The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know why but I've always loved guitar amps and frequently gas for different amps despite already having most tones covered. In fact, I spend way more time looking and gassing for amps than I do guitars.

However, lately I'm starting to think about pairing down and selling some great amps to get one amazing amp. Most of my amps are vintage Marshall and I love them all but part of me has always wanted an original late 60's Plexi head and cab. I have metal panels that sound great but...Of course, I'd sell the non Marshall's first. Lol

Have any of you ever sold some expensive gear and went all in on one really expensive item (guitars, amps etc). If so, any regrets?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In reality, the metal panels probably sound 99% as good and I don't need a Plexi. Still, it is tempting!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have 14 amps, maybe more. Unless you have a studio, you likely don't need that many.

I had thinned down to basically three amps for about a twenty year period. They were all solid state and made by Gallien Kruger in the 80's. A 250 ML for guitar, a bass head, and a keyboard amp. Almost all my good tube amps were sold off. I did pick up a Garnet Session Man, but not use it much. The GK amps served me well for for a small home studio, and the kids learned bass, keyboard; basically had fun with friends.

I retired ten years ago, and had more time to get reacquainted with tube amps. It is tough to choose just one. I am having a hard time deciding which ones to keep. Most of my friends think that I am nuts for having so much gear; but it is great to be able to experience a piece of gear whenever I want. I guess that I just appreciate the things that I have been blessed with.

If you have actually been appreciating your collection, you may have regrets. I have parted ways with several good amps, and the regrets vanished when other interesting amps eventually took their place. The trick is to just be happy with one?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice Tone Chaser! I too like playing different amps at different times. I hadn't played my Strat for a long time but then I got the Bluesbreaker and that all I'm playing through it.

I think what I'd end up doing is buying all of the stuff all over again. Haha

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts
I like the 'one of each' program.

I've got a tweed-ish (Trinity 5E3), an old non-tweed (Masco converted PA head), a Vox/Matchless-ish (Trinity TC15), a Marshall-ish (Traynor YBA1) and being my preferred choice, a few blackface-ish amps (DRRI, LSS, Sunn T50C). Plus the Vox NightTrain and Mesa TA15, which range between Vox and Marshall (and even tweed) tones. The Fryette PowerStation takes most of these amps to the next level, making them all giggable in any situation.

Lots of tonal and power (from 5 to 50 watts in lots of steps) range. I'm not a home recordist, so that last n-th degree of tone isn't necessary, if I'm in the vicinity for live playing, it's (as they say) close enough for rock and roll.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I think I'm currently at 11 amps. My collection constantly evolved as I kept locating broken vintage amps that needed service. I picked them up for good prices and fixed them all myself. I did sell off several as other good, often better amps came along. I loved them all but I started to feel guilty for some reason when I owned more than 10.

I still own a killer list of amps that I thoroughly enjoy. However the band I'm in lost the drummer a year ago and we are struggling. The music in me has faded a little as I miss playing out. We have sporadic jams with sit in drummers but far to few for my liking. Life changes. My time over the past year has been spent building or repairing amps.

My amp collection is still here with me and I do play them all. Not as much as I should these days, in my opinion. I think I just need some time to do some other things for a while. Then re-ignite the band thing. Hopefully this fall.

Over the past couple of years, these are some of the amps I sold from my evolving collection;

1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb
1959 Fender High Power Tweed Twin
1791 Fender Super Reverb
1973 Fender Twin Reverb
1976 Fender Twin Reverb

All great amps that so far I don't regret selling. I have replaced them with similar great amps. So no feeling of loss so far. I have no plans sell any of what I have left today. The collection pieces remaining have special ties, or fill a unique hole for me. Here's what's left:

1946 Masco PA head conversion
1959 Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3
1960 Fender Bassman 5F6A
1963 Blonde Fender Twin
1963 Brown Fender Vibrolux
1964 Fender Bandmaster and matching cab
1971 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
1971 Ampeg V-4B Bass amp
Clone Fender 6G2 Princeton head I built
Clone 5F2A Princeton combo I built
Clone 5F4 Fender Tweed Super Amp

I want for nothing amp wise today. So nothing needs to move for the next gas attack.
Spoiled? Yes, but also content. Someday maybe something will have to go before I turn senile and give them away. Lol. That's decades away.
I'm the mean time I hope to get the band project reinvigorated and get out playing again. All the amps gotta work. It's what they do best!

Good luck OP whatever you decide to do. There is no wrong answer here. Do what works for you. If a new Marshall fuels your fire to play more, if it makes you excited and giddy, go for it. There are few too many feelings of natural highs in life as we age. A new amp makes me feel like a kid a Christmas still. It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I don't have that many, and have only sold 2 of my amps. A Peavey Bravo 12 combo, which was great but I hardly ever used, and my Sessionman head, which I do miss, even though it was replaced ( used mainly for bass, not used it for PA in ages) by a much higher powered Sunn. I still have my Rebel, so good for Garnets.

I am about to put up another head but this one I bought specifically to fix and flip ( and I have an identical preamp but more power model so won't miss it really) but not till I come back from summer vacation.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think I could sell off my collection of amps. They are all just so different. I could see the the day when I'm down to six guitars, but amps... nope. Part of the problem is that lots of them came to me with stories, or for a fraction of their current value. As a young man I had a few classic cars (Mustangs, Camaro's, Jeeps etc...) and now I kick my ass for selling them. Not going to happen with my amps.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I did a big thinning a few years back, sold my JCM800, 2 vintage Fenders and a couple of nice boutique amps to get my dream amp, a Matchless. I went from 8 down to 2.

Zero regrets, but I did my research and multiple demos and was 100% sure about what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have more gear that I would ever need in a lifetime or two. When doing a gig, I always take the same gear out... the rest is just for home use and personal satisfaction. I love all my stuff but could do without 95% of what I have....

But do I want to ??? Hummmm... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No F... way !!!! :cool::cool::cool:

I just bought another amp this morning to pick up tomorrow !!! :D

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
This was near the height of my madness. I had many more amps but not as many at once.
YCV50 blue - very early production
Rockerverb 50, the old 6V6 version
M&? 18 watt Marshall clone
Vox SS, great sounding little practice amp
67 Deluxe Reverb, that sucker was MINT
66-67 Pro Reverb
the green thing is my 76-77 Vibrochamp rehoused to 2x8. The only one in this pile I still own
Yorkville/Traynor bass amp.
The SG, the ESP, and the maple board (MIM) Strat are/were my son's and the black mini Strat my daughter's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When i bought my 57 Deluxe head (good sale price, I could't resist), which is an excellent amp for me, I told my wife that I would get rid of some amps, but it hasn't happened yet. I've got 6 amps right now and could only reasonably imagine paring down to maybe three. I can't get by without blackface, tweed, and Marshall tones.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really happy to see that I'm not the only one with an amp addiction!

I asked my wife last week if she'd mind if I sold a few amps and bought one really expensive one with the money. She said "are you seriously asking me if I'd mind if you had less amps? I could see the walls again!"

I love all of my amps but my house doesn't have a basement and is actually quite small considering we have 2 teenage boys. My amps end up in the living room, Family room and the JMP 2203 is in the Dining room. Lol
I have a garage but my sons have a full gym set up and my younger son has a X-carve CNC machine so there is no room in there and it's gets really dusty from the CNC. Also, I don't like the idea of having vintage amps in there because of dampness here on the West Coast.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm really happy to see that I'm not the only one with an amp addiction!

I asked my wife last week if she'd mind if I sold a few amps and bought one really expensive one with the money. She said "are you seriously asking me if I'd mind if you had less amps? I could see the walls again!"

I love all of my amps but my house doesn't have a basement and is actually quite small considering we have 2 teenage boys. My amps end up in the living room, Family room and the JMP 2203 is in the Dining room. Lol
I have a garage but my sons have a full gym set up and my younger son has a X-carve CNC machine so there is no room in there and it's gets really dusty from the CNC. Also, I don't like the idea of having vintage amps in there because of dampness here on the West Coast.
I can relate, the gear can take up a lot of space. I sometimes think about trimming the gear down, but I have trouble letting go of things

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can relate, the gear can take up a lot of space. I sometimes think about trimming the gear down, but I have trouble letting go of things
I'm thinking of buying a bigger house...HNG^%$

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
If I were you, Id move the wife and kids in the garage and keep the house for your gear !!! ;)

:D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Space? Costco metal racking is the answer...

I have one metal rack that I keep some my heads on. I went to Home Depot and had them cut a long chipboard shelf to place on top of the metal so the amps have a nice flat surface to sit on.

P.S. Nice collection! If the amps are in a basement the shelves will be the first line of defence if your basement ever floods from a burst pipe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts