The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I hate ColdPlay. I find their stuff so depressing. If I was going to end my life that's what I'd listen to.:eek:

I enjoy Green Day.

Creed's a guilty pleasure just because I think Mark is way underated.

Didn't get New Metallica.

New Pop Punk doesn't do much for me.

Don't know the rest of the stuff you listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jroberts said:
Can't stand the yarling.

It's OK when Eddie Vedder does it, because he kind of started it. It just sounds goofy when anyone else does it.
considering they sold millions of cd's somebody must have liked them.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I liked the Black album. I thought St. Anger was a classic comedy album though. Listen to Eddie Murphy, or Robin Williams, and then listen to St. Anger. You cant tell me there is no influence there. I want ice cream!............

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like old Green Day.. and I used to like Creed, but all their cds sounded the same.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
badbone said:
considering they sold millions of cd's somebody must have liked them.

Ya Celine Dion, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer all sold millions of CD's too, and that doesn't really justify it :) .

I try not to ever be insulting to anyone's musical tastes, but Creed are likely my least favourite band of all time. Since you specifically asked for reasons, I just find it insanely shallow (especially lyrically), overproduced, egotistical music. And then you see their videos were the singer seems to basically imply that he's some kind of saviour and it pretty much seals the deal. They also opened up the floodgates for a ton of bands that sound the exact same. As someone else mentioned it was already done by Pearl Jam, but at least there music had some substance to it, and some decent lyrical content.

I don't listen to much on your list, but I like Bloc Party a lot. Their guitar tones/dynamics are great. I think a lot of people don't like them because they had that 'drilled into you head as the next big thing' thing going on.

I think Trivium are very good, I just can't get into them. I just don't dig the 'growly' vocals on some of the stuff.

I think Coldplay are decent, but a lot of their stuff starts to sound the same to me after awhile.

Poppunk wise I will admit it's a guilty pleasure when Sum 41 or Gob come on the radio. I wouldn't buy an album, but I will turn it up on the radio.

I know it's off topic, but back to my first paragraph.....do you guys know anyone that owns a Celine Dion album? These other bands that sold millions of albums I actually know people who own the albums. I have never talked to anyone who owns a Celine Dion album, or never seen one in anyone's house I have visisted. Do people just hide her albums?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Coldplay - decent backgound music. I like Chris Martin's voice but musically its just not something I'd really sit down and "listen" to.

Mobile - I know the name but can't recall anything about them.

Creed - can't stand em.

Green Day (old and new) - it's amazing how that little punk rock band we heard on kerplunk turned into one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. dig em. they just keep getting better.

Bloc Party - not a fan. in the least.

New Metallica - how new? last time I was fanatical about them was around Justice...they've written some good stuff since but just not into it as much.

New Trivium - who?

Most Pop Punk Bands - depends on which ones. there's lots of good ones and lots of horrible ones. I'm a big Descendents/All fan, and generally dig bands that have that socal pop punk sound.

Sage Francis - who?

Angels And Airwaves - yeah this record is alright. pretty cool that the drummer from Rocket From the Crypt is playing with them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hoser said:
Most Pop Punk Bands - depends on which ones. there's lots of good ones and lots of horrible ones. I'm a big Descendents/All fan, and generally dig bands that have that socal pop punk sound.
The pop punk bands Im talking about are ones like New Found Glory, Blink 182, Rufio (amazing guitar work for a pop punk band, check them out). And bands people label as emo, even though I know theyre not like Hawthorne Heights, Relient K and I cant think of any other big names.

Oh yeah, and anybody like Horse the band?

·
Registered
698 Posts
zao_89 said:
I seem to be the only person I know who likes:

Coldplay
Mobile
Creed
Green Day (old and new)
Bloc Party
New Metallica
New Trivium
Most Pop Punk Bands
Sage Francis
Angels And Airwaves

Anyone else like any of them?
Coldplay - I can listen to it, but I'd never buy it.

Mobile - ???

Creed - I so want to hate them for the mounds and mounds of drivle they spawned. However, I can't help but like "My Own Prison" and to a degree even the next one (title eludes me). The little fills in the chorus of "Higher" drive me crazy though...I mean Ted Bundy crazy.

Green Day - They've always been hit-or-miss with me. I like "Dookie" & LOVE "Nimrod". I kinda lost touch for a while until "American Idiot". A great album by a band that had "grown up" a lot.

Bloc Party - Never liked them. No real reason...I just don't dig it.

New Metallica - Well, I love The Black Album, Load & Re-load. The problem with that stuff for most old-school Metallica fans is it's not MOP or Justice, but musically it is all solid stuff. St. Anger, on the other hand, is a tough album to like - especially the studio recording. I kind of enjoy the "live in the studio" DVD that came with it though.

Trivium (old or new) - I just don't dig bands like Trivium, regardless of incarnation. I see the talent there and certainly the skill but there's just something about it I just can't stomach.

Pop-punk bands - Well, I really like a tune here and there but quite frankly I wouldn't be able to tell you what band is playing it. I would never buy an album. Same goes for the Emo-core stuff (stupid friggin term). The fact is I can't tell one band from another because the all sound exactly the same - same production, same vocal style, etc.

Sage Francis - Buh?

Angels & Airwaves - also Buh?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...if i enjoy an artist's music i have little problem ignoring the naysayers. too often its "professional jealousy", or the fact that we love to hate anyone who is successful. i love to hear certain songs by celine dion and shania twain, no matter how uncool or unhip that makes me. i occasionally enjoy nickleback and creed. i'm a big fan of both u2 and the stones. i love (non-mainstream) country and bluegrass, pop opera (bocelli) and try my best to appreciate and enjoy rap and hip hop although so far i've failed miserably in that regard.

i think it is crucial to maintain an open mind.

-dh

·
Registered
698 Posts
david henman said:
...if i enjoy an artist's music i have little problem ignoring the naysayers. too often its "professional jealousy", or the fact that we love to hate anyone who is successful. i love to hear certain songs by celine dion and shania twain, no matter how uncool or unhip that makes me. i occasionally enjoy nickleback and creed. i'm a big fan of both u2 and the stones. i love (non-mainstream) country and bluegrass, pop opera (bocelli) and try my best to appreciate and enjoy rap and hip hop although so far i've failed miserably in that regard.

i think it is crucial to maintain an open mind.
+1 Dave. Good music is good music regardless of genre. It is also 100% subjective. I freely admit that for the most part I'm an old-school hard rock/metalhead, but you'll also find Sam & Dave, ELO, Blondie, Underworld, SRV, Johnny Cash and a host of others in my racks.

Like yourself I have a hard time connecting with most rap & hip-hop stuff. The closest I've gotten is early Beastie Boys & some of the rap/rock fusion type deals.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Emohawk said:
+1 Dave. Good music is good music regardless of genre. It is also 100% subjective. I freely admit that for the most part I'm an old-school hard rock/metalhead, but you'll also find Sam & Dave, ELO, Blondie, Underworld, SRV, Johnny Cash and a host of others in my racks.

Like yourself I have a hard time connecting with most rap & hip-hop stuff. The closest I've gotten is early Beastie Boys & some of the rap/rock fusion type deals.
I'm with you guys!
When it comes to rap/hip hop though, I like watching the chicks dance to it!
:banana: "Its getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes!" :banana:

·
Registered
526 Posts
check out the roots, digable planets, early black eyed peas, de la soul, rascalz, mos def, the pharcyde, company flow, public enemy, kardinal offishall, and k-os, k'naan and buck 65 for some good and different hip hop music.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Old School Daze

I would have to say that the music industry (thats what it is) has changed the way things are done. In the old days a record label would sign a band and let them develop over a few albums and if one didnt sell.....it would be thats okay we'll get her next time around. But nowadays.......its all about money.......there is no real artistic merit in a lot of the bands that were mentioned in previous posts. Thus the music sounds very repetitive and overrecycled......and frankly shallow in musicianship. The guys who run the record companies nowadays dont care about quality.......its about money and these guys are under great pressure to sell, sell, sell.........if they dont, they are dropped from the label.
That is exactly why all the bands mentioned at the beginning of this thread wont have the staying power or originality of a band like Rush............lets see Green Day sell 30 plus albums..............it will never happen.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...here's a great rant on the subject from another forum (and not aimed at anyone here):

"A distressing chunk of the time some of this outfit sounds like the
same eternal parade of near-senility, self-righteousness and rancour
that imagine themselves part of a greatest generation and some sort of
artistic pinnacle - just like every other generation of soon to be
doddering old ****s that have preceded them into that perhaps good
but definitely eternal night. Even more often than I do, fer chrissakes.

"Hate whatever bands you want to. Hate whatever fans you want to. So
will I. Just don't ever imagine that too many people give a **** what
you or I think."

:bow:

·
Registered
526 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
I would have to say that the music industry (thats what it is) has changed the way things are done. In the old days a record label would sign a band and let them develop over a few albums and if one didnt sell.....it would be thats okay we'll get her next time around. But nowadays.......its all about money.......there is no real artistic merit in a lot of the bands that were mentioned in previous posts. Thus the music sounds very repetitive and overrecycled......and frankly shallow in musicianship. The guys who run the record companies nowadays dont care about quality.......its about money and these guys are under great pressure to sell, sell, sell.........if they dont, they are dropped from the label.
That is exactly why all the bands mentioned at the beginning of this thread wont have the staying power or originality of a band like Rush............lets see Green Day sell 30 plus albums..............it will never happen.
I agree we live in a fast food society in every way.
you do know Green Day have released 8 albums (9 including a greatest hits) and have been around for about 16 years right? Listen to the band on "1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours", then the band on "American Idiot". Huge difference.
Rush haven't released 30 albums...I wouldn't really hold them up as an example of a band with staying power since they barely graced the mainstream and are a fringe/cult band.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts