Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone.

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for you or the community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

The foundation of the new platform is built on Xenforo, but it is a completely custom-built code base. There will be some changes to how certain tasks are done, like moderating posts and users. Our new platform is designed to put the moderator actions in more convenient areas, making them directly accessible within the forum and threads. This removes the need to login to a separate backend mod panel. There will also be some changes to Admin Control Panel access for those with Admin level privileges, including the need to use 2-factor authentication. We’ll give you more information shortly on those changes.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. As a member of the moderator team in this community, we know it is important to work closely with you every step of the way.

Site Review & Cleanup

The next step in this process is to prepare the site for migration to a new platform. We’ll start soon on some general maintenance tasks to ensure that there is no outdated or obsolete data that may conflict with the new platform structure or new features added to the site. We’ll be focusing on some specific areas:

• Cleaning obsolete and outdated permissions and access: Some section titles, forum organization &/or permissions may change
  • Removing inactive user groups, badges, and ranks: Badges work differently on Xenforo than they do currently. You may not see your expected badges after migration, but our development team is working on ways to implement badges for special member recognition in the future.
  • Cleaning up/ adding off-topic sections: We may be creating new forums/sections, to provide standardized structure support or off-topic conversations.
Part of the migration process is reviewing plugins. To ensure the site functions better overall, some plugins and products may not migrate. We will no longer be using third-party applications and plug-ins to add features and products to the sites. Instead, we will build features ourselves so we can better manage and maintain them moving forward.

We will also be going through the site and documenting any links/articles and stand-alone content that may not migrate. For content that is still relevant but cannot be migrated in its current form, we will be putting that information into threads or archiving it. Rest assured, that even if data is not visible after migration, it is all backed up for consideration after migration. If there is a specific area that you are concerned about, please let us know.

During this process, we make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! Let us know and we can double-check. We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to you (the moderator team) and the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

Change can be difficult for some of our members and we truly appreciate your ongoing support and leadership within the community. On behalf of the entire Community Support team, thank you for all that you do!

- Community Support

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I have a question regarding the Trading Rating we have now in here. Would that be carried over? Or we stand to lose our ratings and have to start all over again. Which would be unfortunate because a lot of us use it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I look forward to the new site. Best of luck with the overhaul. Thanks for the existing community we now enjoy. Much better than another I joined recently.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Not that I'm a negative person or anything like that but I was just reading in another thread about somebody wishing we had a "dislike" function. We used to have one a long time ago, any chance of bringing that back?

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
So, when are we talking about the move?
Will subscription still mean ad free?
I lost a lot of trade ratings and email during the last move, can we make sure (trade is a BIG one ) we can move these please.

·
Premium Member
7,453 Posts
I have a question regarding the Trading Rating we have now in here. Would that be carried over? Or we stand to lose our ratings and have to start all over again. Which would be unfortunate because a lot of us use it. Thanks.
Also, how about our storage of PM's?
Will we lose our conversations?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
So no TapaTalk support? That’s the final nail in my coffin.

I want and need my forum experiences to be consistent, and not scattered and random by whatever nuances or screwups the random owners and admins make. Without that, it’s inefficient and not worth the time to contribute.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts

I want and need my forum experiences to be consistent, and not scattered and random by whatever nuances or screwups the random owners and admins make. Without that, it’s inefficient and not worth the time to contribute.
There has been no tapatalk support on this site for at least 5 years. I stopped updating it long before the site was sold and as far as I can tell its was never updated afterwards. Those forum reading apps are all obsolete now. The new technology and software for forums automatically creates a mobile version that is as good as anything you can find on 3rd party apps. They are simply not needed any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Not sure what you’re talking about, Scott (@GuitarsCanada). Been working great the last 5 years. Every single one of my posts and responses and PMs have been through TapaTalk app on iPhone from the start including this one. In this thread’s 10 responses before this one, at least 4 were Tapatalk. Two of the 4 people that liked your post are in Tapatalk. I got notification of your quote of my post in Tapatalk. ???

I am not just talking about functionality, but consistency. I have enough things going on that learning every software bug across the board is just not worth it. And all forum web implementations are buggy in their own way. Since this one is going to be custom, it’s even going to be worse than less customized ones.

·
Super Moderator
15,759 Posts
Interesting. I no longer use it, and haven't since just after i first signed on to it. It appears to be working in the background on my phone. Now I need to figure out how to get it out of there :)

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Not sure what you’re talking about, Scott (@GuitarsCanada). Been working great the last 5 years. Every single one of my posts and responses and PMs have been through TapaTalk app on iPhone from the start including this one. In this thread’s 10 responses before this one, at least 4 were Tapatalk. Two of the 4 people that liked your post are in Tapatalk. I got notification of your quote of my post in Tapatalk. ???

I am not just talking about functionality, but consistency. I have enough things going on that learning every software bug across the board is just not worth it. And all forum web implementations are buggy in their own way. Since this one is going to be custom, it’s even going to be worse than less customized ones.
I never said it's not "on the site". What I said was there has been no support for it for at least 5 years. Any software updates that tapatalk may have made in the past 5 years have never been uploaded to the site. It is running old software and most likely very outdated. Sooner or later a newer version of Xenforo won't run it and I guarantee you nobody is going to update that app on this site. It will be eliminated when they migrate to the new Xenforo software. Count on it. You may like it but from a back end perspective it was garbage from day one. Buggy as hell. Those apps were used when forum software would not render on cell phones. That problem has been resolved for years now.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I never said it's not "on the site". What I said was there has been no support for it for at least 5 years. Any software updates that tapatalk may have made in the past 5 years have never been uploaded to the site. It is running old software and most likely very outdated. Sooner or later a newer version of Xenforo won't run it and I guarantee you nobody is going to update that app on this site. It will be eliminated when they migrate to the new Xenforo software. Count on it. You may like it but from a back end perspective it was garbage from day one. Buggy as hell. Those apps were used when forum software would not render on cell phones. That problem has been resolved for a years now.
Fair enough. And then I will be completely gone as opposed to mostly gone now because of the various semi-recent administrative fiascos. Eventually enough is enough.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts

I stopped using TapaTalk a year ago. Talk about inconsistent experience. Just use the web browsers on all my devices now and I'm much happier. You mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
About 2FA. I don't recommend it for the mods/admins (really, I don't recommend it for anyone). Phone number porting is becoming more and more common. Takes less than 30 min to lose your number and with 2FA, it's ten seconds before the hacker gets admin rights to this site.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Fair enough. And then I will be completely gone as opposed to mostly gone now because of the various semi-recent administrative fiascos. Eventually enough is enough.
To be very clear. I don't make those decisions any longer. I have nothing to do with the software or programming of anything on the site anymore. That is all done by VerticalScope (owners). But personally, if I was, I would phase out any 3rd party forum reading apps.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
To be very clear. I don't make those decisions any longer. I have nothing to do with the software or programming of anything on the site anymore. That is all done by VerticalScope (owners). But personally, if I was, I would phase out any 3rd party forum reading apps.
I am clear on that. I don’t agree with you on this sentiment and I will assert that one ignores the users at own peril since they are the content and the product, but I am clear this isn’t your site any longer. You did rescue the last major admin fiasco, however, which is the only reason that I exist here at all these days, so while I disagree and a lack of a consistent interface ON MULTIPLE FORUMS I participate in will eliminate me from here, I do thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
I'm with you. I didn't read your original response before I said I don't use Tapatalk any longer either. The web browsers have just gotten so much better and I guess forum software is now really good at formatting for whatever screen you are using too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.