The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Phil McKnight is a very controversial guy in the world of guitar videos. Some, like myself, think he's a smug fool. Others like him. To each his own.

Just go to gearpage sometime. He has a habit of buying guitars to use in his videos and then returning them, usually to Guitar Center; a blatant case of using his "celebrity" to take advantage of a store's liberal return policy, and consequently, the salesperson who sold him the instrument, who now loses his or her commission.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Phil McKnight is a very controversial guy in the world of guitar videos. Some, like myself, think he's a smug fool. Others like him. To each his own.

Just go to gearpage sometime. He has a habit of buying guitars to use in his videos and then returning them, usually to Guitar Center; a blatant case of using his "celebrity" to take advantage of a store's liberal return policy, and consequently, the salesperson who sold him the instrument, who now loses his or her commission.
You’re just regurgitating the Guitologists take on the issue. There’s more to it. Phil isn’t Jimmy Page, but he is a guy that has played for years (not just talked about it on the internet) and owned a manufacturing business (he built basses) and owned his own successful music store. He always comes at the issues using honesty and integrity. Because of that he has become very successful on YouTube (enough for him to close his music store) which pisses off a lot of trolls. To focus on Guitologists issue, Phil received a Telecaster from (I think Guitar Center) and it played horrible. Yes it needed a full set-up and the arguement was Phil is a tech so he should have set it up himself and shut up. Phil took the view that what if someone saved up for this guitar, made sacrifices, went without and finally purchased this guitar only to find it was basically unplayable. New. Out of the box. It makes Fender look bad and it makes Guitar Center look bad so he sent it back. He got boned and made a video about it. If more people did that the guitars would ship in better condition. He did the same thing to Sweetwaters. They claimed to have a 55 point inspection prior to shipping. He has received guitars from them in the past which had obviously been set up properly but noticed in his last few purchases that the quality was slipping and he called them on it. Sweetwater responded by revamping their inspection routine. Because of that my next US purchase will likely come from them. Phil’s a nice guy on YouTube. But the real meat and potatoes is in his Patreon videos where he doesn’t hold his tongue as much. He’s one of the few people I trust on YouTube right now.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts

Brad called him out on just that and Phillip had a hissy fit...

...so Brad put out this video. Flex!!!
(watch to the end!)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
More trolling. It’s become a formula. Generate stats by creating drama. Just like the rappers and their diss tracks. Zzzzz.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts

Which guitars and when? You sound like you're just playing into the hype with no proof, just vaguely libelous defamatory claims.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No-one is allowed an opinion any more.
However there's not much opinion in that video I posted.

Seems that everyone on YouTube can't possibly be either knowledgeable or opinionated.

I've come up with some opinions of my own....

Be careful of whom you mouth off from behind the keyboard; they may find your YouTube channel and post your fuck ups you forgot to delete.

Or they genuinely may know more than you.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You’re just regurgitating the Guitologists take on the issue. There’s more to it. Phil isn’t Jimmy Page, but he is a guy that has played for years (not just talked about it on the internet) and owned a manufacturing business (he built basses) and owned his own successful music store. He always comes at the issues using honesty and integrity. Because of that he has become very successful on YouTube (enough for him to close his music store) which pisses off a lot of trolls. To focus on Guitologists issue, Phil received a Telecaster from (I think Guitar Center) and it played horrible. Yes it needed a full set-up and the arguement was Phil is a tech so he should have set it up himself and shut up. Phil took the view that what if someone saved up for this guitar, made sacrifices, went without and finally purchased this guitar only to find it was basically unplayable. New. Out of the box. It makes Fender look bad and it makes Guitar Center look bad so he sent it back. He got boned and made a video about it. If more people did that the guitars would ship in better condition. He did the same thing to Sweetwaters. They claimed to have a 55 point inspection prior to shipping. He has received guitars from them in the past which had obviously been set up properly but noticed in his last few purchases that the quality was slipping and he called them on it. Sweetwater responded by revamping their inspection routine. Because of that my next US purchase will likely come from them. Phil’s a nice guy on YouTube. But the real meat and potatoes is in his Patreon videos where he doesn’t hold his tongue as much. He’s one of the few people I trust on YouTube right now.
I agree. Phil isn't perfect but people are flipping out because he has the guts to be critical sometimes?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
That comment was in respone to DrumBob. I’ve seen all the videos including the hilarious Flex one.
That's what it boiled down to, Phil got in more than one guitar and ended up sending it back for some issues that he could've rectified.
Still in his right to do so, but Brad just called him on it for the fact that he works on guitars for part of his living.
He sort of stated that Phil was just getting these guitars in for fodder on his channel, then sendig them back.

I can't say what his motivation was, could've been as simple as not wanting to work on a new guitar.
It got blown out of proportion, imo.

Btw, I watch a lot of Phils vids too, I enjoy his Sharpen my Axe episodes.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
That's what it boiled down to, Phil got in more than one guitar and ended up sending it back for some issues that he could've rectified.
Still in his right to do so, but Brad just called him on it for the fact that he works on guitars for part of his living.
He sort of stated that Phil was just getting these guitars in for fodder on his channel, then sendig them back.

I can't say what his motivation was, could've been as simple as not wanting to work on a new guitar.
It got blown out of proportion, imo.

Btw, I watch a lot of Phils vids too, I enjoy his Sharpen my Axe episodes.
Did you get the chance to watch Phil's second vid? He explained the reason why he sent it back even though he could have worked on some of the issues himself. It wasn't about that. Check it out, it's worth watching. Good thing he hasn't met my wife. She orders multiples of everything and sends the ones back that don't fit or she doesn't like as much. I tell her "think of the environmental cost dear". She says "think of my happiness dear".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts