The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here are the results. I picked #1. I have a nice set of powered digital monitors.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I guessed Oscar correct but to be honest I liked #1 the best. I thought it sounded better than either R9 or the Tokai especially on the neck pickup.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Interesting ideed fella's. The Heritage was my favorite with Oscar an awfully close 2nd.

1. H-150
2. Oscar
3. 2013 R9
4. Tokai
5. 1995 R9

Go figure. I've got good monitors as well. The bridge and neck combinations came into effect for what I picked as well. I think the Neck on the Oscar was a bit better than the Heritage to my ear.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OMFG!!
What a pointless exercise.
There's 40 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.
Thanks for that.
I persisted through it.
I kept waiting for some divine revelation to reveal itself to me... but no.
Only number two was different.
The others were all slightly, minutely different, yes but certainly not enough so to waste 40 minute of my life.
I'm not an idiot.
I can hear there were some tiny, teeny variations ... but 40 minutes?
Come on.
Jesus Christ.
Find something else to obsess over.
Fuck sakes.
Not a single person in your audience is going to be like, "Oh wow, I could really hear the difference there since the last time I heard you play. Those new pickups are the bomb."

Fuck me....

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I'm impressed by anyone who can make it through a Doug and Pat video.
They definitely aren't to my personal tastes.
I've tried to watched these guys so many times in the past, but have never made it beyond about two minutes. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
For those of us not interested in watching the whole thing, what (or who) is Oscar?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
For those of us not interested in watching the whole thing, what (or who) is Oscar?
Oscar is their beloved 58 Les Paul gold top with PAF pickups. Without a doubt (in their eyes) the greatest guitar ever built.

I would have like to have seen a set of Vineham Sweet 59's thrown into the mix somewhere, just for sh1ts & giggles. And for the record, I barely made into guitar #2 when I shut it down and watched sawmill videos instead. B#(*

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I watched the whole thing just because I've only seen 1 or 2 of their other videos, and more than likely not all the way through for those. But I wanted to find out about Oscar, which I was totally unfamiliar with. Never heard it played till last night. But I did spend some extra time jumping from example to example in both B & N positions because I reeeeaaallllly love testing my ears and finding tones I enjoy. I have a specific sound in my head that is fairly specific, so it's easy for me to make a choice for myself. So for that I give those guys kudos for taking the time to set that up. @Lincoln , I think we need to have a little "discussion" on some guitar electronics at some point.

It's always been about the Wood when I go over there.

Fuck. What did I just say.

;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts