The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Heard about that yesterday. Pretty spectacular. As I understood it, the spina bifida is not completely "cured", but the anticipated effects are greatly reduced, permitting as close to a normal development as one might hope for.
I chalk that up as a success.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
My cousin was born with it. He's never walked - zero feeling from the waist down, but has managed to reach the age of 40, has his own apartment and works every day. He's never let it slow him down and manages to drive 50 miles to show up at many of my gigs. Amazingly independent. Truly an inspiration to me and those around him.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
YEs. These special people are a blessing. It’s shameful that many with diagnoses of “ less than desirable” aren’t even let to take their first breath. Ipray for that to end one day soon.

My brother is at the mental age of a 12 yr old. He’s 54 and in a group home. He doesn’t have a fix. Well i Love him just the way he is

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Yes, I saw that on CBC's website. Quite the operation and spectacular results.

Some of you may remember that Hank Williams suffered with that and some think the reason he drank so much was to try and kill the pain.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
YEs. These special people are a blessing. It’s shameful that many with diagnoses of “ less than desirable” aren’t even let to take their first breath. Ipray for that to end one day soon.

My brother is at the mental age of a 12 yr old. He’s 54 and in a group home. He doesn’t have a fix. Well i Love him just the way he is
Love him just the way he is. So many people that are either mentally or physically challenged are forgotten about.

I have a really nice story. We have this really cute young blond that works with me. Great kid, excellent employee. Anyhow on her day off she got a love letter from a developmentally challenged young man. He came into our business with his caregiver. He started to engage "blondie" in conversation and she talked with him for a half hour. He came back a couple of days later so proud of this little "gift" he created for her. I just thought this was so cute.

Isn't amazing what some kind words and some attention will do?

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
my little brother's first daughter was born with it. they took her to the children's hospital here, and afaik, they cured it. today she is in university studying to be one of those csi people. from what i'm told, she's doing extremely well. iirc, she played field hockey in h.s. and has lived normally for most of her life. i remember the tubes behind her ears though, when she was a baby.
the cool thing about the toronto hospital is, the baby wasn't even born yet. well done canada.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
My cousin was born with it. He's never walked - zero feeling from the waist down, but has managed to reach the age of 40, has his own apartment and works every day. He's never let it slow him down and manages to drive 50 miles to show up at many of my gigs. Amazingly independent. Truly an inspiration to me and those around him.
My brother had it. As bad as your cousin. At 18 he ran a bath for himself that was too hot. Ended up getting burnt ( no feeling from waist down) ... blood poisoning and some other complications ended his life in 68'.

My 2o something niece had it but at one day old , CHEO did some surgery and she has been fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts