The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a Super jet 1 - 12" 50 watts and the thing rocks. All tube no fancy loops just a volume treb/mid/bass and reverb level. Awesome little amp with a great tube sound. Don't see to many ampegs unless it's a bass amp but there combos are great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey PaulS - Can you draw any comparisons to other amps in this class? ie Fender Hotrod deluxe or Peavey Classic. I had an old ampeg that had an outstanding clean sound - I wonder if these new ones are on a par. Also how is the reverb and does it take to pedals? Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds more like a fender than a marshall or peavey, the reverb is so so heard better heard worse but you could change the spring tank. It takes kindly to pedals so far that I have seen, I use a screamer, sometimes a compressor, range master and trem pedal and all sound good. It has a bit of humm at no volume but that is just the tubes I believe. I paid about 500 for it and don't feel like I wasted the money. But I still have my eye on a Vibrolux Reverb combo...... hmmm never ends.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the reply. A Vibrolux would be hard to beat if that's the sound your going for. To me they are a little thin and bright for jazz work but they do have tremendous character. I have found that amps will hum as they drift out of bias as the tubes age, maybe your SJ could use a fresh set of tubes.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea this could be true, I also remember reading someplace about some other people's reviews of the amp and a few mentioned about changing out the speaker. The amp has a real tube sound and i like the simplicity of it. Maybe should just change out the tubes and speaker and forget the vibrolux ????

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd think by your user name that your an eddy bickert fan, some awesome playing going on there....:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts