The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a friend's explanation of the difference between my Traynor YCV40WR and his Fuchs Overdrive Supreme, which is horribly expensive, but still makes me wonder why I waste so much time and money trying to find the perfect overdrive and distortion pedal:

"It is hard to say why the Fuchs is better other than to say basically it's just extremely responsive and very harmonically complex. It responds to the guitar's volume knob like nothing I've ever played before. Goes from BB King to Gary Moore just by twisting the guitar's volume. Wants to hold every note forever even on the clean channel. Hits harmonic feedback and infinite sustain every time with no effort at all. Cleans are really fat. Light crunch is really clear and jangly. Heavy crunch is huge and fat and singing leads are up the with the best of anything Gary Moore ever produced. Sounds great at low volume too. I've never felt like I want to hook an attenuator up to it. There really is a big difference."

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ofender said:
After seeing your posting, i did a search to read about it..."hooribly expensive.." like $30,000.00 ?? holy.. sounds like an*ultimate* kind of amp though.
...not THAT expensive!

the overdrive supreme 50-watt 1-12 combo is $3,295.00 USD. the 30-watt 1-12 combo is $2,895.00 USD.

that's still a ton of dough, but if it gives me the kind of tone and response described by my friend, i think i'd be willing to make the sacrifice. i could probably raise half of that just by selling a few amps and pedals!

trouble is, of course, there is no way of trying one out in toronto, unless you guys know of a dealer who carries a couple of models in stock...anyone?

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff Flowerday said:
I have an ODS 30, that I've done most of the SLX mods on. In most cases his description is spot on. Warning: It's a different type of tone and feel. It's overfiltered so it's stiff and doesn't respond like cranked Fender or Marshall. (I'm going to mod mine to fix this). It's extremely smooth, and if you are used to some edge in your rock tone you aren't going to be happy with the Fuchs.
That said it sustains for days and goes into feedback by simply thinking about it. :) :) Jeff

...intriguing. is it your main amp?

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff Flowerday said:
Nope, I have 9 amps. I haven't been able to find the perfect speaker for it yet, that fight might be over there is a Heritage G12H30 waiting for me at L&M right now. I'm always messing with the darn thing, Scott Lerner always has some mods to try.
I'm ready to start using it but our electric band is on a break right now.

...nine amps? what are your favourites?

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...i'm beginning to see the light of day on this.

i'm going to try out a rivera amp (pubster), and maybe a zinky blue velvet or dr z, locally. if i'm not blown away, i'll stick with the traynor ycv40wr for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.