The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm placing my 1x12 combo amp on top of a 1X12 cabinet extension. The dimensions of the cabinet are exact to the cabinet of the combo which is great for looks but the metal feet of the amp line up with the metal corners of the cabinet and doesn't sit right. I've tried moving the metal feet in a bit but then since they're not in to the metal corners like they should be the amp is not quite high enough to clear the handle.
If anyone has run in to something like this I'd like to hear some recommendations of what I could do.

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
It's not elegant, but I take a piece of MDF and route a hole where the handle of the cab goes (if there is one, greatly helps with stability) and then put half deep routes exactly where the head feet will sit. Makes for a very stable, though not especially pretty, solution. If you wanted to gussy it up you could paint the MDF black or to match your pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Two pieces of wood, outside the handle but inside the feet

Reactions: guitarman2

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
I like my solution better just because of the added stability, ie, head feet are in holes so they don't slide around, oval-ish hole just slightly oversize the handle so the whole rig above the cab won't move much. With just a couple pieces of wood either side of the handle, no added stability and risk of things moving if they get bumped or from vibration etc.

Doesn't matter really if a home rig that never moves, but I've done my version several times for gigging rigs and really don't mind carrying that 1 extra piece around (and also, as opposed to 2 pieces).

I honestly did miss that it's a combo not a head up top, but the principal is the same.

You could also try some rubber drawer liner, just 4 1" square pieces, put where the combo meets the cab and see if that solves the issue. Stuff has great traction, I use it under my lightweight SS bass heads and it stops them from moving around on their cabs.

I shoulda been an engineer or something, I hack stuff up like this all the time :p

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my solution better just because of the added stability, ie, head feet are in holes so they don't slide around, oval-ish hole just slightly oversize the handle so the whole rig above the cab won't move much. With just a couple pieces of wood either side of the handle, no added stability and risk of things moving if they get bumped or from vibration etc.

Doesn't matter really if a home rig that never moves, but I've done my version several times for gigging rigs and really don't mind carrying that 1 extra piece around (and also, as opposed to 2 pieces).

I honestly did miss that it's a combo not a head up top, but the principal is the same.

You could also try some rubber drawer liner, just 4 1" square pieces, put where the combo meets the cab and see if that solves the issue. Stuff has great traction, I use it under my lightweight SS bass heads and it stops them from moving around on their cabs.

I shoulda been an engineer or something, I hack stuff up like this all the time :p
Right now I'm running a similar solution. For another purpose I bought these foam mats from Home Depot. They come in a pack of about 6 and they lock together for a portable mat on the floor. One side is sort of thinly carpeted. I had an extra piece from what I was using it for and so I cut it to shape to sit on the cabinet and a piece slides under the handle to hold it in place. You can see it in between the cabinets. I was hoping for something more hidden but in reality I doubt that anyone would notice. The color or the mat is dark grey. Maybe what I will do is look for some feet that I can put on it thats just a little higher than stock feet. I'll place them by the stock feet just inside so they'll sit flat on the cabinet. Gotta be something at Home Depot that fits that description.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
NO! This will couple the cabs together and transfer vibrations from the ext cabb to the combo, that could affect tube amp persofmance (exacerbate noise from microphonic tubes etc). Use bigger rubber feet as suggested above, or line the wood on both sides with foam/rubber to provide some shock absorption.

Reactions: keto

·
Registered
12,089 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
NO! This will couple the cabs together and transfer vibrations from the ext cabb to the combo, that could affect tube amp persofmance (exacerbate noise from microphonic tubes etc). Use bigger rubber feet as suggested above, or line the wood on both sides with foam/rubber to provide some shock absorption.

And how is this different than stacking them

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
And how is this different than stacking them
Just read it again: "two pieces of wood, outside the handle but inside the feet."

Implied in this statement is that since the problem is that the feet aren't tall enough to clear the handle, the peices of wood would need to be taller than the feet to clear said handle and provide the sought-after stability. It bypasses the amp feet (swingin up in the air as Aerosmith would say). They're there for a reason. Usually the first thing I upgrade on any head I buy (vintage ones usually suck cuz tiny/undersized to begin with and hardened with age). I use the same screw holes as the originals or sometimes if I don't like the placement of those , one of the corner protector screw holes so it's completely reversible in case of vintage/expensive/anal retentiveness.

He did not say "2 pieces of wood, each under a pair of feet," which would be fine/the same as just stacking (in terms of the concern I raised), but possibly not very stable/dunno.

Anyway, all youze with 80s/90s Marshalls with hard hollow plastic feet (like those can't be that much cheaper then proper feet why did they do that it's just disrespectful to customers), trust me, get some proper rubber ones. The biggest ones you can be bothered with, as long as they have that internal metal washer (vadsy posted some) and are otherwise solid rubber. Best $5 and 5 minutes you ever spent on your amp.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Four black indoor hockey pucks,
One for each corner.
I did end up solving it. I bought 2 X 4pack of round rubber feet. The height wasn't quite tall enough so I doubled them up, hence why I bought 2 4 packs. I then bought screws that were a little longer. They're anti skid rubber feet about 3 inches in diameter. Now the amp looks great sitting on top of the cabinet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts