The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

American Standard Strat truss rod etc.

Repair Question 
2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  tomee2 
#1 ·
The neck was a little bowed and the truss rod wouldn't turn any more, so I removed the walnut plug and the truss rod nut (after much cursing and swearing)so i can insert some washers.. The nut isn't completely stripped but it's pretty worn, so I should probably replace it. I also need the correct size washer or washers. Does anyone know what the best source for these parts would be? Also I chewed up the walnut plug quite a bit so I should probably replace it too, but i don't think i have the tools or skill to re-shape it.
I'm on a low budget, but I'm considering just taking it to someone who has the parts and skill to finish the job.
I don't really want to go to L&M, I'm wondering what would be a good place to take it?

#4 ·
So the nut is at the heal end then. If you can remove the nut just replace it, fairly cheap for the nut. Then just get a handful of washers big enough to slide over the threaded part of the truss rod but small enough to fit and not bind up inside the neck. I used 2 flat washers from Home Depot. Don’t buy the lock washer just regular flat washers. I used 2 and put the new nut back on and it worked out great. Have a few washers left over just incase it happens again. Not sure why you removed the walnut plug though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.