The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am building an 18 Watt Plexi (Trinity kit) in Burlington and I wondered if any of you either are or might know an amp tech relatively local to the city?

I have not run into any problems but as a noob, I thought it would be a good idea to have the amp checked and tested by a professional once I am done. Its an hour's work for which I am willing to pay.

Please PM me if you are interested or know someone of good reputation I could contact.

Peace and good tone to all.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Cambridge is close enough. I'll contact Rob.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those kits look nice, I'm sure you'll have fun building it (BTW I'm the guy that bought your MXR Eq).

I built a Mojotone 5e3 kit that came without instructions and had no issues or need for a tech. I just took my time so there were no mistakes.

Assuming you're knowledgeable in the use of multi-meters and probing around in a live high voltage circuit safely then you should be fine on your own. Some tips to follow:
  • Proper lead dress will help reduce noise/hum
  • Check every connection multiple times as you go along, then do it again after its done and make sure diodes and electrolytic caps are in the right orientation (positive/negative)
  • Check all your soldering, one crappy joint can cause issues
  • Check some of the voltages before putting the tubes in
  • For the first power up consider using a light bulb limiter (I built one, dead simple) as it will show whether there is a short in the amp before blowing any fuses or causing damage. Most people say to use a 100-150w bulb but for my 14w amp I think it was a 60w that worked best.
  • Check the circuit voltages after, if they're at spec you're good to go
  • Play it for a bit and you'll be able to tell by the sound if there are any issues or not.
Here is some more info that I found useful. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
Chris Church in Hamilton

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris Church in Hamilton
Chris was also suggested to me. Thanks to all who replied.

I went and saw Rob (Classicamps.com) . He spotted a couple issues and made a mod suggestion...which I incporporated (slight change to the coupling wiring).

All is good...REALLY GOOD in fact on the 'normal' channel. I am still not 100% happy with the TMB channel and I intend to start a separate thread to soilicit feedback on that.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those kits look nice, I'm sure you'll have fun building it (BTW I'm the guy that bought your MXR Eq).

I built a Mojotone 5e3 kit that came without instructions and had no issues or need for a tech. I just took my time so there were no mistakes.

Assuming you're knowledgeable in the use of multi-meters and probing around in a live high voltage circuit safely then you should be fine on your own. Some tips to follow:
  • Proper lead dress will help reduce noise/hum
  • Check every connection multiple times as you go along, then do it again after its done and make sure diodes and electrolytic caps are in the right orientation (positive/negative)
  • Check all your soldering, one crappy joint can cause issues
  • Check some of the voltages before putting the tubes in
  • For the first power up consider using a light bulb limiter (I built one, dead simple) as it will show whether there is a short in the amp before blowing any fuses or causing damage. Most people say to use a 100-150w bulb but for my 14w amp I think it was a 60w that worked best.
  • Check the circuit voltages after, if they're at spec you're good to go
  • Play it for a bit and you'll be able to tell by the sound if there are any issues or not.
Here is some more info that I found useful. Good luck.
ricky_b!

Thanks for the reply. I wanted an ampt tech's input so I could pick his brain and it was a good idea - I learned a lot. Rob at ClassicAmps has been doing it a long time so buying an hour with him was well worth it.

Anyway, really appreciate the advice. The build went well. Its a great sounding 18 Watt Plexi. I bought but did not and likely will not install the VRM. I can play at low volumes well enough with just a tube driver for more dirt if I need it.

I am just now laying the final plans to scratch-build a 5E3. There's a ton of schematics and diagrams out there - and a couple of mods that I think might be worth trying. Capacitors have been ordered and should be here in a week or so. I will start a thread on that build too when the time comes.

Good to hear from you. Cheers.

PS. I will never EVER work with Tolex ever again. Rotten, nasty, stinky, tedious bit of business. I enjoy cabinet making but I will leave the upholstery to someone else!

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I am building an 18 Watt Plexi (Trinity kit) in Burlington and I wondered if any of you either are or might know an amp tech relatively local to the city?

I have not run into any problems but as a noob, I thought it would be a good idea to have the amp checked and tested by a professional once I am done. Its an hour's work for which I am willing to pay.

Please PM me if you are interested or know someone of good reputation I could contact.

Peace and good tone to all.

chris church hamilton church audio repair

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Late to the party here, but another vote for Rob Fowler, he's great. For a similar distance from Burly you can also go to Glenn Morris in Welland.

Ed Stepanic is in Burlington & his own amp design is killer. His rates are reasonable too, although amp repairs are way down his priority list (after family, work & playing music), so not sure how quickly he can turn something around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts