The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
For some reason got GAS for a Tele a few weeks ago. Always used to hate them. Mind you, the same was true for Strats, and I have owned 5, and now have three.

Anyway, I have been wanting to approximate the look of the wonderful, but incredibly so-overpriced-that-I-will-never-be-able-to-afford-it George Harrison Tele; and I also want to make sure that whatever I buy has relatively standard sized components and parts, because I would want to upgrade it, if I went this route, rather than buying a Chinese copy (see my other recent post).

I thought that one of the alternatives to going the Chinese route would be to buy a decent, used Tele, and then potentially sand the body and neck, and stain it in a Rosewood finish.

Is this realistic, or even possible (to colour a body and neck with a kind of brown and black, brindle-like finish), or am I crazy to even contemplate this?

Answers on a postcard, please - or just some replies here - will be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
P.S. It is so nice to write the word "colour" on a forum and not have it highlighted as a spelling mistake :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That’s a rosewood tele.

Warmoth is a good bet.

There were Japanese Fender versions in the 90’s.

There was a reissue a couple of years ago.

P

·
0 Posts
At an undisclosed location, Master Builder Paul Waller closely examined Harrison’s unique original instrument to recreate this legendary guitar as accurately as possible. Appearing stock to a casual observer, subtle details set this guitar apart as both a prototype instrument and an exceptional Custom Shop creation. The sleek rosewood neck is fashioned from two pieces of rosewood capped with a rosewood fingerboard, just like Harrison’s original, instead of the traditional one-piece construction. The neck’s visible seam line adds to the character of the instrument, marking it as a unique creation. The nut is 1/8" wider than most vintage Telecasters for a unique advantage while playing; the wider string spacing makes it easier to finger chords that ring out loud and clear, with plenty of crisp articulation.

In a subtly distinctive aesthetic touch, the early-'60s style "spaghetti" logo decal sits atop the finish, instead of the era’s typical "transition" logo underneath the finish. The decal is also placed closer to the nut than is traditional, resulting in a relocated string tree and slightly altered break angle behind the nut. The hardware is as historically accurate as possible; a vintage-style three-saddle bridge, 21 narrow jumbo frets, a Micarta nut and classic Fender "F"-stamped tuning machines are all present, just as on the original instrument.

Paul Waller’s world-class craftsmanship and attention to detail, subtle aesthetic touches and appointments and, of course, the hand wound "Abby" pickups all add up to make the George Harrison Tribute Rosewood Telecaster a once-in-a-lifetime tribute to a truly fabulous instrument that could only come from the Dream Factory—the Fender Custom Shop.

Seductively alluring, with soft, warm look, the body is crafted from four pieces of hand-selected rosewood sandwiching a thin maple veneer, just like the original prototype created by Fender’s Roger Rossmeisl and Phillip Kubicki and gifted to Harrison in 1968. These pieces of rosewood were chosen for their grain pattern, enhancing the already stunning aesthetics of this guitar.

The pickups were hand wound by none other than famed winder Abigail Ybarra, who broke her 2013 retirement to apply her expertise to this historic recreation’s pickups. Airy and clear-sounding, they make the guitar’s voice come alive with amazingly well-defined note articulation and incredibly reactive, highly dynamic tone.

Paying respect to Harrison and his fans, the Telecaster bears a very light Closet Classic finish, approximating the condition it would be in after the short time it was in George’s hands for the historic "Let It Be" recording sessions and final live, rooftop concert.

George Harrison Rosewood Telecaster - Fender® Custom Shop | Fender® Custom Shop

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Hammerhands and Player99,
Yes, the reissue a couple of years ago was something like $8000 - hence my comment above.

There was one in Tundra Music (not sure which branch), for close to $4000, but not sure if it is still there, and I am scared to check, just in case I lead myself astray.

And the original Fender Custom Shop version was $26,000, if memory serves.

Cannot find any Japanese Fender versions, although I did look the other day because someone else also mentioned them. I will look again.

Player99, the photos and video that you included show the $8000/$4000 version from a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts about my questions regarding buying the practicality and effectiveness of staining a non-Rosewood looking Tele body and neck?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If there ever was a guitar that would be a problem for CITES,

On Reverb there is a 1993 MIJ for $2300
a 2011 60th anniversary Telebration for $1800
a 2003 MIM rosewood veneer Tele for $800
a Warmoth for about $2000
a neck and body set for $750
a Jay Turser for $350

Here’s a 60th anniversary in Calgary for $1800. It doesn’t look as good to me without the matching headstock.
60th anniversary 2012 Fender Telecaster Rosewood | Guitars | Calgary | Kijiji

P

·
0 Posts
I would look into Warmoth and get the correct wood. They have photos of the actual necks and bodies so you might get a very similar piece of wood.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there ever was a guitar that would be a problem for CITES,
Yes, that was one of the things that worried me about looking for an actual Rosewood guitar, and - along with the up-front expense of the guitars you included here - were the factors that made me go the 'copy' route.

I am afraid I am going to have to stick to that decision.

Thanks for these suggestions, though.

And, Player99, thanks for the Warmoth suggestion.

Have either of you ever sanded and stained a body and neck? It would help me to know if that idea is realistic or not.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Could end up being a mess if you don’t know what you are doing with woodworking and stains.

I am wondering how far you have to go with removing the old finish so that the wood is porous enough to accept a stain and then what - some kind of clear coat on top of the stain?

·
Premium Member
17,202 Posts
There's a bunch of rosewood necked American Standards floating around. Then you're halfway there.
1. There are?!
2. He's not wrong.

However, with your stain idea, it works *IF* you don't care about the grain pattern being realistic.

Our old producer has a rosewood tele, I'm guessing it's one of those reissues. He won't sell it, but I can tell you it's a nice guitar.

There is the walnut tele for sale on here if you want to ballpark the look.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
1. There are?!
2. He's not wrong.

However, with your stain idea, it works *IF* you don't care about the grain pattern being realistic.

Our old producer has a rosewood tele, I'm guessing it's one of those reissues. He won't sell it, but I can tell you it's a nice guitar.

There is the walnut tele for sale on here if you want to ballpark the look.
They were an L&M FSR that didn't sell well. They blew them out pretty cheap 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Should look for opinions about Tundra through this forum... ;-)

I am not an electric guy, but I wonder why you are looking for something similar to an original if you are already planning to change it all...

I once bought an electric that I knew I would upgrade only pickups...

P.S. Your question "Are you crazy ?" reminds me an old joke. A schoolboard official once asked a classroom :
I have a seven meter sailboat, two meters wide and sail height twelve meter : How old am I ?
Amongst a puzzled classroom, a student hold his hand right away and answered : "Forty-four years, Sir !"
The official, impressed by this bull's eye answer, asked for an explanation.
"Quite simple, Sir ! My elder brother is twenty-two and my mother says he is half-crazy !"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Wardo, Cboutilier, Hammerhands, Budda and mawmow,
Many thanks for the suggestions, advice, warnings and even (thanks to mawmow) jokes.

All very helpful and appreciated, and all have given me pause for thought.

Reactions: Wardo and mawmow
1 - 17 of 17 Posts