The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read all the threads here it is usually fender,marshall,boogie and some traynors. Nothing against any of them although I lean towards the fender sound than the others. I am wondering if there are any other Ampeg users out there other than bass players. I am using an early ninties re issue of the Jet series , SJ-12R, and with a little tinkering, tubes and speaker, I am loving the sound it puts out. So, any ampeg love out there , speak up now I can't hear you....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Ampeg for guitar. My main gigging amp is a Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL-501. It is a sweet amp and buries the JCM800s around here. I'd love to add another of the VL series into my fold. They are a great amp. I've also played a fair amount through a VH-140C and for a solid state amp it is incredible. A good friend of mine has a 64 Reverbrorocket and it is a great sounding blues amp. Very cool sounding.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I got a chance to play through one, the 503s are really nice. I'd like a 502, so I had the option of clean should I want to use it. I really like the built in power attenuator on these. I've never used mine with 6550s always el34's and I've found that she really likes the big bottle EH6CA7s.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in the seventies I had a combo can't remember the model but it was a 4 - 10 and had rocker switches to get different amps sounds out of. At the time we were playing new music, today known as classic rock and it had a killer sound. Sold it to buy a Peavey LTD because I had picked up a Shobud pedal steel, sure wish I had it now. With the Super jet I found the stock speaker very trebly so I replaced it with an eminence legend and now love the sound. I had a noise issue but it turned out to be the 12ax7 that was in the phase inverter. Glad to see I'm not alone.....:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I"ve played guitar through an old fellas portaflex B15N out here a few times and what a kick ass guitar amp that is as well. Ampeg are overlooked. In my part of the world, I've not come across another guitar player using Ampeg, although I've had lots of Marshall players asking me lately.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it is the same around here. All Fenders and marshalls but I've had a few comments on how good it sounds. It's hard to put a handle on it but it is kind of like a mix of both if that makes any sense.... I can get a nice clean fender sound and yet put a OD in front of it and it comes off more like a marshall. I'm liking it, I use singles,buckers and P90's through it and they all sound great, especially the P90's..

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This amp of mine is basically a marshall jcm800 on steroids. It incorporates the mods that Lee jackson is famous for plus a few others he added in. It has such a tonal range to it that there really isn't anything I can't copy except a Fender clean, which isn't what I want it for anyway.

I saw Grady (Gordie Johnson) play at the one gig we did this summer and he runs into an old SVT (with a Herzog). It sounded wonderful.

I've always used different amps than alot around here. I've got the old fenders, but end up either using the Ampeg or my tweaked Garnets.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Ampeg is apparently moving its production off shore - to Viet Nam. There was an article I read a few months ago. One of the workers affected is a Viet Nam Vet. Irony or what.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
PaulS said:
Back in the seventies I had a combo can't remember the model but it was a 4 - 10 and had rocker switches to get different amps sounds out of. At the time we were playing new music, today known as classic rock and it had a killer sound...sure wish I had it now.
...same here. i think i had the same, or very similar, half stack in the 70s. i still have live footage, so i'm not relying on some fantasy-heightened nostalgia. the tone is awesome. i used an sg with p90s and no pedals. great cleans with the guitar volume turned down, and astounding tube overdrive with the volume up.

-dh

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not using pedals at that time either but did that amp come with a foot pedal, can't remember but I think maybe it did. Oh well the memory isn't as good as it use to be....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The Mighty Ampeg V4!

During the late 70's and early 80's many guys in my area gigged with Ampeg V4 heads. They were 100 watts+ and had the little rocker switches David mentioned that shifted the centre points of the tone controls.

They also came as a 2-12 combo (VT22) and I beiieve there was also a 4-10 version and a 50 watt head as well.

They were incredibly versitile in getting almost any desired tone. If you want "balls to the wall classic rock and roll" this is the amp for you!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one I had was a VT40 (just googled it), the old style cabinet with the controls at the back facing up. It had 4-10's and sounded awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts