The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good tube amp ( head and cab or combo) for around $350 or do I go the used path? Sorry for the new question?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Definitely used.

The other part is, of course, "it depends" on what you're looking for. But if say looking for Blues, Rock, pedal platform, and flexibility, and with some non-trivial patience and effort, you can get and be really happy with a Fender Blues Jr. for $350 (that is a low number, but I know for a fact not at all impossible).

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
What would be a good tube amp ( head and cab or combo) for around $350 or do I go the used path? Sorry for the new question?
You won't be able to afford a very good head/cab combo for $350 on the used market unless you luck into one hell of a deal (it can happen!). You will most likely be looking at low power combos. Even then you may need to make your budget stretch to $450 to find something really to your taste.

What tones do you hope to get, and what playing situations will you be in (home, gig, etc)? We are quite happy to give you some great suggestions to research.

Reactions: MDG3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for a Blues/Rock tone but for home use ( not ready for giging or recording yet. Not that good of a player yet. ) Btw cboutilier, your comment made me chuckle, don't know why. Also I may experiment with pedal at a later date, which I'm guessing has to have a good or adequate clean channel. BTW Budda, about head and cab,that might of been hopefully thinking on my part, but one can dream I guess. Thanks in advance for all your inputs and responses.

From POCO, B.C.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Definitely used.

The other part is, of course, "it depends" on what you're looking for. But if say looking for Blues, Rock, pedal platform, and flexibility, and with some non-trivial patience and effort, you can get and be really happy with a Fender Blues Jr. for $350 (that is a low number, but I know for a fact not at all impossible).
For 350 all in, even used, the choices are rather limited so what the OP wants and will use it for are nearly immaterial.

Basically it's gonna be Garnet/Traynor if he/she is lucky, but probably a Pepco/Garnet Stencil. And more likely a small-medium combo vs head+cab. But on this budget I wouldn't limit myself to looking for any brand/model in particular; my advice is that if there's something in the local Craig's or Kijiji that you can afford (trawl it at least weekly), go try it out. If it's good it's good; buy it. You might get lucky and score a cool Univox (some are better than others) or something. Any proper name brand amp is just not happening.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'm looking for a Blues/Rock tone but for home use ( not ready for giging or recording yet. Not that good of a player yet. ) Btw cboutilier, your comment made me chuckle, don't know why. Also I may experiment with pedal at a later date, which I'm guessing has to have a good or adequate clean channel. BTW Budda, about head and cab,that might of been hopefully thinking on my part, but one can dream I guess. Thanks in advance for all your inputs and responses.

From POCO, B.C.
I'd look for a Fender Blues Jr, or Pro Jr. Epiphone Valve Jr, Vox AC4 or 10, vintage Traynor or Pepco. Try out anything you can between 4 and 15W or so and see what suits you best.

L

·
0 Posts
Don't restrict yourself to tube only.
There are many good Solid State amps within your budget.
Especially used.
The Boss Katana 50 comes to mind ($300 new at L&M).
Adjustable power settings. 0.5/25/50 watts.

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
What's the point of adjustable power settings on a solid state amp?

Wouldn't turning down the master volume achieve the same result?
It would depend on how well said SS amp replicates the way tube amps work :D.

OP, keep an eye out for Fender, Traynor and Peavey amps in that price range.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It would depend on how well said SS amp replicates the way tube amps work :D.

OP, keep an eye out for Fender, Traynor and Peavey amps in that price range.
I forgot to mention the old tube Peavey amps. Built to withstand a war, and sound amazing with a speaker swap.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Marshall class 5

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a Traynor YCV20 for $400 on CL, don't know if that a good price? Doesn't say much about its age or year.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
There's a Traynor YCV20 for $400 on CL, don't know if that a good price? Doesn't say much about its age or year.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Maybe see if they can come down a bit, but that is a good amp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any comments on hybrid amps? i.e. Joyo ,micro terror, or MV 50

From POCO, B.C.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts