The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies and gents,

I'm just wondering if I'm completely inept with reverb and doing something wrong, or if others have similar experiences as myself.

First of all, I've never actually bought anything from reverb, but that's the issue I'm trying to figure out; I find deals on there, but the deal quickly disappears once I see the cost of shipping. A$200 guitar isn't a great deal once you factor in another $200 in shipping.

Then I look to higher end guitars, figuring that even with a high cost of shipping, it will even out and still be a better deal than what can be had here in Canada, and yet the prices are higher than if I just bought from L&M.

Maybe there's some filter setting I'm missing, or maybe there's something else? Have any of you guys done some great deals on reverb?

Thanks for the help and any tips.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Usually the site determines your location automatically and converts to Cdn $ and shows what's available to be shipped to Canada. If not you can set it in the filter selections on the left side. You can also narrow it down to seller is located in Canada.

Right now exchange and shipping an item generally considered as oversized negates any potential saving from buying from the US.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I don't use it either. If I lived close the the US border I might consider it but more likely would use Guitar Centre for used guitars.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Its good for selling, but for buying, the prices are ridiculous even without the exchange. I don't know why people even bother listing stuff.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its good for selling, but for buying, the prices are ridiculous even without the exchange. I don't know why people even bother listing stuff.
That's the vibe I get from the place. A lot of people are selling their used gear for more than it would cost to buy new... I really don't get people's logic, but I guess if some unlucky person bites, the seller can really cash in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I do buy from time to time, but I have the gear delivered to a parcel service across the border. Works great for me. Last thing was a Ibanez TSA15H, $275 CDN delivered.

Nice thing is that if you are looking for something specific, you can create an alert. I got a sweet set of Sanford Magnetics P90 for $100 US, that way.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I got a fair deal (just below the going rate at the time) on my vintage Sunn 1200s amp head on Reverb.

Prices and even shipping (usually auto calc - which often over-estimates) are negotiable - hit that "make an offer" button - doesn't hurt to try, worst case you get ignored . That's what I did with the Sunn head; got a couple hundred taken off the price, just by asking.

The Yanks seem to like buying my shit on there too, so great.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
It started slow when I joined in 2013 and I now have 50+ transactions. it is a great platform for pedals but I've also purchased and sold guitars - definitely getting a bigger audience in the last year.

They have Direct Checkout for Canadians whereby you can have US$ transferred to your US$ bank account (also works for CDN$). I haven't tried it yet and the fees are less than Pay{al. PayPal's recent changes to foreign currencies is a pain. When I sell stuff in US$, unless the buyer does a 2nd step in the transaction, I will receive CDN$. I discussed it with a PayPal rep. and they could only umm and ahh. Over 18 years with PayPal and this one pissed me off. Absolute BS policy for foreigners - I recently started having my credit card company charge me the foreign currency equivalent on PayPal so perhaps this is there way to get even!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I just picked up a compressor off there for a good price. As mentioned earlier, if the price looks high, just make an offer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will echo what a few people have already mentioned: try the 'make an offer' feature. You never know.

I got my LTD BW-1 that way, in like new condition with a case for under 1000$ CAD + very reasonable shipping. These go for 1800$ new (no case). The appeal of Reverb on this particular purchase was access to a larger seller pool; that guitar simply doesn't come up on my local Kijiji (and perhaps never will) because it's not common. I guess the same applies to eBay, but I prefer Reverb's protections / offer system (and the inventory isn't the same either).

That said, I don't think good deals on Reverb occur all that often for us Canadians, especially with shipping+duties factored in. I still stick to local classifieds for most of my guitar buying/selling.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
PayPal's recent changes to foreign currencies is a pain. When I sell stuff in US$, unless the buyer does a 2nd step in the transaction, I will receive CDN$. I discussed it with a PayPal rep. and they could only umm and ahh. Over 18 years with PayPal and this one pissed me off. Absolute BS policy for foreigners - I recently started having my credit card company charge me the foreign currency equivalent on PayPal so perhaps this is there way to get even!
I do not have this issue. Maybe because my account is ancient or maybe because it is not tied to a bank account or maybe because I originally set it up in US$ or maybe because I list all my ebay/reverb items in US$ or a combination of the above. A buyer pays in US$ and I get US$; then I use that to buy stuff or transfer to my bank account (and then get hit with the conversion fee at that point; still worth it if you wait to transfer until there's a conversion rate peak).

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
I do not have this issue. Maybe because my account is ancient or maybe because it is not tied to a bank account or maybe because I originally set it up in US$ or maybe because I list all my ebay/reverb items in US$ or a combination of the above. A buyer pays in US$ and I get US$; then I use that to buy stuff or transfer to my bank account (and then get hit with the conversion fee at that point; still worth it if you wait to transfer until there's a conversion rate peak).
I've had the same account for 18 years and this recently changed. Have you done a recent transaction that you received US$? I can still receive US$ but the buyer needs to do a 2nd step. My most recent transactions have been received in CDN $. I did have one transaction where I was able to ask the buyer to do the 2nd step and it worked.

On a side note, when you purchase US$ gear, do you let PayPal convert and charge your cc in CDN$ or have PayPal charge you in US$ (and your credit card co. converts)?

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I have found some really good deals on pedals and I found my reissue Vibroverb on Reverb. But I agree, everyone is pricing their guitars as if they are brand new in box. LOL, and 200 plus for shipping from the USA is just a way to make an extra few bucks and to cover the reverb fees.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts