The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500 feet of my house.

If I get up to go to the bathroom at night, I'm blinded by his outside light. We don't need blinds or curtains in our windows, we're so far from any other house.

Two other neighbours are highly annoyed, but won't talk to him about it.

I complained to the city, there's a clear bylaw against such a thing. They gave him a warning and eventually a fine he didn't pay. He doesn't give a ... about it.

What would you do ?

This is what I see from my windows.

This is the grass in the back yard, not shadowed by my cottage. (remember, he's 500 feet behind you in this pic)

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Meet fire with fire. Get a brighter light and flood his place with it.

Silly shit is more to my taste.

Pat Boone's "In A Metal Mood" and Paul Anka's "Rock Swings" on repeat all night, followed by bagpipes at dawn?

Load up a potato cannon with fish heads and fire them into his eavestroughs.

Cordless drill meets tires.

Seriously, I got nothing except repeated calls to the bylaw officer, and a letter from a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If there is a by-law in place push the city to take stronger action. They have a lot more power to resolve this issue than you do. Call your councillors and make them aware of this and make sure that you are serious in holding them responsible for the solution.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not much I didn't try guys. I even went to the extent of making and installing at my own risk, an aluminium custom cut shade, that I embedded in his plastic globe. First try, he commented that it was like a candle now. Second version covered only a section that hid it from my place, screw the other neighbours that don't want to get involved. That 25% shade made it through one winter while I was away. When I came back a month ago, it was gone.

If there is a by-law in place push the city to take stronger action. They have a lot more power to resolve this issue than you do. Call your councillors and make them aware of this and make sure that you are serious in holding them responsible for the solution.
There is a strong bylaw and the city gave him warnings and a fine he didn't pay. They tell once there, they won't send the police to deal with a light.

It's a nuisance, borderline aggression. I re-mailed the city telling them to put their pants and do something about it. If they don't, I'll fill a complaint with the police.

Pellet or bB gun is not an option

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Not much I didn't try guys. I even went to the extent of making and installing at my own risk, an aluminium custom cut shade, that I embedded in his plastic globe. First try, he commented that it was like a candle now. Second version covered only a section that hid it from my place, screw the other neighbours that don't want to get involved. That 25% shade made it through one winter while I was away. When I came back a month ago, it was gone.

There is a strong bylaw and the city gave him warnings and a fine he didn't pay. They tell once there, they won't send the police to deal with a light.

It's a nuisance, borderline aggression. I re-mailed the city telling them to put their pants and do something about it. If they don't, I'll fill a complaint with the police.

Pellet or bB gun is not an option
Did we establish what his concern is? Is it security? or just likes to light up his yard?

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
If a neighbour was blasting music after 11PM, one could have the police come by to tell them to turn it down. After all, being allowed to sleep is a right. If floodlights are penetrating one's home, and impairing sleep, there seems to be less perceived urgency in the need to respond, even though the net impact (your lights/music are driving me nuts) is the same.

Given that this appears to be a rural or semi-rural location, perhaps the neighbour might consider lower-level distributed light if the objective is to guard against something. I would imagine that the single high-intensity source is not doing wonders for their sleep either.

Or is there something criminal going on?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
You say there is a by law, and he has been charged and fined, although he didn't pay. Keep on the city's/town's ass. Call lots and complain, if that does not work, try the local newspaper. They usually love stories where the local council/office are not doing their jobs in an obvious fashion.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Funny how such a small thing can be so annoying.

For me its dog owners who don't keep their dogs quiet. If I go to a big city I rarely, if ever, hear a dog bark. But here in the village its non-stop. All the nearest dogs have been trained to obey my order to "SHUT UP" (followed by a rock hitting something close to them). Why should I have to discipline other peoples dogs? It's not the dogs fault -- they are tied up, caged and abandonded all day -- it's the owners fault ("oh, my dog doesn't bark"). One neighbour actually apologized this week and said the dogs would no longer be left out when they are away. I wish everyone was that thoughtful.

I don't know what I would do in your case. But I know it would bug me too. I think you are aware that you are not allowed to trespass or vandalize. Seems unfair that your neighbour is not taught to be polite.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I can sympathize as I have the same problem. A politically well-connected lawyer and her husband, both up in years, built a 4300 sq. ft. mcmansion behind our place and have gas lights in the yard that burn 24/7. Unbelievably annoying! The one furthest from our property seems to have gone out or they turned it off as it shines more in their windows. Occasionally a huge wind will blow them out, much to my delight.
Now my neighbour to the side has put up solar lights on a tall pedestal that while not as bright as the gas lights, still shine into our eyes when on the deck at night or looking out the windows. I just don't get it. We need more darkness.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
This sounds like a PITA situation. Annoying for sure.
You are correct. The barking for some dogs is quite desperate.

"I'm here. I'm alone. Where's the pack? Help me, help me."

Unfortunately, such owners learn nothing from a call to the Humane Society. "But, I LOVE my dog!"

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Did we establish what his concern is? Is it security? or just likes to light up his yard?
He put it up while he was building, because he said he was afraid someone would come and steel some of his material. I never seen anything left outside at night. He's anal about that light.
... perhaps the neighbour might consider lower-level distributed light if the objective is to guard against something. I would imagine that the single high-intensity source is not doing wonders for their sleep either.
Like I said before, I tried that and it didn't last. I heard his wife complains about the light in the windows at night.
Call lots and complain, if that does not work, try the local newspaper.
That's exactly where I'm at.
I think you are aware that you are not allowed to trespass or vandalize.
I know that, but it's friggin' tempting ! What about parking my van by his house at 2 in the morning and with the help of a current converter, give him some Star Spangled Banner à la Jimi or some Eddy VH, until he turns it down.

And there is NO WAY I am going to put blinds on my windows. I am in the middle of nowhere and he has no right doing what he's doing.

Am I not far enough from my neighbours ?

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
I hate to say it, but when you have a neighbor that does not exhibit any sort of good-neighbor attitude, your only recourse (besides the laws, which may never work) is probably fighting fire with fire. A very directional high intensity light aimed right at his house. He couldn't really complain about yours without realizing what a prick he is being. Maybe it doesn't bother him but it sounds like it will have an impact on his wife - and therefore his 'happy life' probably won't be anymore.

The other option, although expensive and high-impact: is there any way the physic would work such that you could build a wall that will put your house in a shadow? I'd still just go with a huge, directional spotlight. Way cheaper, and no impact in the daytime.

Reactions: Lola
1 - 20 of 99 Posts