The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm still laughing about time he claimed to have invented the Internet! And how he got caught for running huge amounts of electricity/energy in his mansion!

They got some PR flack to hurriedly issue a claim that he had bought a few acres of rainforest to offset the carbon. Maybe he did, who can tell. Still, wouldn't it be better to buy those acres AND not waste so much electricity?

They're all the same...

:D
I had forgot about the internet thing, that is too funny. I think everyone should do their part for the environ, whether it be buying you're own chunk of the rainforest (kinda like the "I have a bridge for sale') or, like me, eating as much beef as I can to help curtail the amount of unnecessary methane being released into the atmosphere...:D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wild Bill you're not the only one who doesn't buy into everything the government is telling us. Alot of what they have put out in regards to this subject is garnish to salad, to make it appear that they are trying to change how we treat the environment. All of it just adds up to a drop in the bucket. I often wonder as well about all this electricity conservation they are pumping. Is it really about saving the enivronment from the coal burning plants or about having extra electricity to export for greater profit.

I don't beleive for a minute the we have caused global warming, we may have helped it along faster than it would have happened, but there is enough scientific proof out there to show that it has happened before and it has happened again, just like the changing of the magnetic poles.

The big push on smart cars and hybrids makes me wonder as well. The hybrids do not get any better gas mileage than alot of vehicles but they do produce less emissions (which is good), but why can't they do both? I question why the average north american pickup truck gets that same gas mileage roughly that ones from 30 years ago did, granted once again they are supposed to have less emissions but why not make them more fuel efficient too...the reason..profits. It would seem to me that a vehicle that gets more miles per gallon should also equate somewhat to less emissions as less fuel is being consumed.

Gore's movie was interesting, but I have also watched documentaries that are on the opposite end of the spectrum. As with most things, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sadly Brent, we no longer HAVE extra electricity to export for greater profit! At least, not here in Ontario.
Here in Manitoba we export alot of electricity, and because of this we are fortunate that our prices for hydro here are pretty low. They are building more hyrdro dams and other products, they are also looking into the whole wind turbine thing

Are you old enough to remember when they formed Petro-Canada? We were all told that this would give the feds a lever on the gas business, so that by competition they could keep those evil greedy oil companies from gouging us. What did Petro-Can actually do? They bought up lots of corner gas station chains, where they were always the first to jack up the price and the last to lower it.
I remember it very well. To this day around here the Petro stations are the last ones to lower and the first to raise.

What they need to do is not just a few more nuke plants but build some new transmission line corridors from Manitoba and Quebec. They have lots of surplus power to sell us but there are no wires to hook us up here in Southern Ontario. Why not give the money to fellow Canadians instead of buying from the Americans?
I agree with this whole-heartedly. We ship mostly south, when it should be going to help out others in the country, but when the american dollar was high, there was more profit to be had south

Careful! You're in danger of becoming a DENIER! I have the word of Marilyn Churley that the issue has been settled and we should all shut up and do what she and the folks on her side tell us.
:D I'm strangely okay with this :D I've never been good at being a sheep and following the flock because someone said it was the thing to do

So you're right that its all about profit,
Profit and the potential for profit. We ran to the aid of the Balkans when they self destructed in the interest of humanitarianism and stopping genocide (strange how they have good shipping ports, minerals and more), yet we strangely forgot about places like Rwanda (which has nothing profitiable above or below ground) and seemed to ignore the 2 million people being slaughtered there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.