The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Big fan here .
Never saw TYA but did see Alvin in the early 80s,up close,stage front.
Mick Taylor was special guest with Alvin's band .

He was the opening act for Black Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour ,an odd pairing o_O

·
Premium Member
10,933 Posts
Yes, he was the whole package, singer, songwriter, guitarist, frontman.

Religion is a favourite of mine. Just had another listen.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
RIP Alvin

I still remember being completely blown away the first time ( well...actually every time!! ) I saw this

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
RIP Alvin

I still remember being completely blown away the first time ( well...actually every time!! ) I saw this

By helicopter

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
yeah...to this day, I have never heard the original!!

was it "Helikopter"?

youtube isn't bringing up any hits for either spelling

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
it just hit me....he is referencing Vietnam

all these years, I thought "I'm going home" was a cover song, originally written by some Scandinavian band

·
Registered
23 Posts
His passion was glorious. A Ten Year’s After concert I saw in the early 70’s was easily in my top five concerts ever.
Kerry I was probably at the same concert! Alvin killed it. March 8th 1970 Gardens Auditorium. Leo Lyons absolutely helped to shape my impression of rock bass. Seeds of Time were the back up. I was 15 and had played bass a whole year in '70. 'Going Home' blew the roof off. Bought a new Precision in high school '72 (thanks Leo L). Good times!

Kerry I graduated from Carson Graham '73. You a North Van guy?

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Kerry I was probably at the same concert! Alvin killed it. March 8th 1970 Gardens Auditorium. Leo Lyons absolutely helped to shape my impression of rock bass. Seeds of Time were the back up. I was 15 and had played bass a whole year in '70. 'Going Home' blew the roof off. Bought a new Precision in high school '72 (thanks Leo L). Good times!

Kerry I graduated from Carson Graham '73. You a North Van guy?
Lived in Deep Cove until I was eight then we moved to Squamish. Graduated from Howe Sound Secondary in 1972.

I saw some great bands in the Gardens - Canned Heat, John Lee Hooker, the Police, the Specials, Taj Mahal, Willie Dixon, and more that I can’t remember. Were you at a concert where an ice cream vendor went nuts on the floor. He started giving away ice cream for tokes or shots. Half way through the concert, I think it was John Lee Hooker, he started throwing ice cream bars up into the seats and then he took off most of his clothes and danced like a maniac. Wild times back then. You got high just walking into the place. Back then if they caught you with booze at the door they held it and you could get it back at the end of the the concert. They didn’t seem to care that I was only 17 at the time. You could also just wander backstage after the concert, no security at all.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
it just hit me....he is referencing Vietnam

all these years, I thought "I'm going home" was a cover song, originally written by some Scandinavian band
I always took the helicopter reference to be something else.
Due to the roads being clogged getting in there some bands were delayed--and they flew some of them in & out by...

(you guessed it)

Helicopter.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I always took the helicopter reference to be something else.
Due to the roads being clogged getting in there some bands were delayed--and they flew some of them in & out by...

(you guessed it)

Helicopter.
ah, I think you're right!

as he's tuning before the song, he looks up, and you can hear a helicopter overhead

previously I thought he was just listening to his gtr

I guess there would have been heli's flying in & out of woodstock all during the event....which would have been quite loud

1 - 14 of 14 Posts