The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the new '62 RI Chris Stapleton Brownface Princeton Reverb (that's a lot of words!) is coming out, I was wondering if anyone has any brown face amps (originals or custom builds) and what you think about them. Care to share any pictures or sound clips? It's definitely my favourite era of Fender, I think, and that harmonic tremolo of the bigger sized amps sounds unbelievable. Any brown face love?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Brownface era amps? You bet. I do indeed like them. Actually, come to think of it from 1948 to 1975 all the different eras of Fender amps have special qualities that I love.

I currently own a 1962 Brown Vibrolux. Dual 6L6 1x12 amp. About 28W. Bias vary tremolo. Love it. Nice break up. Awesome trem. A rarely seen amp it seems.

A few years ago sold my original 1963 6G2 Princeton on here. I proceeded to build my own clone. In a head format. Dual 6V6 and bias vary trem. Wonderful amps. Love it. I usually run it into a 1x12 cab, however also have 2x12 cab option.

I just recently sold a 1962 Blonde Twin with 5 triode harmonic tremolo. 80W four 5881 power tubes. 2x12. Wow. Loud and proud. More amp than I can use these days. I tried to find a buyer in Canada. Unfortunately it went to New Orleans. I got a good dollar for it. The new owner is on cloud 9.

My clone 6G2 during the build. Not dressed up yet:

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
The big brother of one of my high school friends had a brownface Deluxe Reverb with two 10s as I recall. He played a Watkins Rapier through it. I forget whether it was a 2 or 3-pickup model. He sold me his castoff Kent guitar and Symphonic amp.

I have a dual 12AX7/dual-6V6 tube head I bought at a Songbird Music garage sale a decade back, to turn into something else. I think it may be ideal for a 6G2 conversion.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Thanks EVERYONE who posted in here, that new reissue sounds great. @keithb7 that Vibroluxe just derailed my (first of 2) 66 Pro Reverb for favourite vintage Fender. First one I got cheap at a music store in Saskatoon, having taken back a Marshall 50W combo, totally no good for a young family in a cheap rental townhouse lol. That would have been...94-5. A few years later, I sold it to Brian at Avenue in a young family type cash crunch, and regretted it to today. 10-12 years later, I got another one, from Avenue. And I spent lots on it, a pair of old C12Ns, a visit to the tech, tube rolling...it never sounded as good as the first one.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I had a brown Deluxe for a while and really liked it. Unfortunately was a casualty of a GAS attack.

The new Stapleton one sounds nice in the clips.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are such amazing amps everyone, thank you so much for sharing! :)

I haven't ever even played one but I definitely hope to own a Fender Brownface style amp someday. It's a bucket list thing.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I do not have one but after listening to Joel Landreth in this episode of that pedal show I WANT ONE! This episode is mostly talking but some tasty playing mixed in here and there through a vintage brownface super.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't sell you one, but I might know where you'd be able to 'dig one up'.......

.....just hopefully not for quite a few decades.
The Princeton, at 12 watts, doesn't have much headroom I figure.. clean up till like 3 or 4? Could you gig with it?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
It's going to be direct competition with the new Orange, similar combo with Trem, probably similar $$. I need to listen to both clips back to back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts