The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is interesting...although I'm not totally sure for what purpose they are designing and building these prototypes....

Experienced Amp Tech pref. Canadian/American Military | Amps & Pedals | Guelph | Kijiji

$_59.JPG

Description

Hello friends. We are looking for Tube Amp Technicians to discuss a unique opportunity with. Specifically, Tube Amplifiers and Desktop Tube Consoles, Point to Point, Military Craftsmanship.

We are a team of audio technicians, builders and designers who actively build and restore tube amps and vintage consoles.

Our goal is to begin working with Canadian/American Military technicians in the know about Valve technology and audio production applications to aid in designing and manufacturing of several prototypes.

Preference given to those currently serving in the Canadian/American Military or Veterans of the Canadian/American Military. Preference given to those with tube amp restoration, design and production experience. Preference given to Worshippers of Valve Tone!

Please contact us through this posting and tell us about your love of tube technology and a bit about your background. Please include if you are Military or not. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you. M.A

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Now THIS is interesting. Can't wait to see what develops. I know nothing, although the chassis format looks really familiar...

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Tube console (mixer)? There's a reason that all the features we expect in a mixer (multiband EQ on every channel, aux sends, busses etc) did not exist until solid state came around; the power consumption, the heat, the size and the cost. That's a lot of iron and gain stages.

TL Audio tried it (hybrid) and it didn't sell well. More recently Tree Audio (The Root) did it, looks like a vintage console but more modern features - actually has 4 aux sends and (basic) channel EQ.... but for the reasons mentioned above you can only have 8 channels (and no groups). ... and even that uses transistors here and there. Damn expensive too (30k or so... for that price you can get a 16 channel, 8 bus Neve).

I'm a tube head as much as anyone, but you have to keep that fanaticism at bay - sometimes solid state is the better option. If you want a studio with a good tube sound just make sure all your preamps and outboard are tube based and that will take care of it. The console needs to be a rock solid workhorse (on all the time).

That said, they could maybe make it more reasonable by keeping things passive as much as possible - e.g. the channel EQ could be Pultec style, with the makup gain provided by the channel fader amp (the EQ defeat switch could engage a pad to compensate).... but I dunno how many people want/need that very specific (and not particularly versatile) style of EQ exclusively on every channel. It's a game of compromises like that.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The language seems pretty good, so probably not from overseas trying to gain expertise for cloning. I've seen that on other forums.
The 'unique opportunity' reference makes me wonder if they're looking for investors though.
Sorry about the cynicism, could be legit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts