The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up a used made in Vietnam Ampeg SVT450H solid state Mosfet bass head for $500. I tried it out with an 810 Ampeg cabinet and it sounds great. Great big and round Ampeg sound without using the equalizer at all. Very simple and utilitarian head. In just excellent condition. Some reviews I have read note some quality control and reliability issues. That is the only thing stopping me from buying this used head immediately.

Any opinions on this gear?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi Blue; I've never tried one of these but the reviews I have read all give it an 8 or 9 overall, I didn't read any negatives but I only read a couple. I would be gassin for it if I came across it for that price. Ampeg does have an excellent warranty. Thru an 8X10 it would certainly sound great, I'm really starting to like 10's a lot.

As a side note on the SVT-3 PRO, instead of cranking the pre-amp to clipping and then adjusting the master, I crank the master and ramp up with the pre-amp, I get a lot more clean sound and seem to get more headroom, I don't particularly like tube-growl/distortion in a bass amp. And I don't scoop the mids as much as I used to.

Not much help, sorry. :wave:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michelle;

You are just a wealth of information on the SVT3PRO. I will try that out tonight when I get home. Thanks so much.

Will let you know what transpires with the SVT450H. Now, I have a real wish on for the 810 cabinet. Just too much good stuff to crave lately.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd love to have an 8X10 cab but I don't have a helper to move that sucker or a vehicle to transport it except a pickup which I won't take to most gigs, they have been THE standard for rock bass.

The PRO heads are pretty versatile, complicated possibly especially around the mids controls, I'm really likin' it though. Inside they just scream quality craftsmanship and design. I'm sure the PRO would be awesome on an 8X10.

The SVT450 is a B2RE in a classic box, the B2RE is a pretty respectable head, all s-s. I have come across some comments on quality issues on the heads made in Vietnam though, but GAS is what it is, maybe you just 'need' the 8X10. :smile:

Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Now, I have a real wish on for the 810 cabinet. Just too much good stuff to crave lately.
That cab rules! My bass player has an old, heavily relic-ed one. Sounds like God would sound if God played bass. It's really easy to move around at gigs because of the built in wheels and dolly handle, and it's stage footprint is small. No fun at all when you have to lift it into the truck or up stairs or something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My try at being funny. I "would" buy it if it was near me. There is one on evilbay for 540.00us. 0 bids so far.:smile:
I see, I just did not get it! Way too early when I read it ... not enough coffee.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I have two Ampeg amps!

Well, I bought the SVT450H and it sounds great for a solid state amp. I was wrong ... it is not made in Vietnam ... but the good ol' USA! Nice surprise.

Now I have to play more and stop lusting over new stuff!! I need to replace my garage door before winter sets in! Old age has hit that thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts