The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am gonna try turning my amp towards the wall tonight and see if this helps and place a mic in the back of the amp.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I am dealing with a band member that really has problems with volume on stage and was wondering if any of you have tried different techniques with your amp. I am gonna try turning my amp towards the wall tonight and see if this helps. Also, the band leader insists that we mic my amp in order so he can control FOH volume. I cant convince him that this only adds to the problem, Keep in mind, this is my country trio and i am playing Legion halls with a small Fender tube amp. Thanks for your input.
Get an amp stand that angles the amp up so it is pointed at you.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some nights if i turn my amp any lower it will be off buddy.LOL.
I just tried facing my amp towards the wall here in the basement and placing the mic in the back of the amp. I may be on to something here that may work. Will find out tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Can you hear yourself on stage in the monitors? If you can then a plexiglass shield works wonders. Just hang a dynamic mic in front and put the plexiglas shield up to control volume. I love how they let you turn the amp up and control bleed but in certain rooms it can be hard to hear yourself depending on the quality of the monitoring.

On a different note, they can live with the volume of the drummer but not with a small Fender amp? I’m not quite getting that. I could see the issue if you were blasting a twin, but maybe they are being a bit overly sensitive?

I feel for singers especially if stage volume is really loud, but unless you’re using a big amp the loudest instrument is generally the drummer.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
What amp? Do you have it loud to get distortion? Many options to figure out what works. Many worship bands in the USA have a strict policy of no amps on stage. Google that to get some solutions.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Thanks zdogma for reminding me about the plexiglass shield. I have one of those and I remember using them before. One of the best sounding recording of one of the live bands I played in, the sound guy put the plexi glass infront of my amp. That's when I got one for myself.

@marcos I'll look for the plexiglass in the basement. It must be there somewhere. If I find it, you can try it out.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Maybe put the amp at the front of the stage and put the plexi at the back to keep the volume off the stage, but give the audience the sound to match the others.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you’re micing the amp, my favourite thing to do now is lay it horizontally so the amp points straight up so it can be a bit louder without killing the front row. You have to lift it off the ground on a rack of some sort, I use my folding two wheel dolly that I bring it in on. Got this trick from Sue Folley in a local club when she laid her amp across the seats of two chairs. I know others do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If you’re micing the amp, my favourite thing to do now is lay it horizontally so the amp points straight up so it can be a bit louder without killing the front row. You have to lift it off the ground on a rack of some sort, I use my folding two wheel dolly that I bring it in on. Got this trick from Sue Folley in a local club when she laid her amp across the seats of two chairs. I know others do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might be hard on the speaker.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you hear yourself on stage in the monitors? If you can then a plexiglass shield works wonders. Just hang a dynamic mic in front and put the plexiglas shield up to control volume. I love how they let you turn the amp up and control bleed but in certain rooms it can be hard to hear yourself depending on the quality of the monitoring.

On a different note, they can live with the volume of the drummer but not with a small Fender amp? I’m not quite getting that. I could see the issue if you were blasting a twin, but maybe they are being a bit overly sensitive?

I feel for singers especially if stage volume is really loud, but unless you’re using a big amp the loudest instrument is generally the drummer.

Great idea with the plexiglass. We dont have a drummer but we have a keyboard with beats etc.. What i did tonight really helped. By placing the amp towards the wall and placing the mic at the rear of the amp also it really made a difference. Seems like i might have it solved but will try the plexiglass that our friend Chito has. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found it!! It's a couple of plexiglass with duct tape.

Yes, i would love to try this out buddy. Give it to Moe next time you see him. Much appreciated and if this does the trick, i will make one.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Yes, i would love to try this out buddy. Give it to Moe next time you see him. Much appreciated and if this does the trick, i will make one.
We're playing on Tuesday so I'll give it to him then.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
I like the idea. You could use a piano hinge instead of duct tape and it would still lay flat when not in use and be more stable. However, the duct tape would truly be Canadian.

upload_2019-10-13_5-48-59.jpeg

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
That might be hard on the speaker.
I would not be too worried about the speaker. However if you are using a tube combo I would pay attention to possible overheating as there may be restricted air flow. Saw someone use this trick with a Marshall 4x12..... worked very well.

You might consider one of these 12" Beam Blocker (4" Dome)

Good luck with the volume warz

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Great idea with the plexiglass. We dont have a drummer but we have a keyboard with beats etc.. What i did tonight really helped. By placing the amp towards the wall and placing the mic at the rear of the amp also it really made a difference. Seems like i might have it solved but will try the plexiglass that our friend Chito has. Thanks for your input.
That makes more sense. Good luck with the plexi shield, if you need plexi sheets they have them at Home Depot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts