The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Do you enjoy Black Metal?

• Yes!!!!!! ARRrrrrrooooooooOOOOOgwwaAAArrrrRRR!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No! They scare me :(

Votes: 53 74.6%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love death, tech death, etc...

But when I hear bands like Mayhem, Burzum etc...I like the guitar work on some of them...But the overall atmosphere/mood I get from listening to Black Metal is something I don't like.

What about you guys?

(Feel free to move this to the music sub-forum...Probably belongs there lol).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like all sorts of metal as well (Doom, Sweedish, Death, Black etc). Although most of my music is mostly metal, I also enjoy other types.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
Can you explain to an old person (me) what black metal is? How is it different from *regular* metal?
What sticks out to me is it's darker lyrically and that real guteral style of singing. I couldn't understand word being sang, from the little I've heard. There's probably much more to it but that's what my simple mind observes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Metal

I personally can listen to any metal thats out there but what drives me over the cliff is the cookie monster vocals for a lot of it.
If you cant understand the words whats the point?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The differences...

GillianGirl said:
Can you explain to an old person (me) what black metal is? How is it different from *regular* metal?

Oh yea...Trust me guys, I forgot to mention there is a HUGE difference between Death and Black metal.

Get ready for a little lesson lol.

Atleast have the neo-nazi black metal bands that came out of the late 80's, early 90s were racist in some way...But they were worst...Look at this below.

The guy in this picture, (they called him 'Dead') was from the Black Metal band Mayhem...
Often during tours, he would bury his clothes underground for weeks, and then dig them up when he had to go play, because he wanted to smell like 'death'...A famous incident about this was when he found a dead raven in the middle of a 1991 tour, and put it in a bag, and opened it every now and then, taking deep sniffs saying he "needed to smell death".

Dead blew his own brains out in 1993. His suicide note said "Excuse all the blood, cheers!".

After he blew his brains out, band member Euronymous (In the picture below) took pictures of him lying there with his brains lying out, and put it on the cover of an album... Supposedly he ate parts of 'Dead's brains, saying he always wanted to taste flesh. Another thing, people also say that he has pieces of his bandmates skull, that he made a necklace out of.
The picture below is Euronymous.

The next thing that happened in this band, was Varg Vikirnes, who was playing bass for Mayhem at the time...brutally murdered Euronymous (above) with 21 stabwounds...He even described how he did it, saying Euronymous struggled, and he finished him with a brutal wound to his head that through the other side of his head. Below is Varg Virkenes, who has currently been in prison for 14 years, and will be there for a much longer time.

Thats what MOST people would refer to as real black metal...Personally I don't like it...but w/e.

Hope you enjoyed it!

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I put yes, because Black Metal is the name of a great Venom album that came out 25 years ago. Some of the black metal from Scandinavia has some great atmospheric songs, but I dont like the cookie monster crap. Still think the best Black Metal is Venom though, "Lay down your souls to the gods Rock and Roll, Black Metal!"........................

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
What the difference between black and death metal,... other than the Scandinavian thing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lester B. Flat said:
Kinda makes Ozzie Osbourne look like Pat Boone.:D

Stratocaster, with the new information you provided, I feel that I now have enough information to vote, so I did. Altho' I think maybe you should add another category.....
"These people need psychiatric help." :tongue:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zao_89 said:
The only black metal-ish bands I like are Children of Bodom (their oldest stuff) and Cradle of Filth. I find all black metal band's songs sound the same.
CoB is pure death metal with very few black metal influences.

But as to what I can tell...The people in death metal seem to care a little more about the music (my opinion).

And Robert1950, in Black Metal...9/10 times, the members are satanic etc, when in death metal, they just sing about satanic stuff...but they tend to be more normal people in death metal.

In black metal, they have much raspier vocals (think flowerday mentioned something about this), half the bands from the Northern Europe area are neo-nazis, the guitar work is a little slower etc...Here, look at this Robert.

You'll notice the guitar work is not as heavy as death metal, and those vocals are something you wouldn't hear in death metal..

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MaxWedge said:
Geez and people accuse Buckethead of using a gimmick.
Yea! But comon, the people in Mayhem didn't wear a stupid bucket on their head, all they did was kill each other!

Jks lol I love buckethead:rockon2:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I remember when metal was metal and there werent 3000 classifications. I prefer that to the whole labeling thing. If only the muppets made a metal movie, Muppets Take Metal and it would have Pete telling Kermit, "Big City Nights, hmm? Live. Work, huh? But. Only metal. Metal is metal. No is amp. Is whammy, huh? Is metal, is thrashing, is banging, is satan. So, metal is metal. Okay?" It would be a new classic...........

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
To me metal was Sabbath and tunes like ironman, there was music there and a vocalist that could actually sing. This newer classes of metal kind of make me wonder where things are going. This is just my opinion maybe some do enjoy ??

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Ossie can sing? When did this happen?.....................

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't know how people can take most modern metal seriously. IMO it's like they took the schlockiest, cheesiest parts of 80s metal (image wise) and blew them up to epic proportions. Even Slayer are a parody of themselves.

Death, Black, whatever metal....most of it is shit and takes itself way too seriously. sorry.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts