The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my Egnater Rebel 30 for an 18 or 20w amp. Any suggestions? No Blues Jr' please. :)

Rarely do I ever get the volume above 5 and I'm not gigging any more so I see no need for a 30W amp.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
wattage isn't just about volume - it affects the tone too.

What don't you like about your rebel?

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Asking for amp recommendations will get you list if what others are currently playing :)

Honestly, if you are playing at typical home levels you won’t notice any difference between 15 and 30 or even 60 watts. They will all will need pedals to sound good at low volumes. They will all be too loud if you are looking for tube breakup. If you’re looking for a different sound from your current setup then it may be worth changing. If you like the current tone and are looking for a lower volume with the same tone then I’d look at a computer with modelling software or a solid state amp that can do the tone you’re looking for.

FWIW I use a Fender Pro Junior live and a Blackstar HT1R 1 watt tube amp for home use. Even at 1 watt it is too loud for home use. I mostly use it with headphones.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I’ve owned three of the offset Marshall’s. All purchased as investments that paid off very well.

Nevertheless I got a Roland cube and it’s impressive. Really. $99 at cosmo Boxing Day sale.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There’s a blind folded Anderson’s shoot out video where the Roland Cube won against a bunch of mid-level Fender types. Pretty sure Fender wasn’t happy about that.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wattage isn't just about volume - it affects the tone too.

What don't you like about your rebel?
Ah, nothing actually. I find the best tones come with more volume so I figure I'll reach that point with an 18 or 20w amp without rattling the pictures off the wall.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Ah, nothing actually. I find the best tones come with more volume so I figure I'll reach that point with an 18 or 20w amp without rattling the pictures off the wall.
5W amps will rattle walls if you dime them and put them through a 412 or two. It's not the wattage, it's the circuit design and the speaker efficiency.

Sounds like it's worth looking into an attenuator.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
For comparison with that wattage.
I have several (5) lower watt amps (12-20 watts) and they rarely get played above a volume of 3 or so.
I also briefly had a Marshall dsl5 which I could switch to the 1 watt setting and pretty well dime comfortably, it on the 5 watt setting it was still usually only up half way.

I think to be able to give suggestions it may be good to hear about what you're looking for from it.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
5W amps will rattle walls if you dime them and put them through a 412 or two. It's not the wattage, it's the circuit design and the speaker efficiency.

Sounds like it's worth looking into an attenuator.
I play pub gigs with a 5W through a 1x12 all the time, unmiced.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I’ve owned three of the offset Marshall’s. All purchased as investments that paid off very well.

Nevertheless I got a Roland cube and it’s impressive. Really. $99 at cosmo Boxing Day sale.
That would be my suggestion as well. The Roland Cube 30W I own has a great clean tone and I mean great in the sense of shockingly good. The Offset has more to offer but much more expensive than the Cube.

My experience with attenuators is not that great for low volume. They are great to take off the edge of a roaring amp ( one or two notches down) but not so good for low bedroom playing volumes. The bedroom setting on the Airbrake is ineffective imo and even the Ironman attenuator at low volume is not that great. I would go with an amp with a really good MV if you are insisting on more wattage.

For price point, the Roland Cube is pretty hard to beat but again, that Marshall 1 Watt is really impressive.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've tried attenuators in the past with no satisfaction. I'll probably pick up a low watt tube amp and use that for home. Keep the 30W for the odd weekend jams with the boys. They tend to get real loud :)

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
BTW when people are talking about bedroom amps at 1W, that can still be really, really loud. I imagine many 1W amps (most?) would easily reach 100db by the time they get to AC/DC like crunch. Remember speaker specifications. A typical speaker like a Celestion Vintage 30 puts out 100dbs at 1watt. Some more inefficient ones will get you down to 97 or so. I don't think it would be comfortable for anyone to play at 100db for several hours on end without hearing protection. And if it is, you're likely to lose your hearing. Here is what 100db is like: Comparitive Examples of Noise Levels | Industrial Noise Control

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I have a Peavey Classic 20 mini head. It's switchable to 20, 5, 1 watt, and has a really very nice speaker emulator so that you can practice with headphones. It can get heated but I haven't had any issues so far since I bought it brand new in September.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I'll echo that a cranked 5-6W amp will fill a house with fairly loud sound. I have a late 70's VibroChamp (1x 6V6), that's been converted to 2x8. It could be used in any bar I've played, definitely good for stage volume, smaller bars without a mic/PA. Cranked up, it sounds like an early Marshall though I suspect in part that's the speakers - really great grindy sound.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Asking for amp recommendations will get you list if what others are currently playing :)

Honestly, if you are playing at typical home levels you won’t notice any difference between 15 and 30 or even 60 watts. They will all will need pedals to sound good at low volumes. They will all be too loud if you are looking for tube breakup. If you’re looking for a different sound from your current setup then it may be worth changing. If you like the current tone and are looking for a lower volume with the same tone then I’d look at a computer with modelling software or a solid state amp that can do the tone you’re looking for.

FWIW I use a Fender Pro Junior live and a Blackstar HT1R 1 watt tube amp for home use. Even at 1 watt it is too loud for home use. I mostly use it with headphones.
Couldn't agree more on this one. I've got the Blackstar FLY, which I recently jammed with, using pedals, connected. It's awesome loud. And it is loud.

I don't like headphones, but if you go that route, the Pandora is a cool little box. As is, I use my pedals plugged in to any amp in the house for bedroom volumes. Compressor/OD/Delay can go a long way towards a sweet tone at a manageable volume.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Hey Shaun

Actually I just traded some random stuff for a 80's Roland cube 40 . (one of those orange things)
Man, what a nice dick-around amp. Heavy ass magnet on the speaker, actually a decent sounding drive channel and very respectable reverb (spring)
Eats pedals for breakfast

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I've got the Blackstar FLY, which I recently jammed with, using pedals, connected. It's awesome loud. And it is loud.
I have one of those as well and run my pedal board into it if I want to wail on some lead stuff with backing tracks played through another source.

Great little amp for $70 Cdn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts