The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new digital cheapo multimeter and tested a few "known" speakers.The meter was reading bang on for ohms.
1)Tested 2 older 8" Jensons in my National tube amp..they are in series...and I was getting 2.3 ohm each...can I assume that these are 4 ohm speakers or is the series wiring and the proximity to the OT affecting the reading? (didn't want to unsolder just to do test)
2)am (slowly) working on a 4X12 cab with 2X12 4ohms (8 ohm load) in parrallel and 2 single 12 8ohms individually wired. Is it possible to take a 1/4" jack "Y" short speaker cord and plug into both singles to get a 2X12 4ohm load?
3)best recommendation for an 8" bass speaker for a 40W ss Traynor? (I know...8"bass...WTF)
any and all info greatly appreciated. Its getting too cold to mess in the shop, so back to the kitchen table workshop...LOL
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
253 Posts
To start with you can't measure the DC resistance of speakers that are wired into a cabinet.You will get the working resistance of the pair wired in series.
The DC resistance is close to the impedance.For your 2.3 ohm reading,that is close to 4 ohms,so that's correct.
Two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel gives you 4 ohms and two 8 ohm speakers wired series gives you 16 ohms.
There is no change in readings being close to the OT.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts