The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I just picked up a Fender Champ 600. Does not make any noise until volume knob reaches 6-7. Gets louder up to twelve but is obviously not at full volume. Makes the occasional crackle-pop noise at idle. Gets louder with clean boost, OD, or other pedal. I'm thinking it's a worn out power tube, of which there is one 6V6. I'll have to order one to find out.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To the OP - order the tubes, put them in first!! LOL

I ordered new pre amp and power tubes for it so I guess you can hold that thought until I try them out.

·
Premium Member
17,811 Posts
To the OP - order the tubes, put them in first!! LOL

I ordered new pre amp and power tubes for it so I guess you can hold that thought until I try them out.
It appears as though the OP listened to your suggestion.

Wise suggestion and wise man for listening.

Good Luck! Hope it solves the problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay here's the latest. The tubes came, I put them in, and there was a little improvement in tone but not much difference. Not a big surprise, as anyone with no experience, even me, could tell just by looking it that this thing was heavily modded - only in a very bad way. Still got sound just not very much, as well as intermittent hissing and crackling. What a mess it was. He used two resistors poorly chained together instead of one, with values that didn't add up to anything that made sense, two gigantic caps strung together that didn't add up to a reasonable value. They barely fit in there. So after a couple of days of research I figured out what the mod was supposed to look like, and some of the other things Buddy had done in addition to said mod. Now never having tried my skills on an amp, I pulled out all the stuff that he had done and restored all the resistors to the proper values. Used one Orange Drop .22uF cap instead of the crazy cat lady yellow cans. Turned on amp and got volume at 1 instead of at 6. Turning up to twelve is really, really loud! Still had a problem though with the pops and crackling. Went back in and discovered one of the resistors in another area was badly soldered and loose. Fixed that up and it seems to be all good now. I'm running it into a 2x10 cab that I whipped up this aft and it sound pretty nice. Cab has two Fender Special Design speakers in it, so that could obviously be improved upon.

It's been a fun project and I've learned a lot. Not bad for an amp that cost me 20 bucks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts