and those who oppose strict gun control and bans on ownership. they keep saying the same thing: we should allow only the "good guys" to own guns, and make sure they don't fall into the hands of the "bad guys".

think for a minute. how many bad guys do you know that actually see themselves as "bad guys"?

i realize that this isn't ONLY about guns. its also about a so-called civilized culture that tolerates and even encourages violence, a culture that has a seriously screwed up definition of "masculinity" and a morbid fear of something they call "the feminization of western civilization". a culture that labels people with compassion as "do-gooders" and people who oppose war as "peaceniks".

on the other hand, i'll see the royalties i receive for a song i wrote in 1970 called "drop your guns" take a serious upward spike over the next few months, just as they did in the aftermath of columbine, 9-11 and the invasion of iraq.

i can use the money, no doubt, but there's no joy in it.

-dh
I must agree. I've been strongly criticized for my stance on gun control, but I don't care. Here's the bottom line for me....
It's impossible to proactively legislate against 'the stupid and the mad' (that is, the people who commit these horrible atrocities). Therefore, you must legislate against the tools that 'the stupid and the mad' use to conduct their crime sprees. We need to be proactive to prevent this type of thing, not reactive once it's already happened. The gun lobbyists are all over this thing now, claiming that if everyone had a gun, the death rate would be lower. How about this..... if the killer didn't have a gun in the first place, the death rate would be zero.

When the rights of the individual (to own guns) supercede the rights of society as a whole to safety, you're going to have trouble.

Go ahead and shoot me, but that's my stance on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Gun Toting Lunatics

The gun lobbyist point of view reminds me of Archie Bunkers solution to ending skyjackings........"Arm all your passengers". Its going to be a long, long process to change this train of thought.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
I must agree. I've been strongly criticized for my stance on gun control, but I don't care. Here's the bottom line for me....
It's impossible to proactively legislate against 'the stupid and the mad' (that is, the people who commit these horrible atrocities). Therefore, you must legislate against the tools that 'the stupid and the mad' use to conduct their crime sprees. We need to be proactive to prevent this type of thing, not reactive once it's already happened. The gun lobbyists are all over this thing now, claiming that if everyone had a gun, the death rate would be lower. How about this..... if the killer didn't have a gun in the first place, the death rate would be zero.
When the rights of the individual (to own guns) supercede the rights of society as a whole to safety, you're going to have trouble.
Go ahead and shoot me, but that's my stance on it.
...its really no different than things like speed limits, which apply to everyone, not just so-called bad drivers.

its the psychology of this that gun advocates fail to acknowledge, much less grasp.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
The gun lobbyist point of view reminds me of Archie Bunkers solution to ending skyjackings........"Arm all your passengers". Its going to be a long, long process to change this train of thought.

...i still hear this kind of rhetoric advanced by gun advocates.

and, already, i'm hearing that this is a "gun free" campus, and that nra types jumping all over that.

-dh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts