The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who did you see, where, and when?

I can’t say I saw SRV at the El mocambo or the Stones at the Horseshoe Tavern but believe it or not, Amanda Marshall was amazing at the Sidetrack Cafe in Edmonton just after the release of her debut album in the summer of 1996. My girlfriend (now wife of 20 years) and I lived within walking distance back then and Amanda’s performance still ranks high on my list of great shows.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
That's a tough one. I've seen so many great acts at the Commodore, where you could go on up and touch them if you were so inclined:

Devin Townsend Band/Project
Strapping Young Lad
Pantera (the night they shaved Vince Neil's head backstage - epic night)
Dixie Dregs
Lyle Lovett (not his big band, but a 3 piece acoustic set that was amazing-balls)

I also saw Eric Johnson at 86 Street (a club on the edge of downtown) right around Cliffs of Dover time and less than a year after SRV died. He talked alot about that.

And in the early 80's, Kim Mitchell played a Halloween party at SAIT, while I was a student there.

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I used to love seeing Teenage Head at Spats in Etobicoke. they always put on a good show

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Saw just about every blues player that was active in the early 70’s at the Egress on Beaty in Vancouver. Little hole in wall. Many times the big acts would show up to jam with whoever was there. I actually saw Johnny Winter sit in with Mississippi Fred McDowell, both with acoustic guitars. Fred died shortly after that. My favourite though was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

The Egress - Vancouver, BC

L

·
0 Posts
Stones at the Horseshoe Tavern
Not that small, but, I seen them at the Blind Benefit show in Oshawa '79, a hockey arena, which is small for the Stones.
The added plus was meeting Mick and John Belushi (MC'd the show) during intermission down the walkway at the arena.

A few bands played a bar here in our little town en route to their Toronto shows.
Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show, April Wine and The Headstones.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
April Wine - I saw them in a small arena in Fredericton when I was 17 and my wife had them at their high school in Mississauga twice.
Downchild Blue Band - Saw them at the El Mocambo in Toronto 40+ years ago.
Ian Thomas & Murray McLaughlin - The Playhouse Theatre (front row) in Fredericton
Valdy - Here in my hometown of Minto, NB back in the early 70's in a small hall that held less than 100.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Roger Daltrey at a corporate gig in Banff. It was sometime in last 6 or 7 years, in a conference room (no tables or seats). Didn't have to put up with standing in a sea of people. His voice was unbelievable good for his age. Pete Townshend's son was playing guitar.

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
Being a fan of bands that don't get radio play (for the most part), I've gotten to see most of my favourite bands in pretty small venues.

The Flatliners at Call The Office pretty much every December for a few years was always a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I Mother Earth/Our Lady Peace @ the Town Pump in Vancouver. I Mother Earth had Rain Will Fall out. Had never heard of OLP. Raine Maida was on crutches with a hurt leg.

Green Day Phoenix Concert Theatre for the American Idiot release party.

Metallica - The Opera House Hardwired release party

Barenaked Ladies - Phoenix Concert Theatre for a NDP event with Jack Layton.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
My favourite though was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

The Egress - Vancouver, BC
I saw them at the El Mocambo in the early 80s and they were really good

A couple of other small venue shows that I can recall:

XTC at the Masonic temple
Tower of Power at the El Mocambo
Jorma Kaukonen solo at the Big Bop
Duke Robillard at the Silver Dollar
Roy Buchanan at the Brunswick House and the Horseshoe
Teenage Head at the Humber College pub
Hot Tuna at the Fur Peace Ranch

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I saw them at the El Mocambo in the early 80s and they were really good

A couple of other small venue shows that I can recall:

XTC at the Masonic temple
Tower of Power at the El Mocambo
Jorma Kaukonen solo at the Big Bop
Duke Robillard at the Silver Dollar
Roy Buchanan at the Brunswick House and the Horseshoe
Teenage Head at the Humber College pub
Hot Tuna at the Fur Peace Ranch
You didn't get to see the Stones at the El Mocambo? :)

That would have been something.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Doug & The Slugs, early 90's. Somehow got invited backstage and whooped it up with the band after the show.

Also memorable was KD Lang at the Sidetrack in Edmonton before she was signed.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Doug and the Slugs in ~1980 at a small club in Moncton. Myself and two friends (and a lone bartender) were the audience, until just before close when one other (possibly lost) soul walked in. They played as if there were a thousand screaming fans there.
David Clayton Thomas, David Wilcox, and a few others that escape me in the early 80s in a small nightclub/strip club in Halifax called the Lobster Trap.
Levon Helm (playing as a second drummer with his cousins? The Cate Brothers) at The Palace in Halifax.
Roger Hodgson solo at a radio promo show for 60 people in a small bar (don't recall the name) in Toronto early 90's. He played two solid hours switching between a 6 string Guild, 12 string Guild and a keyboard. Classy guy.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
John Hammond Jr.-The Firehall, London, ON. Talked with him a bit...total gentleman.
Duke Robillard-The Firehall, London, ON. Again a total gentleman.
Ronnie Earl-The Firehall, London, ON.
The Demics- Tons of times at The Cedar Lounge, London, ON.
Roger McGuinn-Fryfogles, London, ON
The Rockets-Nags Head North, Toronto, ON
Rory Gallagher-Harpo's, Detroit, MI
Roomful Of Blues-The Soup Kitchen, Detroit, MI
Johnny A-Callahans, Auburn Hills, MI

·
Registered
750 Posts
Amboy Dukes Survival Of The Fittest tour, in a small primary school gymnasium, 150/200 people at the most. I was 15 feet from the stage. Incredible show.
This exact show, could have been recorded that night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts