The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tweed Blues Junior a few months ago, and have tried to love it but keep on coming back to the fact that it's not that good an amp. I have a SFDR to compare it with and it's nowhere near that in sound quality. I hadn't played it for a few weeks and today turned it on and it sounded like a blanket was covering it, muffled and lacking in dynamics of any kind. At louder volume ti's ok, but at home, ugh. I put in a Cannabis Rex when I bought it and a better preamp tube. It was shrill before that. I love the Fender sound...Is there an alternative at even twice the price? Is it worth it to buy a PR?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I bought a tweed Blues Junior a few months ago, and have tried to love it but keep on coming back to the fact that it's not that good an amp. I have a SFDR to compare it with and it's nowhere near that in sound quality. I hadn't played it for a few weeks and today turned it on and it sounded like a blanket was covering it, muffled and lacking in dynamics of any kind. At louder volume ti's ok, but at home, ugh. I put in a Cannabis Rex when I bought it and a better preamp tube. It was shrill before that. I love the Fender sound...Is there an alternative at even twice the price? Is it worth it to buy a PR?
I bought a Pro Junior that had a Cannabis Rex in it. I couldn’t stand it. I had the same problem. It was like a blanket was over it. I put in a Jensen and loved it. I would try a different speaker.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a Pro Junior that had a Cannabis Rex in it. I couldn’t stand it. I had the same problem. It was like a blanket was over it. I put in a Jensen and loved it. I would try a different speaker.
Thanks. The BJ came with a Jensen and it was shrill. Lots of people like the Cannabis Rex. I'll see what else is out there.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Is that Jensen a P12R? If so it's Alnico, low Watt (15W), and will not take dirt well at all. I switched mine with a 90's G12T75 and it made a big difference for my style. RE: Alternative, I can't say much about that other than I took mine into a local Amp guy and he did some Mods that completely and effectively changed the BJ into a pretty nice amp that sounds entirely different than the original. If you haven't yet, check out BillM's BJ mods online. Mine are C4 mods but similar to BillM's.... a few different specs and brands involved.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Is that Jensen a P12R? If so it's Alnico, low Watt (15W), and will not take dirt well at all. I switched mine with a 90's G12T75 and it made a big difference for my style. RE: Alternative, I can't say much about that other than I took mine into a local Amp guy and he did some Mods that completely and effectively changed the BJ into a pretty nice amp that sounds entirely different than the original. If you haven't yet, check out BillM's BJ mods online. Mine are C4 mods but similar to BillM's.... a few different specs and brands involved.
I got C4 to mod mine too and completely different amp after. Also mine came with a v30 which sounded like crap pre mod, amazing post mod and I tried like 10
Different speakers as well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is it worth it to buy a PR
You could modify your SFDR to sound similar to a PR...study the schematics and data sheets for both models and determine the changes that have the greatest change towards a PR...implement each mod, one at a time, then test the tone, allowing plenty of warm-up time for the power tubes. It may appear time consuming but it is the most accurate method...your ears are your prime discriminator.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love my DR...I was thinking of trading the BJ for a PR. I'll look into getting the BillM mods done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What are you not getting out of your DR that you’re trying to find elsewhere? I picked up a PRRI (65) as a smaller alternative to my late 60s 40-watt Fenders. I just find it feels weak compared to what I’m used to. I’ve modded it so it’s working as good as it can. Sounds way better through a 1x12 cab and I play it clean, so basically I’m better off with a DR or my big Bandmaster Reverb through a 1x12 cab.

Now, I did pick up a 15 watt Dr Z and it gave me something totally different that complements my Fenders really well.

But if you really want a PRRI, I’ll be moving mine along, but I don’t see how it would really help someone who already has a DR.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts