The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Makes me laugh that every thread on the Blues Junior is filled with awe as how good an amp it is. But it is also filled with as many post, if not more, about how there's always something that needs to be modified for it to sound good.

Not what I'd call a good amp. A good kit maybe ...
[/QUOT
What are you not getting out of your DR that you’re trying to find elsewhere? I picked up a PRRI (65) as a smaller alternative to my late 60s 40-watt Fenders. I just find it feels weak compared to what I’m used to. I’ve modded it so it’s working as good as it can. Sounds way better through a 1x12 cab and I play it clean, so basically I’m better off with a DR or my big Bandmaster Reverb through a 1x12 cab.

Now, I did pick up a 15 watt Dr Z and it gave me something totally different that complements my Fenders really well.

But if you really want a PRRI, I’ll be moving mine along, but I don’t see how it would really help someone who already has a DR.
Build yourself a 5E3 clone.
I guarantee it won't sound like there's a blanket over the amp.
I might well do that. There's a local builder, Jeremy Spencley, who makes, from what I've heard, some great 5e3s.

·
Registered
920 Posts
@BGood, which do you like better between the ycv20 and the rebel 30?
I traded the YCV20 for the Rebel. No dice, the Rebel wins all the way. The Traynor gain structure is way too fuzz oriented for me. I tried everything to tame it, didn't work.

The Rebel is a Swiss knife of tone. The clean channel is to die for. The gain channel you can shape indefinitively. Too loud ? Not really, just don't crank it, the tone is all there. It is very good in the Billy Gibbons tonal palette, which covers a lot.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I notice that the Blues Junior is fixed-bias. You could try cathode-bias on the output tubes...a common resistor with no bypassing and then try with a low value by-pass cap...you may like the tone, especially when you are pushing the output tubes.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Blues Junior seems to be the Honda Civic of guitar amps. Makes guitar sounds, great resale value, lots of aftermarket accessories. Makes me wonder if anyone buys them because they like the sound? (Disclaimer - I've never played one)

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Blues Junior seems to be the Honda Civic of guitar amps. Makes guitar sounds, great resale value, lots of aftermarket accessories. Makes me wonder if anyone buys them because they like the sound? (Disclaimer - I've never played one)
I find them to be a reliable, small stature, reasonable volume pedal platform.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live near where BillM lived (RIP, Bill). He was nice enough to let me drive over and A/B my stock tweed blues Junior to two of his fully modded units. One of them was 15w and the other was 30w

There was a definite difference between these units and my stock. I chose the 30w because I love clean tones and the extra headroom. What was a nice beater amp became a barebones boutique. Here are the mods I had done:

Basic mods, cream board
Presence control
Clean Boost
Audio-taper reverb control
Audio-taper master volume
Switchcraft input jack
Standby/Power switch
Line out jack
Cathode follower mod
Jewel pilot lens/LED conversion
Heyboer TO26 (includes aux)
TP24 power transformer
Octal conversion
JJ 6L6GC, burned in, matched
Bias Board
Footswitch pedal with LEDs

I love this amp. The combo of the original used price plus the mods put it at $900..,but that’s less than a DRRI, which, though a different amp, is no better.

Both Egnators, the Traynor, and Princeton (are you looking mainly for clean tones?) are great alternatives. I have another that might surprise:

The Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 with the 8” speaker is a wonderful amp. Not cheap...especially when you add the full size foot switch. But it covers a LOT of bases very well, sounds great at any volume, and weighs 19lbs. I bought mine knowing I could return it and...well...: I didn’t. 😊

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
In case I missed it, what exactly are you wanting in another amp?
AS I said in my first post, one that doesn't sound like it has a blanket covering it, one that has some depth. The BJ was pleasing at first but the more I played it the less I liked it.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
In case I missed it, what exactly are you wanting in another amp?
Like anyone, a sound that pleases me, not one that makes me sigh when I turn it on. As I said initially, the BJ sounds dull at most times, unless cranked. I liked it at first.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
AS I said in my first post, one that doesn't sound like it has a blanket covering it, one that has some depth. The BJ was pleasing at first but the more I played it the less I liked it.
I see. My question was regarding what specific sound or style do you want, as in Tweed Fender, Blackface Fender, Vox, non master volume Marshall, master volume Marshall, Boogie, etc. I'm not a fan of the Blues Jr myself.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I see. My question was regarding what specific sound or style do you want, as in Tweed Fender, Blackface Fender, Vox, non master volume Marshall, master volume Marshall, Boogie, etc. I'm not a fan of the Blues Jr myself.
I love the Fender sound so I was looking for a variation on that theme, which the BJ is, or something else that has some mojo, something good for bluesy rock. I'm thinking at less than $1k, I have to adjust my expectations. Since posting I tried a PRRI with a 12" Cannabis Rex. Nice, but not very balanced...the bottom end is too big for my tastes, and this amp lists for $500 more than the BJ. I'm thinking of going for a 5e3 as a contrast to my DR.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
I love the Fender sound so I was looking for a variation on that theme, which the BJ is, or something else that has some mojo, something good for bluesy rock. I'm thinking at less than $1k, I have to adjust my expectations. Since posting I tried a PRRI with a 12" Cannabis Rex. Nice, but not very balanced...the bottom end is too big for my tastes, and this amp lists for $500 more than the BJ. I'm thinking of going for a 5e3 as a contrast to my DR.
Within the realm of Fender, there's a lot of different eras and sounds. A Tweed Deluxe or 5e3 will sound nicer than the Blues Jr for sure, but it will still have a bit of a boxey sound at low volumes, because it is more of a compressed sound (I have a lof of experience with vintage Fenders). You might be best to just stick with the Deluxe Reverb for now and really try a lot of amps with no rush to buy in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Within the realm of Fender, there's a lot of different eras and sounds. A Tweed Deluxe or 5e3 will sound nicer than the Blues Jr for sure, but it will still have a bit of a boxey sound at low volumes, because it is more of a compressed sound (I have a lof of experience with vintage Fenders). You might be best to just stick with the Deluxe Reverb for now and really try a lot of amps with no rush to buy in the meantime.
Thanks for the advice. There's a used 57 Custom Deluxe at the local L&M that I may go for. Like new and $1K below list. It has a pretty nice clean at low volumes. Killer cranked. Very balanced, and lighter than a Blues Junior and none of the grating high end. What's your take on it?

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Thanks for the advice. There's a used 57 Custom Deluxe at the local L&M that I may go for. Like new and $1K below list. It has a pretty nice clean at low volumes. Killer cranked. Very balanced, and lighter than a Blues Junior and none of the grating high end. What's your take on it?
The Tweed Deluxe and the Deluxe Reverb are two totally different animals. For Tweed Deluxe sounds, think the Eagles more distorted sounds in the 70's, or Neil Young Rest never sleeps. The Deluxe Reverb is much more open and airy sounding, but you already know that. I haven't tried the 57 Custom Deluxe, but I've owned or played a lot of original Tweed Fenders which are very different from the Blackface and Silverface Fenders. If you can, try out the 57 and see what you think, but I don't think it's what you're wanting.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts