The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else find this happening to them ? For many years I played a tele then I moved on to a strat. Now years later I find myself moved over to 335's and LP's . The LP especially, for years I ignored them and prefered my strat.
I still have the tele and the strat, just find when I go out playin' it's either the 335 style or Lp that I tend to take. I now have the tele and strat, both fenders, a Sheraton II for the 335 style and a Tokai love rock for the LP style. I figured gas would be pretty much dealt with until I picked up the new Gretch catalogue..... oh I feel the pain starting.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yup, I've had a Tele since 77 or 78.

I still have it and play it, but I play my Gold Top more.

I got rid of a 345 about 7 or 8 years ago. It felt to big for me. It sounded nice looked pretty, neede some fret work and a neck reset. I got enough money to get a Guild Blues Bird and an old Ampeg Reverbrocket.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm starting to like my prs more than my strat, it's probaly the humbuckers and the slinkier feel of the stoptail....gassing for an LP Drool

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't had GAS for a PRS yet (still to come), I think I'd like to add a Gretch someday, just figuring out which one ???? I still play the tele a lot but only at home. It is my sentimental guitar a 67, the first real guitar when I was starting out. The strat gets out occasionally but not as often as it use to. For the playing I'm doing now the Love Rock suits the bill to a T. Also the difference between the LP feel and Strat feel is a nice change. The Lp feels a little faster to me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I played Fenders for years, but have since switched to playing my SG for the most part. The main thing was just simply affording a Gibson. There was no way I could afford one until I started making big boy money. Sad, but true. And to be honest, I'm not sure they're worth the money Gibson charges for them. But that's what they cost and that's what you have to pay to play them.

The only "Fender" I own now is my Nash Strat, which I love. Oh yeah, and my neverending project Mustang, which I think I'm going to sell soon because I'll never play it.

·
Administrator
16,448 Posts
PaulS said:
Haven't had GAS for a PRS yet (still to come), I think I'd like to add a Gretch someday, just figuring out which one ???? I still play the tele a lot but only at home. It is my sentimental guitar a 67, the first real guitar when I was starting out. The strat gets out occasionally but not as often as it use to. For the playing I'm doing now the Love Rock suits the bill to a T. Also the difference between the LP feel and Strat feel is a nice change. The Lp feels a little faster to me.
Pleased to hear you're bonding with that Tokai Paul.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
PaulS said:
Anybody else find this happening to them ? For many years I played a tele then I moved on to a strat. Now years later I find myself moved over to 335's and LP's . The LP especially, for years I ignored them and prefered my strat.
I still have the tele and the strat, just find when I go out playin' it's either the 335 style or Lp that I tend to take. I now have the tele and strat, both fenders, a Sheraton II for the 335 style and a Tokai love rock for the LP style. I figured gas would be pretty much dealt with until I picked up the new Gretch catalogue..... oh I feel the pain starting.....
I can understand where you are coming from Paul. I have made the rounds as well. To the point I found myself without a single coil anywhere in the house. Getting back into it again. I guess you can get into phases.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I tend to jump all over the place. For years I only played humbuckers guitars, then only Teles. Right now I seem to be pretty happy with my Reverend though. They cover a ton of ground for a single guitar.

·
Administrator
16,448 Posts
PaulS said:
It's not hard.... :D
I'm of the opinion that my friend Wolfe makes some of the best pickups on the market. I put a pair of his 'buckers in the guitar that Mark (Lowtones) made me and they are really really nice. The P90's in that Tokai GT are just killer also. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea a strat is a nice thing to touch base with every so often but then so is a tele...

·
Registered
5 Posts
PaulS said:
same here. Had a custom shop strat and a japanese. Played them for years until I played my first Gibson.... then bought another... then ditched the strats all together....

I do want another one now, but certainly not at the expense of my Gibsons!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also started out with Fender's,first a mustang,then a sweet little Tele and a few jap Strats and finally and srv Strat.Then X-mas '87 everything changed.My friend's father bought him a '84 LP.The giant weight and coolness factor changed everything!I sold all of my gear and went out and bought a SG.But to be honest I am a little obsesive compulsive,I will only drink one kind of beer(pilsner) and only(for the most part)play one brand of guitar(Gibson).Although the is no dought that Fender put's out many high end guitars,it's the personality factor that keeps me with Gibson.I just cant get attached to a fender like I can a Gibson,I know it's weird but that's what floats my boat!
Oh ya, and chick's dig Gibson's,as a good friend once put it"Gibson's make musical panty remover"

·
Premium Member
16,811 Posts
Actually I've know more players to go the exact opposite route.

Many young players love the power and grind of humbuckers but move to single coils as their playing and tastes mature.

Personally I have both, but these days I favour the Hum - Sing - Hum super strat design with coil taps on the humbuckers (best of both worlds).

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I started off playing Tele's when I was in my late teens before switching totally to acoustic in my early 20's and then hung up the guitar for about 15 years. When I picked it up again, it was the Tele I went to. I now have several Tele's which I really enjoy playing. I don't know how to explain it but they are just fun to play. I also picked up over the last 10 years, an ES335 and a LP Standard and I enjoy playing those too, but I usually only play those when I want to get seroius about the music I'm playing. I also have a Robert Cray hardtail Strat and a G & L Legacy which mostly collect dust. I bought them to see if I was missing something without have a Strat in my arsenal, but in truth I rarely use them...5 minutes after picking them up I've usually switched back to my Telecaster.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I'm at home the tele is the only thing I get out, don't like to take it out playing , just my at home guitar. I think the main reason I don't like to take it out any more is the age.... 40 years old come 2007.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts