The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Much too far away to have felt it, but yeah, I heard it was unusually powerful for that part of the country. If it's not a regular part of your experience (e.g., if one lived in California), they can be downright creepy. I was in the hallway, talking to one of our vice-presidents, when there was a 5.2 quake just north of Ottawa, a dozen or so years back. The light fixtures in the hallway started shaking, and people started yelling "Get out of the building!". We were on the 19th floor, so it was kind of difficult to exit quickly. There ended up being a number of cracked windows, though I have no idea about any structural damage.

Hope all, and whatever they live or work in, are safe.

· Registered
2006 Custom Christopher Reesor Classical
503 Posts
26 km east of Reno Alberta according to Google earth there are these enterprises on land which is not farmed for some reason or other. Fortunately the quake mostly likely just spoilt some milk and scared some livestock in the area. The unusual one we had here in BC centered around Williston Lake back in the 1980's was about the same in shake rattle an roll it made an indoor swimming pool built on soft gravel and sand in Prince George splash over with waves. Damming rivers can do the same thing as heavy fracking of shale rocks if the water table is effected seriously by the activity then like greasin' the pig things can get awfully slippery over large areas down in the netherworld where we find most of our oil and gas. Collapse of pocket of oil that have already been extracted could do the same thing but in a more vertical fashion as has happened in Wales and elsewhere on the planet when huge coal mines have gone thump. It is the price we are paying for progress if we are actually getting anywhere these days as a species.
Ecoregion Map Terrestrial plant Screenshot Font

Ecoregion Natural environment Organism Vegetation Grass

· Premium Member
6,870 Posts
well, there are hot springs all through the Alberta/BC mountains, and you can't have hot springs without some sort of geological activity . Also, most of BC was added onto north America fairly recently. (along with the whole west coast) Recently as is 200 million years......last week in terms of how old the earth is. Still some movements/settling there by the sounds of it. (y)

· Premium Member
6,870 Posts
I stand humbly corrected!
never.
My comments were based on thinking the quake center was Grand Cashe, which is right next to the Rockies. I see on the second post from Keto that the center was more Peace River/Grand Prairie area, which is where they have done a lot of fracking. It is very unusual for a quake to happen where it did. That should be rock solid and very old north American land. Beach front, before we cashed into BC. I agree that somehow fracking caused this or played a part in it.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I was thinking back to the early 90’s and believe we had a tremor when I lived in either Edmonton or Ft. Sask? I may be wrong, we also lived in Prince George around then as well. I remember the dining room light swinging when we were eating diner.

· Premium Member
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Fox Creek is big time oil country, and furthest off the Rockies, where you would expect more seismic activity I think, but if that were the only criteria, we’d have a lot more in the east…ie., Lloydminster-Vermillion area is high intensity oil country.

· Premium Member
2,419 Posts
They are occurring more frequently as time progresses:

View attachment 451818
Ooh I was watching about his and also concerning hurricanes and other events.

The guy said the issue with these stats, and provided evidence to back it up, is if you go back to the stats from earlier eras or whenever far you can and compare different era’s will find similar numbers to the 06-18 at times with lulls in between.
But they always like to show the two making like it’s a huuuge increase only now.

I felt one once in 2004 when I lived and worked by Grande Prairie, was drunk sleeping and woke up thought my wife was shaking the bed to wake me up but she wasn’t there but the bed was moving alot. I didn’t want to say anything at the time cause I thought I was trippin’

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Much too far away to have felt it, but yeah, I heard it was unusually powerful for that part of the country. If it's not a regular part of your experience (e.g., if one lived in California), they can be downright creepy. I was in the hallway, talking to one of our vice-presidents, when there was a 5.2 quake just north of Ottawa, a dozen or so years back. The light fixtures in the hallway started shaking, and people started yelling "Get out of the building!". We were on the 19th floor, so it was kind of difficult to exit quickly. There ended up being a number of cracked windows, though I have no idea about any structural damage.

Hope all, and whatever they live or work in, are safe.
Yeah, I remember that one. I was at my sister's place in Toronto, and felt it pretty strongly. My sister was standing 10' away from me and didn't feel it, or believe me when I told her about it. Then we turned on CP24 and it was being reported.

· Premium Member
6,870 Posts
They are occurring more frequently as time progresses:

View attachment 451818
Very interesting. I've never seen that map before.
So with the orange dots being quakes less than 4 miles down, and them situated in areas of heavy oil/gas fracking.....I'll go out on a limb and call them man made.
But the blue dots, those look like legit quakes, produced by movements of land masses on the planet we live on. It's alive. We haven't been here long enough to realize just how alive it really is.
I'm told the state of Washington is rotating clockwise an inch or two per year, and that's pushing hard on the Rocky Mountains. Something's gotta give.

· Premium Member
13,493 Posts
I know a couple of people who live near UofA who felt it. They were 10 or so floors up in their apartments. I'm under 2km from them and I felt nothing - but I am in a ground level unit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts