·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have one.
They are not very user friendly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I haven't tried one but a downside comes to mind. A lot of alternate tunings call for lowering notes to a point below standard tuning(dropped "D" for one). I haven't watched the videos but the acoustic guitar pictured with 2 of them installed might be addressing this. I prefer to just use the tuning keys with a good clip on, chromatic tuner. Like anything, I can see some people making good use of these though.

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
Couldn't find my other ones, but here are the ones I've used the most. The larger one will capo strings 2/3/4 or 3/4/5, depending on which side of the neck it goes on. Generally used for virtual DADGAD and virtual open A. The smaller one is a cut down mandolin capo used for guitar virtual open E minor. Virtual because the tuning only really applies to open position fingerings and drones. I also have a couple of Shubbs cut down for virtual drop E, one for a radiused fretboard, the other for the flat classical fretboard.

Fwiw, the idea has been around for decades, I've been using them on and off for at least 25 years anyway, and I've met folks who had them before me. I initially thought I'd invented them but discovered it had already been done.

I find limited use for them, but fun regardless.
IMG_0407.jpg

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried one but a downside comes to mind. A lot of alternate tunings call for lowering notes to a point below standard tuning(dropped "D" for one). I haven't watched the videos but the acoustic guitar pictured with 2 of them installed might be addressing this. I prefer to just use the tuning keys with a good clip on, chromatic tuner. Like anything, I can see some people making good use of these though.
Watch the second video. You might find Steve's comments interesting about the tuning keys.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Watch the second video. You might find Steve's comments interesting about the tuning keys.
I just watched it, one thing I didn't expect was that because the guitar is still in standard tuning, playing a barre chord brings you back to standard tuning. This also means that scale patterns for solos would still be accessible as well as long as you only played fretted notes(and any strings strings were still playing open from the nut). I didn't hear him say anything about tuning keys though.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just watched it, one thing I didn't expect was that because the guitar is still in standard tuning, playing a barre chord brings you back to standard tuning. This also means that scale patterns for solos would still be accessible as well as long as you only played fretted notes(and any strings strings were still playing open from the nut). I didn't hear him say anything about tuning keys though.
Maybe I got the wrong video. What was mentioned by one of the reviewers was that they found it easier using this capo than turning the tuning keys while playing to get different notes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts