The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm still laughing about time he claimed to have invented the Internet! :D

...for the record, al gore never claimed to have invented the internet.

but, i'm all for ganging up on and publicly ridiculing any individual or group that cares about the planet, and people, and peace (what a stupid concept THAT is!). what are they thinking?

i would much rather lend my support to warmongers, greedy "i've got mine, jack, sucks to be you" capitalists, divisive conservatives and other "realists".

:banana:

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...the best possible solution is to ignore the real issues in favour of name calling, finger pointing, public humiliation and ridicule, personal insults and anything else that will divide people into as many opposing factions as possible.

labelling global warming as a left wing conspiracy is a good start.

here in toronto we have am640 talk radio leading the way on all fronts.

:sport-smiley-002:

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
:smile:
Sadly David, AM640 is just following the trend. You should hear what I've been called on other boards for being a "denier"!
That's why whenever someone resorts to name calling instead of real debate I just bail. One fellow wrote a long thread about how the most important trait in the debate about global warming was "passion". He seemed to be claiming that because he and his crowd cared so passionately about saving the planet that folks like me should automatically believe anything he says.
I had a girlfriend years ago who passionately loved disco but I just couldn't accept it as the epitome of guitar technique...:eek:
Anyhow, I've come to believe that as a society we are just too dumb to handle such debate in a logical, civilized manner. There are a lot of exceptions of course but the general baseline seems pretty low. We "educate" by instilling lots of data but we don't seem to be teaching the critical thinking skills necessary to make the right choices.
I guess I'm referring to "wisdom". Talk radio is full of negative examples of what passes for judgement these days. Ever listen to Andy Barry on the CBC? Nice guy but if he was in charge of something like designing a bridge I would never let my family walk across it! Like many in the media he seems to feel that because he's articulate he can give an opinion on scientific things like global warming, without seeming to have any sort of scientific background at all. Perhaps I'm misjudging him but I've listened to him a lot over the years and he doesn't sound to me like he could change a plug on a lamp!
Could probably pick a nice colour for that lamp, 'though.
AM640 is not my usual station but perhaps you can tell me if they use an old scam I've heard many times on the CBC. You set up a panel to discuss some politically correct issue. You make sure the guys on the politically correct side are all very articulate. You then find some opposing voices who might have equally good credentials but have irritating voices and mannerisms and often outright snarky personalities. The average viewer or listener can't help but come away accepting the PC side. The opposition might have better facts but they are presented by "ugly" folks!
All this is just entertainment, until it begins to affect taxes and prices. I'd like to clean up and save the planet as much as the next guy but when it takes money I'd rather spend on my kids (and see spent on other folk's kids!) I want to be damn sure it's money wisely spent!
...i don't really have an opinion on global warming, simply because i am not a scientist.

if the scientific community claims global warming is real, i tend to believe them. they do, after all, study this stuff. scientifically.

what is mystifying is the fact that global warming has become a political issue. conservatives appear to be extremely upset that the left has attached themselves to the issue. thus, with their stereotypical "if it comes from the left it is therefore by definition bogus" attitude, we hear logic-defying proclamations like "global warming is a liberal conspiracy". credibility? :wave:

the whole "i'm not buying the whole global warming thing simply because i don't like al gore" is just mind-numbingly transparent.

but i know what you mean by the "old scam". am640, which has successfully introduced american style conservative hate radio to toronto (i like to think they are providing a community service :smile:) uses this tactic relentlessly: find a far left lib who is completely whacko, bring them on the show and go: see? this is what libs are like! which is tantamount to claiming that all religious folk are accurately represented by rev fred phelps, or that all catholic priests are pedophiles.

the number one thing i look for in political discourse is logic and common sense, and am640 fails the sniff test miserably on that count but, as i say, they are probably performing a community service, intentionally or not.

back to global warming: there can be little doubt that humans have crossed a line when it comes to polluting the planet and the environment. to imagine that this is not going to have detrimental long term effects simply defies logic and common sense, not to mention that fact that much of the damage is already visible.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
We're both from a similar time, David. Do you not remember how many of the voices today were telling us in the 70's that "evil man" and his ways were going to trigger an Ice Age?

...no, not really. i believe there may have been a few doomsayers, but not anywhere near the scale of the global warming phenomenon. feel free to correct me if my memory is faulty.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
It's not so much that the left has adopted the issue as HOW they expouse it! There is often an arrogant attitude that is definitely more ad hominem than scientific. The very term "denier" sounds more righteous than scientific. You may have read one of my earlier posts where I quoted Marilyn Churley (formerly of Bob Rae's NDP cabinet) when she served on a panel on a Michael Coren show about global warming. She actually tried to hoot down anyone who disagreed with her, saying that the overwhelming majority of scientists agreed on the issue and that the debate was over.
...meaning what? that there are loudmouths and sanctimonious, self-righteous twits among the believers that global warming is a serious threat?

okay.

on the right, it is generally accepted that global warming is a liberal conspiracy. no proof or substantiation required, evidently.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
The reason talk radio tends to be anti-left is because the "right" is usually already in a state of indignation! There IS a media bias to the left! Not a conspiracy but simply the result of a bunch of guys mostly from the same background (Queens Univ or Ryerson) manning the majority of the positions of control in the media. There is a disconnect between their world view and that of much of their audience.
If you agree with such people you're not likely to get your dander up and phone a talk show! "Rightwing" guys (geez I hate these labels for people but I don't have any better) usually are unhappy with the way the society around them is operating and will pick up the phone to rant!
...take a listen to am640. intelligent discourse, logic and common sense are for pussies. its about inciting hatred. the targets are the usual ones: liberals, the poor and disadvantaged, gays, blacks (they usually refer to them as "certain ethnicities" but lately they just come right out and say "blacks")...in other words, all the rhetoric of white supremacists while maintaining a "we're not homophobic/racist, but!" political correctness.

i believe that conservative politics have much too offer, but this just makes me cling tighter to my hippie soul.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Well David, to think that AM640 is truly representative of mainstream conservative politics is as silly as thinking that all lefties are commies at heart!

...a lot of people tell me that. i really do want to believe you're right.

you hit the nail on the head, bill. i haven't bought into the far-too-common belief that the world is neatly divided up into good guys and bad guys since the last time i collected a quarter from the tooth fairy.

as for spoiling my appetite: i have developed this obsession with being "politically aware". i hope this just turns out to be a bad idea. my girlfriend keeps telling me to focus only on the positive.

but hey, what does she know? she watches oprah!

-dh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.