The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post on this fine forum. I'm all excited as I just ordered my first ever bass: an SX (Essex) SPJ from Rondo. This one.

I'm a long, long time guitar player and I've recently gotten into doing some home recording. I've been using my cheap Casio keyboard for basslines, but it hasnt been getting the job done. I've spent some time looking at various basses, and the SX basses seem to get lots of praise on here and other forums, so I decided to take a chance. The bass player in our band advised me to get something with the Precision/Jazz pickup combination for the added versatility.

The other good thing about this whole bass interest is that I'm listening a lot more closely to the bass line on everything now. Before I was much more interested in the guitar, but now I'm listening to the low end too! Right now I have OK Computer playing in my headphones and I'm really focusing on the bass - great stuff!

Anyway, I'll post again when I get my bass and what my impressions are. Just wanted to share my excitement. :banana:

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
My first post on this fine forum. I'm all excited as I just ordered my first ever bass: an SX (Essex) SPJ from Rondo. This one.

I'm a long, long time guitar player and I've recently gotten into doing some home recording. I've been using my cheap Casio keyboard for basslines, but it hasnt been getting the job done. I've spent some time looking at various basses, and the SX basses seem to get lots of praise on here and other forums, so I decided to take a chance. The bass player in our band advised me to get something with the Precision/Jazz pickup combination for the added versatility.

The other good thing about this whole bass interest is that I'm listening a lot more closely to the bass line on everything now. Before I was much more interested in the guitar, but now I'm listening to the low end too! Right now I have OK Computer playing in my headphones and I'm really focusing on the bass - great stuff!

Anyway, I'll post again when I get my bass and what my impressions are. Just wanted to share my excitement. :banana:
I had one of the SX Shortscale Jazz Basses. It was a great little bass. I have owned a MIM Fender Jazz Bass and IMO it was close to, or on par with it quality wise.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Right on. Welcome to the Low end. No turning back now.

I really like that bass. I was looking at that myself. I've had 4 SX basses in the last year, and have settled on the 2 I've got now. If I get another, it will be like yours.

Couple of easy mods if you're so inclined, will make that bass nicer than a MIM Fender IMO. Totally adequate basses out of the box though. It will be in dire need of a set-up though when you first get it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum. I've gotten allot of mileage from my SX, more than I ever expected. Still enjoying it. Mine is stock except for strings and a bit of tweaking here and there.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got my bass guitar from Rondo. On first impressions, everything was fine and the bass worked really well, especially considering what I paid for it. It was a couple of days before I noticed something not right: there was a V shaped crack on the back of the headstock! I contacted Kurt and he was very cool about the whole thing. Said that if indeed it was a structural crack to send it back. I sent it back and he received it yesterday. I got the Fedex notice today that my bass is already on its way to me, and I'll receive it next week. Hopefully this one will be 100%. One thing I noticed is that they go very light on the packaging of these - the guitar is wrapped in a couple of plastic bags, and then in a cardboard box with some styrofoam packaging. I'm surprised that they dont get more returns due to damage.

Anyway, I did take a couple of pictures before I sent it back. You can see that the guitar is very nice. The last pic is a closeup of the crack, but its very difficult to see. It looks like a V shaped woodgrain pattern, pointing towards the body. Thats actually the crack.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This bass sells for $119.00 CDN? ... and they sound good for that price?

Never heard of this brand of bass before I started to read this forum. To sell an instrument for that price they have to cheap out somewhere.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a bit more than $119 Cdn. Thats the price in US dollars, before shipping, brokerage fee. etc. I think my total ended up being $212 Cdn. That still pretty cheap for a useable bass guitar. They are Made in China, which is why they cost less. Also, dont be fooled into thinking that its going to feel like a top notch bass: our bass player plays a US made Ernie Ball Musicman bass. When I play my bass back to back with his bass there is no comparison. You can really feel the difference. But, if you're looking for a workable bass (which I'm sure will play way better after a setup and a fret dressing) this one should be fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bad Packing

Boy I am glad I read your post!:bow:
I have been eyeing up a few different Rondo guitars but after reading that it wasn't double boxed I think I will stay away
I have bought 6 different bass and guitars from CDN and US dealers including one from a Ebayer and they were all double boxed and well packed as they should be.
I am really surprised at Rondo for shipping them in a single box :mad::mad:and really disapointed too as the hassle of shipping it back to the US isn't worth it to me.
Damn shame too as they just lost a potential customer:mad:
Sorry you had to deal with that problem,Rondo should know better!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the bass Bagpipe!

I think that was a good choice. I bought the SX BG205 Ash maybe a year ago to use as a gigging bass and have been quite pleased with it. Looks good, feels good (I especially like the neck), stays in tune, is quiet and and it just "plays well" for me and it cost virtually nothing. A bit of tweaking of the truss rod and I gigged mine the day after I got it and, I think, every gig since.

The SX guitars are not a top-of-the-line instruments and that is pretty much why I bought one - it's a player but I won't be emotionally scarred for life when the inevitable drunk knocks it over between sets or some a$$hat steals it.

Although .. I am planning on making it a winter project ... maybe a new bridge ... pots ... pu's ... tuners ... nut ... TI Jazz Flats ... Crap - I will be emotionally scarred when the inevitable drunk kicks it over. Oh well, then I'll just have to get another one and start over :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am really surprised at Rondo for shipping them in a single box :mad:and really disapointed too as the hassle of shipping it back to the US isn't worth it to me.
Damn shame too as they just lost a potential customer:mad:
Sorry you had to deal with that problem,Rondo should know better!!!
I have bought a few things from Rondo and have found them to be very cooperative. Don't assume that they won't upgrade the packaging if you contact them and specify what you want (I expect they would charge a nominal fee for this). I only bought one guitar from them, and it did come single boxed FedEx but it was fine when I received it.

James on Bass may have some input - he seems to buy dozens of basses annualy from Rondo :wink: and I don't remember any posts about shipping damage (but I am 40 so I forget things :D)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've bought 5 basses from Rondo in the last year or so and nary a problem. All received in fine order. I did have a minor problem with an order (not the bass) and Kurt is a stand-up guy!
A few little upgrades if you are so inclined, and these basses make for excellenet gigging workhorses!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discrepancies

I have bought a few things from Rondo and have found them to be very cooperative. Don't assume that they won't upgrade the packaging if you contact them and specify what you want (I expect they would charge a nominal fee for this). I only bought one guitar from them, and it did come single boxed FedEx but it was fine when I received it.

James on Bass may have some input - he seems to buy dozens of basses annualy from Rondo :wink: and I don't remember any posts about shipping damage (but I am 40 so I forget things :D)

Thanks for the reply.
I read a little closer on his site and he states at the bottom of some of the pages that guitars are double boxed,strange that Bagpipes wasn't double boxed.
It seems weird that some guitars say they are double boxed such as Tele SX STL 62BSB while others aren't noted as such:eek:
Well my interest is back but I think I will talk directly to Kurt as per your suggestion..............thanks for the advice!:rockon:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've bought 5 basses from Rondo in the last year or so and nary a problem. All received in fine order. I did have a minor problem with an order (not the bass) and Kurt is a stand-up guy!
A few little upgrades if you are so inclined, and these basses make for excellenet gigging workhorses!
What upgrades did you make? I have the vintage white spj and I was thinking of replacing the split p pickup (or maybe both the p and j ones), possibly the bridge and the tuners. Any suggestions for what I should replace these with that won't cost more than the bass did?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
What upgrades did you make? I have the vintage white spj and I was thinking of replacing the split p pickup (or maybe both the p and j ones), possibly the bridge and the tuners. Any suggestions for what I should replace these with that won't cost more than the bass did?

I was using a heavy bridge on my basses that was basically a Gotoh knockoff. I've since found a very cheap bridge from Choppers Music's ebay store. It was about $20 and is very similar to the stock bridge (and all stock Fender bridges for that matter) but it has a lot more mass to it. I really like it. If you can solder, swap out the pots with CTS 250K's and .044 cap. I've generally found that's all the SX basses really need. I have swapped out the pup twice on my P bass, and I'm going to switch back to the Kent Armstrong Vintage P. My jazz bass is stock pups with new guts, bridge, gaurd and nut. I've never touched the tuners on my basses, other than a small dab of vasoline on the gears when I change strings.

IMO...

Change the pots & cap first. That may be all you want to change.
New bridge next.
Then, pickups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts