The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first tub amp. I can hear a ticking sound coming from it. IT's not very lound, i don't hear it while playing, but i hear it when not playing, it's a ticking sound, it's rapid and doesn't stop, is that normal?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a similar problem but it's intermittent. I'm pretty sure it dirty power or interference from one of the appliances in the house. It happens regularly every 2 or 3 seconds. We had a bit of a jam here the other night & it wasn't there. If I ever get a power conditioner it will probably fix it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Is it a Fender?

A lot of old Fenders have a ticking sound coming from the tremolo circuit. Techs fix this problem all the time.

The ticking will come even if the intensity is at 0. If the trem can be switched off and the ticking stops then you know that's where the problem is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a new 65 Deluxe Reverb. I do have a pedal on it, i'll try it without it and see if the noise is still there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try plugging it into another circuit in your house and if you have it next to a tv either turn the tv off or move the amp; you will get interference from a television. If this doesn't work, you mentioned that it is a new amp, take it back, it is not uncommon to have a bad tube in a new amp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This could well be the vibrato channel oscillator that you hear. Do you hear the ticking sound only in the vibrato channel? Does it change frequency if you change the vibrato speed?

I have an 18 watt tremolo amp and sometimes, I can hear it tick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts