The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I enjoy music documentaries and watch as many as I can find. It has almost become an additional hobby of mine.

This documentary is about one hour long and very interesting (IMHO)
Prior to this, I knew virtually nothing about Allen Toussaint and I'm so embarrassed.

Doc starts at ~0:57

Enjoy

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
I've loved NOLA music for decades. My copies of the Meters Fire on the Bayou, the Wild Tchoupitoulas, the Wild Magnolias, and Lee Dorsey's Greatist Hits are nearly worn out. Bought my kid a book sheet music of Professor Longhair tunes in the hopes he'd get converted. I persuaded my old band to do Holy Cow and High Blood Pressure, though sadly we never made it as far as Iko Iko. And Toussaint was there, somewhere, for just about all of it. Whenever a brouhaha breaks out here about the R&R HOF, I regularly mention producer and studio owner Cosimo Matassa (who was inducted many years back). Between Matassa, Toussaint, 'Fess, and the older Nevilles, they pretty much ARE the brunt of New Orleans music (though one has to add Dave Bartholemew, Huey "Piano" Smith, and Mac Rebennack).

I visited the Big Easy in 2000, for a conference. And while I was largely prevented from doing very much because I was on my way to a triple bypass, I did manage to make it out to a free outdoor concert by her ladyship Irma Thomas, and even ran into her afterwards.

So yeah, familiarize yourself with Toussaint's work and you'll be in touch with a LOT of other artists and music.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
I'll have to check it out later--but I enjoy well made documentaries on music

1 - 7 of 7 Posts