The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for amp stands?
I was thinking about building something simple like this...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hmm,
I had never thought of something like that. I might try something along those lines (just a bit more padded to protect my precious marine vinyl on my amps.
I had been always trying to convince a friend to weld me one of these:

In the mean time, I've been leaning my 2x12 combo amp back against some sort of car speaker box with towels along the edge of it to protect my amp. I really need to do something though because it is front and centre of the stage at church. No one complains about the ugliness of that directly to me, but sometimes church people can be nice. (maybe they are just relieved that I don't point it out at them anymore) ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oooh! Paul, I like that one, especially for the mic boom threads; that would tidy up the stage even more.
Unfortunately my matchless clone cab is a bit over-built and would likely crush it and it's 75lb rating. Maybe when the cab is finished for my champ...
The price isn't bad either.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Or you can use the tilt back legs like on a fender:

These you never forget to bring, or leave behind.:smile:
Can you still get them? and is it cool to retrofit them on a Deluxe reverb that never had them originally. It actually sucks to have to think about that.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can you still get them? and is it cool to retrofit them on a Deluxe reverb that never had them originally. It actually sucks to have to think about that.
you can get them at different sites. I'm pretty sure I've seen them at www.tubesandmore.com
I don't know what's cool anymore because I'm 28 now. I've been tempted several times to do that for my DC30 but I'm torn about whether I really want to drill into the sides of my beautiful cab my dad built. Those things look so flimsy in pictures, but I imagine that they must be able to handle the weight. I think you have a lot more right to put them on your fender than I would to put them on my amp.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Thanks folks So it was really just and option . I did find this picture.

http://www.ivc.ca/misc/forsale/blackface/side leg2.jpg.

Prices seen to vary quite a bit. $29 to $39 seems to be quite a bit for two pieces of stamped metal and four screws. There is and amp stand locally on ebay for $15.

Of course there is always the drummers monitor.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have one like Pauls with the mike holder on top. It was only about $20
the mike portion is a nice touch but IMHO useless. Its better to use a boom for your mike. The overall tilt back principal does make sense as you are directing the sound up towards your ears.haven't found one big enough for a heavy combo yet.
I have lots of critters running around the house and the stand helps keep the hairballs moving...could use a few more stands....LOL
cheers
RIFF

·
Premium Member
10,933 Posts
Riff Wrath...Yorkville has a nice tiltback stand, I use one for the Traynor YCV50 and the Yorkville XM200, both decent sized combos. Other favourite stands include an oak stool, and old milk crates (for old times sake).

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't use the mic boom stand thingy, although its a cool idea. Ultimate suggests either a gooseneck or mini boom to position your mic.

I use the Sennheiser E609 mic:

...and I've sewn a small pocket using grill cloth on my amps. The mic fits in the pocket. The mic is in exactly the same spot each and every time I play live. No mic stand necessary.
Oh, I was thinking of the boom stand for vocals because I face my amp up towards me right in front of me on stage with I different setup for micing the amp. I made a thing out of a coat hanger and a mic clip to hold the sm-57 in front of the speaker and hangs by the mic cable. I will try to get a pic for you to see because I am so proud of these free coat hanger things I made... but my girlfriend has my camera with her in Toronto right now. I'll try to get a friend to take a pic... but maybe you could all imagine how cool it is and therefore how cool I am.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
I never thought to use the Ultimate as a base for a vocal mic stand. That's a cool idea. You'd need a good mic clip to keep physical vibrations from the amp from passing through, but if the amp is for monitoring purposes only, this could work.

I like my mic pocket idea better than your coat hanger because my idea doesn't require me to pack anything, and well, it's MY idea.

I got tired hanging a 57 by the mic cord and get the signal off axis. I think I still prefer a well positioned SM 57 over my Sennheiser in terms of sound, but not by enough to trade away the ease of use.

On the plus side, if you discover you locked your keys in a car after a job, you'll already have the coat hanger needed to break in to your own car!!!!
I'm intrigued by your "mic pocket" and I'm trying to visualize it. Is it actually sewn through the grillcloth of your amp like the back pocket on a pair of jeans?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I like the pocket idea, but for some reason, I don't know if I could sew something to my grill cloth. It's definitely an advantage to not have put stress on mic cables though. And your way would be much tidier looking.
Mine might look kind of scary in the dark; like a giant spider lowering itself down my amp.

For me it came down to the fact that I ended up buying a couple sm-57s for cheap, so I wanted a cheap way to use them that was still adjustable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts