The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm selling my Ampeg VT-22 2x12" combo. A true classic, but I have too many of these amps that are not being used. I have spent my time on the Ampeg mountain and now it is time to share the joy. It's no creampuff, but it's in great shape for a 45-year-old amp. Just back from the amp doctor, after several years of rest. It is now in excellent health.
-Conservatively rated at 100 watts RMS
-original speakers
-on casters, weighs a ton (a mere 88 pounds, according to Ampeg)
-comes with handy strap/cable hanger (former master volume, now purely decorative, wiring was returned to stock Ampeg over 25 years ago)
-everything working fine.
-power light flickers (after only 45 years, sheesh!) & the standby light works fine.
-Power cord swapped out for one with a 3-prong plug.
-all the good stuff - 2/4/8 ohm switch for running other cabs; reverb lock; AC outlet; amp out; many tonal adjustments with dandy rocker switches; etceteras.
Only 88 pounds!

$1,000 rolls it away.
I'd be amenable to driving a reasonable distance to deliver the amp.
Or ship it for actual cost, if you are far away and completely bonkers.

...and a Peavey 4-ohm, 20-watt, 8" speaker, new
I also have a random 8" Peavey speaker for sale as well, that has nothing to do with the stuff above. Never installed, new. I do not have a use for this speaker. Yours for $20 plus shipping to anywhere.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Nice amp. Thanks for being honest about the weight. ;) Shipping would be out of the question for me, bonkers or not. :D

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm in Montreal, can you take it outside and point it East so I can hear how it sounds? Say, 6:03 EST? Cheers
I'm driving into Montreal next weekend. Happy to deliver it in the Montreal area or anywhere onroute gratis!

What, no one about to rawk?'
No one in need of conversion therapy?
No one who wishes to kick out the jams, motherf.....?
Sheesh...

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Someday I'd really like to get a Helmethead Ampeg!

Although, I don't think my old body could take the weight of a VT-22 anymore. Perhaps a VT-40?
Or a GU-12 or Reverbojet or G-12, etc, etc....B#(*

On that subject, I've heard you can take 2 of the 4 power tubes out and reduce the power of a VT-22 to that of a VT-40, if you wanted...

Can anyone make out what the volume knob is at in that Exiles photo? Probably only at 2 or 3 since Jagger is still in the room. :D

*#*(

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I still have one of these that I cut down into a head when I was in my twenties. The V4 / VT22 is still one of THE best sounding amps if you can handle the weight, but the weight is in the sound also which you just cannot get with the small amps that are in vogue these days. The perfect match for a Strat in my opinion.

GLWTS

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I still have one of these that I cut down into a head when I was in my twenties. The V4 / VT22 is still one of THE best sounding amps if you can handle the weight, but the weight is in the sound also which you just cannot get with the small amps that are in vogue these days. The perfect match for a Strat in my opinion.
GLWTS
I also have a V-4 and two 4x12 Ampeg cabs.
The VT-22 is the much smaller, portable sibling to that rig.
Positively lightweight by comparison.
Heck, I'd be happy to convert it into a head for you - I have a saw, a drill, some screws and some Gorilla glue around here somewhere that's left over from gluing down my cowlick.

Happy to entertain trades for the amp. Presumably, legions of you desperately want this amp, understandably so, given its un-ending awsomeness, but your vast reservoirs of cash are temporarily tied up in the holiday season, Canopy stock, Bitcoin and so forth.

Playing this in my music room is embarrassing, like using a Mack truck to pick up groceries.
It's the IDEAL amp for those of you who use pedalboards and want to hear all your groovy effects through an amp with tons of headroom and tubey goodness. And it has reverb!

I just want to increase the habitable floor space of my man-cave and share the joy. Somebody buy this! Trade offers welcome.

I have been using this beast regularly for my jazz guitar requirements, which is admittedly great fun, but I have a pile of marginally lighter Ampeg tube amps for that purpose - B-12XT, GV-22, GV-15, G-12, G-20, Reverbojet. OK, maybe the B-12XT is equally heavy...

Still for sale, still sounds fantastic, still 88 pounds.
Forgot to mention that it has four well-matched NOS 7027A power tubes, adding more awesomeness to its considerable awesomosity. The tubes alone are worth a boatload of the elusive spondulex.
Come on down!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
This is the amp the Stones used for many of their finest studio recordings ever. (Also used a silver face JBL equipped twin reverb)
I'd be all over this Ampeg if I was a gigging guitarist! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
...and a Peavey 4-ohm, 20-watt, 8" speaker, new
Now with exciting Peavey speaker added! Woohoo! I also have a random 8" Peavey speaker for sale as well, that has nothing to do with the Ampeg VT-22. Never installed, new. I do not have a use for this speaker. Yours for $20 plus shipping to anywhere. Or free with the amp.

Plug it into the speaker out of the Ampeg, turn the guitar and amp volume way up, pound one a random power chord and watch the magnet fly across the room! Woohoo!

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been busy with some other stuff that has now sold, woohoo!
This amp is still available, and still awesome.
Someone buy it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I bought one of these in Calgary in 1979, brought it home to Nova Scotia by bus. 88 pounds eh? I walked up the stairs onto a train car carrying that VT-22 hoisted up and cradled against my chest, with an acoustic guitar case hanging on my ring and little finger of my right hand, but that is a story for another time. :cool:

Truth be told - the power and clarity ruined me forever, not to mention the vast pallette of tonal shifts up in that puppy's stratosphere. So that I can try to wrestle the shipping charges to the ground, what can we do about the price ?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Depends on how far away you are located. The amp is resting comfortably in Toronto.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I’ve got one of these but it is the v2 with the square back eminence speakers in it. Great amps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts