The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly Vancouver guitarist Al Wiebe passed in his sleep March 6th 2018.

Al was a life long full time professional guitarist, '60s hippy, and a gentle guy. His playing was influenced by Wes Montgomery and Lenny Breau.

Man, Al could play. During the '60s Al played with Painted Ship & Hydroelectric Streetcar. Al played on many tv shows including The Irish Rovers, Banjo Parlour and It's a Musical World. He was the house guitarist for the Hotel Vancouver during the '80s while I was the bassist during that time. We would play all kinds of gigs, from a 7:30 in the morning trio to a 28 piece big band that night. Al could read, play perfect 'finger style' and improvise.

I played a gig with Al for the White Rock Jazz Society a couple of months ago and guitarist Oliver Gannon (Order of Canada) came to see him and sit in.

The last gig I played with Al was five days before he passed. He played beautifully.

Image — Postimage.org

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Was not aware of him, but he sounds like someone I would have been glad to know, and to see and hear perform. You have to have nothing but deep respect for someone so committed to their craft throughout their whole working life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts