The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neck was a little bowed and the truss rod wouldn't turn any more, so I removed the walnut plug and the truss rod nut (after much cursing and swearing)so i can insert some washers.. The nut isn't completely stripped but it's pretty worn, so I should probably replace it. I also need the correct size washer or washers. Does anyone know what the best source for these parts would be? Also I chewed up the walnut plug quite a bit so I should probably replace it too, but i don't think i have the tools or skill to re-shape it.
I'm on a low budget, but I'm considering just taking it to someone who has the parts and skill to finish the job.
I don't really want to go to L&M, I'm wondering what would be a good place to take it?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
It’s a USA Strat? The truss rod nut should just be a Allen key nut. The walnut plug you removed from where, the heal of the neck or the top? American vintage would have a heal adjust truss rod nut. A few pics would help I guess.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
So the nut is at the heal end then. If you can remove the nut just replace it, fairly cheap for the nut. Then just get a handful of washers big enough to slide over the threaded part of the truss rod but small enough to fit and not bind up inside the neck. I used 2 flat washers from Home Depot. Don’t buy the lock washer just regular flat washers. I used 2 and put the new nut back on and it worked out great. Have a few washers left over just incase it happens again. Not sure why you removed the walnut plug though.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Never mind all that. I googled what you have. A bi-flex truss rod. Still same sort of fix. You can buy a kit with the nut, washers and plug. Here’s the kit, gives you a idea of the washer size though
28C5D168-A1D1-4C4A-82A7-FB8CE35F2AA2.jpeg

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found the washers at Canadian Tire, #5 metric, flattened them out and put them in. It worked! I got the neck where I want it.
Now all I need is the walnut plug, preferably pre-shaped.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Nice. I’d just do a quick google search. That pic I posted was right off google, think it’s a UK company that sells that kit.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I mean the plug should be pretty cheap and easy to make I would think. Get a small piece of dowel that fits in, drill a hole in the middle. Tape off the headstock and sand it flush.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean the plug should be pretty cheap and easy to make I would think. Get a small piece of dowel that fits in, drill a hole in the middle. Tape off the headstock and sand it flush.
I think you would have to do more than sand it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts