The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for an MP3 player for PC with a speed/ pitch control for PC.

There are a lot of songs in my library I would like to play along with that are slightly off pitch (not half steps).

I'm sure there must be some good players out there that will do this.
What are you using?

I don't mind paying for a good player.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I use the Amazing Slow Downer (ASD). It plays .mp3 and .wav files and allows separate adjustment of pitch and speed.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Windows media player does it.
It appears that Windows Media Player 12 only has slow normal and fast speed controls.

I use the Amazing Slow Downer (ASD). It plays .mp3 and .wav files and allows separate adjustment of pitch and speed.
I downloaded ASD and am giving it a try and seems to do exactly what I want.
Are you using the free version or the pay full version?

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I downloaded ASD and am giving it a try and seems to do exactly what I want.
Are you using the free version or the pay full version?
The free version. For the little bit I use it, it seems to do everything I want. Thus the recommendation.

My vocal teacher recommended it for pitch shifting (and makes it good for learning Jimi or SRV) but I find the speed thing is nice for learning tricky guitar solo parts. "Ahhh, so that's what he's going there ....... "

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I sprung for the full feature version of ASD and I'm pretty happy with it.
Any idea what the full version does that the simple one doesn't? Maybe I shouldn't ask because I am happy (so far) with what I've got.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm using both Audacity, and Riffstation (both free).

I like Riffstation because it also displays the chords.

Riffstation was bought by fender and right now it's free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Any idea what the full version does that the simple one doesn't? Maybe I shouldn't ask because I am happy (so far) with what I've got.
Honestly, I don't remember what feature it was that I needed - but there was something that I wanted to do that caused me to fork over the cash.

Audicty does that and is free.
I've used Audacity, and it works, but with ASD you can adjust pitch and tempo with faders on the fly; you don't have to re-process the tune every time you want something different. Though maybe Audacity has improved since the last time I used it.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I had some time to have a good look at ASD. Great interface and features.
As mentioned above the trial download only lets you play the first quarter of a file or the first two tracks on a CD.
Full price is $49 US which is OK, but, it doesn't have a secure ordering form, so I will pass on this program.

Audacity seems to have speed adjustment only and it can't be adjusted while the file is playing which doesn't work for me.

I'll look into Riff Station next as my search continues ...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here's the link to the free download

- Download Riffstation for Desktop

It allows you to alter pitch and speed on the fly.

I use it when I'm practicing for my worship team at church. They usually sing in a different key than what's on YouTube. I easily adjust the pitch to match my key and I'm on my way to learning the songs.

Got this from their website:

Slow down a song or change the tempo

With Riffstation, you can set the pace! Slow down any song without affecting the pitch and sync a metronome to help with your timing. Our amazing slow down tool lets you slow down or speed up any song in your music collection without affecting the pitch. You can slow down as much as much as 25% of the original tempo, or speed up to double speed and everywhere in between. Our high quality time stretching algorithm ensures that the pitch and quality of the sound remain as natural as possible. Now you can learn and practice at your own speed.

Change the key or pitch

Have you ever tried to learn or practice a song only to find it’s tuned a half step down or between two keys? Perhaps you like to sing too and you’d prefer to learn the song in a different key than the original recording. With the pitch tool you can transpose any song to a new key without affecting tempo. For the out of tune recordings, you can fine tune in cents! Now you can retune the song instead of the guitar. Riffstation also has a capo tool which allows you to transpose only the chords without transposing the audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks iamthehub.

I have downloaded it and have given it a quick test.
It looks a good program that will do what I want.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I'm looking for recommendations for an MP3 player for PC with a speed/ pitch control for PC.

There are a lot of songs in my library I would like to play along with that are slightly off pitch (not half steps).

I'm sure there must be some good players out there that will do this.
What are you using?

I don't mind paying for a good player.
I use CAPO on the iPad and iPhone. It works pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
I had some time to have a good look at ASD. Great interface and features.
As mentioned above the trial download only lets you play the first quarter of a file or the first two tracks on a CD.
Full price is $49 US which is OK, but, it doesn't have a secure ordering form, so I will pass on this program.
I just have the iPhone version, which I think is around $20.

Audacity seems to have speed adjustment only and it can't be adjusted while the file is playing which doesn't work for me.
There is a pitch adjustment, but it might be buried. Like the speed adjustment, you can't do it while the file is playing

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if Nigel Tufnel has a smaller version of his amp capo for a 1x2 combo ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts