The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good points all around. One thing to remember when posing the 'audience can't tall the difference anyway' argument is the fact that the tone obviously make a huge difference to how the artist feels and performs. Thus the audience will undoubtably know the difference if the artist isn't playing thier best due to a tone / feel issue. It's all related and besides the audience often is smarter and more saavy then they are given credit for in my opinion.

- Sacha

ENDITOL

DIVINITY

·
Premium Member
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
ENDITOL said:
Good points all around. One thing to remember when posing the 'audience can't tall the difference anyway' argument is the fact that the tone obviously make a huge difference to how the artist feels and performs. Thus the audience will undoubtably know the difference if the artist isn't playing thier best due to a tone / feel issue. It's all related and besides the audience often is smarter and more saavy then they are given credit for in my opinion.

- Sacha

ENDITOL

DIVINITY

Well this is absolutely true. I would go a bit further along this line of reasoning however and say that guys who obsess about tone on stage are often semi-oblivious to the audience and the performance in cases like this invariably suffers.

You have to get your gear prepared and make sure it works. Once you're on stage it's time to get over the nuances and subtleties and play the damn guitar.

Oh and I still maintain that the vast majority of people in the audience, even when the audience is largely comprised of musicians, cannot hear the difference between a well mic'd tube amp and a modeler once it makes its way through a few miles of copper, ICs and the mains.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hopefully I won't get hacked to death for this, but...

I keep a Behringer GDI21 and a 35' XLR cable in my gig bag for emergencies.
I have convinced our guitar player (I'm on bass right now) to do the same.
Last week we had a couple of extra players show up at our jam, with guitars but no amps. (we usually have extras around, but they were all loaned out at the time.)

Both guys played thru the GDI21's into the PA.

Great, tube-quality sound? No.

Able to play instead of standing around? Yes.

For $35, it's a steal to have around if your amp (or modeller) bites it.

·
Premium Member
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
buckaroobanzai said:
Hopefully I won't get hacked to death for this, but...

I keep a Behringer GDI21 and a 35' XLR cable in my gig bag for emergencies.
I have convinced our guitar player (I'm on bass right now) to do the same.
Last week we had a couple of extra players show up at our jam, with guitars but no amps. (we usually have extras around, but they were all loaned out at the time.)

Both guys played thru the GDI21's into the PA.

Great, tube-quality sound? No.

Able to play instead of standing around? Yes.

For $35, it's a steal to have around if your amp (or modeller) bites it.

Yes, a good contingency item for sure.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.