The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a part-time amp designer/builder, and I'm gonna give away one of my latest designs at the end of January. I thought I'd provide some details here because I'd prefer this amp to go to someone in Canada. VIVA CANADA!!!

Everything will be run on my own website and announced on facebook (links below), but I'll post details here too if people are interested. Details on how to enter the amp giveaway will be given out 'officially' in the next 1-3 days.

The amp will not come with a head shell; it may or may not come with a full compliment of tubes - I'm currently talking to tube vendors for in-kind contributions.

Some history: I have run two or three "amp lottos" on another forum (interested folks could search the MyLesPaul Squawk Box for 'amp lotto'). The 'winner' of those amps actually had to pay about $400 (a pretty good deal). This time, the amp will be free, but the 'winner' will be asked to pay the actual shipping costs and will have to purchase a head shell (and possibly tubes) on his/her own.

I am really proud of the quality of this amp. I don't post gut shots any more, but I would say that the build quality is on par with offerings from top boutique brands (e.g., Wizard, Friedman, etc.). I don't do OCD right-angle wiring, but it's built like a tank and has a well-thought-out layout and grounding scheme. The circuit is unique. It is something that Marshall should have built in the 80s but never did.

Now some details about the amp itself:
- a pair of 6V6s (JJ or EH preferred) in power amp. Push-pull for 20 watts. Fixed bias with trim pot for each tube. Will also accept 6L6 (but not EL34)
- negative feedback loop with Presence and Body (aka resonance, depth) controls
- custom Heyboer PT and OT designed by Bruce Egnater for his seminar amps.
- Hammond choke
- 12V DC for preamp tubes
- preamp designed for vintage "Marshall" tones from the 70s and 80s. The Vibe knob allows you to go from "Plexi" era to "800" era, although the circuit isn't a clone of either iconic amp.

Ok, here are two links to where the giveaway will be announced and run:
Facebook: V2 Amplification

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Looks great.

I REALLY don't need another amp at my age, but it's good to see an independent entrepreneur promoting himself.

Best wishes for your business in 2019!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I am in! Very generous of you.
If I get lucky and score this, I’d take it to a couple of local dealers and let them and their clientele play with it for a bit. Spread the love so to speak. It’s gotta be hard to get the word out.
I am about to get a Princeton custom built from a local guy (Brian Luckhurst) and I cannot wait! I am hooked already on the custom build thing.
A Marshall is next. I will surely be checking out your stuff.

Reactions: stormbringer

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Out of curiosity, why no more gut shots? Too many obsessive pixel-peepers commenting on how the amp sounds by the way it looks?

Reactions: stormbringer

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Love the black tweed/piping/offset aesthetic. Looks great! I really need to look into setting up some kind of throwaway Facebook account for these types of things.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great.

I REALLY don't need another amp at my age, but it's good to see an independent entrepreneur promoting himself.

Best wishes for your business in 2019!
Thanks!
Self-promotion is part of the reason for doing this. However, I build amps for fun, not profit, at this time, and so it's mainly for fun. Basically, I'm learning the ropes without having to rely on profit :)

I will reveal another reason for doing this shortly.... :)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of curiosity, why no more gut shots? Too many obsessive pixel-peepers commenting on how the amp sounds by the way it looks?
I used to post gut shots, but the 'big boys' typically don't go out of their way to show folks (including other builders) what's under the hood. I'm not aiming to be one of the big boys (I'll continue to do this for fun for the time being), but I'm trying to figure out all the important aspects of the amp-building industry. Plus, I build things differently from most other guys, and so I'd like to keep some things secret for now :)

Some info on the build:
- PCB for most of the power supply, including 12V dc for preamp heaters. Designed in house.
- Turret board for most everything else. Designed and built from scratch in house.
- Hand wired in house with clean (electronically and visually) "lead dress".
- grounding scheme and layout optimized for low noise.
- world's most superior standby switch (which is to say that there is no standby switch)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the black tweed/piping/offset aesthetic. Looks great! I really need to look into setting up some kind of throwaway Facebook account for these types of things.
That cab was built by a pedal-board builder in San Diego, who is now out of business. It was a hassle to get, and so I will probably never part with it :)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool and I see you're in Vancouver. Would it be possible to stop by some time to hear what your amps sound like?
Absolutely!
I have a few other amps built, and I'm currently working on one with a new 10W power supply. The prototype of that amp sounded killer, but I'm waiting for a new output transformer to arrive before I can put that one together. Ideally, you could come over once that one is up and running.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Absolutely!
I have a few other amps built, and I'm currently working on one with a new 10W power supply. The prototype of that amp sounded killer, but I'm waiting for a new output transformer to arrive before I can put that one together. Ideally, you could come over once that one is up and running.
Cool. I'm in Squamish but I go to Vancouver quite often. Let me know when you have it up and running.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Cool. I'm in Squamish but I go to Vancouver quite often. Let me know when you have it up and running.
Let me know when you're going, Kerry, and I'll try to meet you there. We can make it a 'thang' and also waste half of much of Mr. Stormbringer's time. :D

You're actually in Coquitlam, correct @stormbringer ?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thats awesome! Thanks @stormbringer
Car repairs has me not getting anything new, anytime soon, and ive been gassing for an 800 for some time!
In like flynn, and liked on FB too

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok the 'official' announcement has gone out. The purpose of the giveaway is to raise a bit of money for ovarian cancer research (and support). I'm asking people to donate $10 directly to Ovarian Cancer Canada.

Details on my amp blog site:
Enter to win a V2 Vibe

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me know when you're going, Kerry, and I'll try to meet you there. We can make it a 'thang' and also waste half of much of Mr. Stormbringer's time. :D

You're actually in Coquitlam, correct @stormbringer ?
@Kerry Brown and @High/Deaf -

I've finished up a new design and would like some feedback on it and the Vibe. Still wanna come by some time?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts