The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Maybe as the wood gets farther away from the bowl , they get cheaper ...if number 32 is 15 g can you imagine what number 1 would cost..

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I get that this is an art piece and collectible...but essentially $18K (after taxes) for a Norlin era guitar (pancake construction) that's been left out in the rain...yeah...this is not a players guitar.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Well it looks like the whole relic craze/fad has reached a new level of absurdity. Like ya man the years of musical performance has made for good vibes in the cheap wood. What a load of marketing BS!

C'mon Fender, is that the best you got? Good thing there are plenty of partscasters and bespoke luthiers.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Sorry, that price is just totally insane. I'll admit, its a cool looking guitar, but not 15k worth of good looking.

It's funny we're all about the tone wood, and this guitar has cracks i can park my car in. LOL

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
This just came to my email from Cosmos. Its kind of a cool looking guitar but seeing the price of this guitar seems like you're paying 15k for a piece of drift wood.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bitch all you like but these will be collected and resold amongst doctor/lawyer/executive collector types and just keep going up even higher in value over time. Nostalgia is a big motivator for rich older guys always looking for more cool things money can buy. Guys with fond memories of shows they saw at the Bowl in their youth will be all over these.

Totally not for me but I think it's a cool idea.

·
Premium Member
11,661 Posts
Not that it isn't cool, but the price...Insanity bordering on the surreal. Or is it surrealism bordering on insanity? What's next, Preservation Hall, an electric chair, gallows, Mata Hari's bedpost?

The whole whatever floats your boat thing has gotten out of hand.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Not that it isn't cool, but the price...Insanity bordering on the surreal. Or is it surrealism bordering on insanity? What's next, Preservation Hall, an electric chair, gallows, Mata Hari's bedpost?

The whole whatever floats your boat thing has gotten out of hand.
I agree. Not a big fan of novelty guitars. But collectors seem to be. Easy sell, the guitar can play like junk and it doesn't matter because it isn't really built to be played.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Might be more of interest to California residents or people with money who have good memories at the Hollywood Bowl.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I just read this:

"Crafted from 100-year-old Alaskan yellow cedar reclaimed from the original bench boards that have been resonating with the sounds emanating from the Hollywood Bowl since 1919. "

Tone wood by osmosis? I heard the early 1940s concerts had the best resonance for infusing great tone into seating planks, but it is hotly debated. Some say the wood doesn't even matter. As if.

Reactions: Rabbit

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
Looks like someone made it in grade 10 woodshop; good idea though and better than making a gun rack like everyone else in the class.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I think it's a great idea. A little piece of music history wrapped up in a nice tidy package from a well known Luthier and company. Well preserved so it will last as an art piece or possibly a player guitar in the right hands. WHo knows. Maybe it sound fantastic. I figured there would be a bunch of hissing and booing, which is OK as well. But athere are people out there that'll pay a shitload more money for something like a life preserver from the Titanic than this functional work of art. Check out the price someone paid for a 1993 Foil Derek Jeeter baseball card....$38000.
I like it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts