The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you may remember that back in march i bought an agile headless hawker. i bought the guitar because it was interesting, and inexpensive, and i wanted to see what their guitars were like.
after i had the guitar a couple months, it became un-playable. not just a buzzing fret, but the entire neck, just dead. i figured it was just a truss rod adjustment. i didn't feel like doing it myself because i wanted to spend my time a little differently. i took it to a local luthier who is well respected here for many many years. in fact, the guy had a great rep all the way back in the 80's when i first started playing. he looked at it, and said the guitar was dehydrated severely. i told him that surprised me, as my other guitars were not affected this way, and also, it has been an extremely rainy & humid spring and summer here. his response was that he suspected the wood was not properly cured before manufacturing. he reccomended me leaving it with him, and he would put it (the neck) in his "hydration room" for a couple of weeks and see what happens. he emailed me yesterday to say that yes, the neck did come back, but the result was that some frets had popped up, and many had sprouted. he would need to dress the ends and re-seat the ones that needed it. he also said that the neck angle was wrong, and that he would need to shim the bridge to correct it. the whole deal would cost me $375 to make the guitar play as well as any other guitar out there. he said he has done work to several other agiles and had good results. i declined, because this guitar doesn't mean enough to me that i would spend more to repair it than it cost me to buy. i contacted rondo music, and they agreed to accept it as a return. they said they will attempt to repair, and if it's not possible, they will refund.
so there you have it. i didn't expect much from the guitar, so i'm not weighed down by disappointment.
my goal was to discover what their products are like. had i had better luck, i would have ordered a custom made neck thru in the future. now i will not. it's too iffy. props to rondo, they responded to my email overnight, and are good about taking it back. i did like the way it sounded and felt when i first got it though. the case i bought for it was a decent quality case. i'll probably put the $$ to a new set of powered stereo monitors for my interface.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
+1 to Rondo.

-1 to Agile, though.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
That's too bad. I have had numerous guitars from them over the years and they are beyond good value. Nice to hear they did the right thing for you.

TG

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
That's too bad. I have had numerous guitars from them over the years and they are beyond good value. Nice to hear they did the right thing for you.

TG
Ya, I've owned 2 and an SX Tele over the years and all were great quality. One of the gold top lp's I owned was really beautiful (I just learned the lesson that I am not an lp guy for the 4th time). With their business model though, there will no doubt be some lemons. From what I have heard their customer service is generally very good when that happens though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live in New Jersey and Rondo Music had a brick and mortar store in Hillside, off the Garden State Parkway. I shopped there for years. You'd go in, and there were Agile guitars everywhere. They finally closed the store, after the neighborhood went to hell and the realities of having Guitar Center and Sam Ash right down the road became too much for them to deal with. I have owned several Agile guitars. I was taken in by the nice looks and low prices...and I sold every last one of them and quickly. They were all serviceable instruments that I grew bored with for some reason. They all wound up unplayed in a corner. One was a Les Paul clone that must have weighed 13 pounds or more. I still get Rondo's emails, but I haven't been motivated to buy another one for years now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like the stuff of theirs that I have bought, but don't love it -- I have an Agile AL3100, a Douglas Scope 725, and a Douglas Spad. The Spad had issues, and I really should have returned it, but it was a birthday gift from Mrs. Hand, so I want to make it work. I am selling the 3100 soon, but the 7 string is staying -- just can't argue with it for $179 plus shipping, and I like it better than my Ibanez RGA7.

Now if a good deal on a Schecter KM7 came along, that might sway me....

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in New Jersey
sorry to hear that. hopefully you won't be stuck there too long... j/k
if you ever find yourself headed towards wilmington, send me a p/m. i'll get you the best cheez steak you ever had

·
Registered
204 Posts
sorry to hear that. hopefully you won't be stuck there too long... j/k
if you ever find yourself headed towards wilmington, send me a p/m. i'll get you the best cheez steak you ever had
I'll do that. I was in Delaware last October. I bought a '67 Ludwig drumset from a guy in Maryland, and he met me at the Christiana Mall. Where I live is the rural northwest part of the state, in the mountains. We're nowhere near the Meadowlands, Newark, or any other dicey area. This is the nicest part of NJ. And don't forget, we have the best tomatoes and blueberries in the world!

Say hello to George Thorogood for me. Whatever happened to him?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I'll do that. I was in Delaware last October. I bought a '67 Ludwig drumset from a guy in Maryland, and he met me at the Christiana Mall. Where I live is the rural northwest part of the state, in the mountains. We're nowhere near the Meadowlands, Newark, or any other dicey area. This is the nicest part of NJ. And don't forget, we have the best tomatoes and blueberries in the world!

Say hello to George Thorogood for me. Whatever happened to him?
I'll bet my blueberries against your blueberries any day.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
I'll bet my blueberries against your blueberries any day.
I'll bet my blueberries against yours and the other fella's any day. I'm surrounded by commercial blueberry operations out where I am. They grow like weeds.

The only problem is, we have to fight the black bears for them, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I'll bet my blueberries against yours and the other fella's any day. I'm surrounded by commercial blueberry operations out where I am. They grow like weeds.

The only problem is, we have to fight the black bears for them, especially this time of year.
We have a huge industry for wild low-bush blueberries here in NS. Although this is a rough year for them. A late frost killed 50-70 percent of our crops this year.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
We've had bumper crops this year. A long hot spring and summer. The season started early and is still going on. I've picked over 10 lbs myself in the last month - and I don't freeze anything, I eat 'em all. I notice 'things' are starting to turn blue, so I need to modify my diet a little bit. I love this time of year for the blueberries, blackberries, cherries, etc.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys gotta understand about jersey... the blueberries are so big, if you're not a local, you'd think they were black plums when you saw them. they may have some seriously wacky insurance laws, but they do have great berries, the used to have awesome peaches too, but i don't know if they still do or not. seriously, softball sized peaches so juicy you gotta wear a bib

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
We've had bumper crops this year. A long hot spring and summer. The season started early and is still going on. I've picked over 10 lbs myself in the last month - and I don't freeze anything, I eat 'em all. I notice 'things' are starting to turn blue, so I need to modify my diet a little bit. I love this time of year for the blueberries, blackberries, cherries, etc.
We've had the hottest summer here since the 80s, but spring had a couple of surprise frosts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
you guys gotta understand about jersey... the blueberries are so big, if you're not a local, you'd think they were black plums when you saw them. they may have some seriously wacky insurance laws, but they do have great berries, the used to have awesome peaches too, but i don't know if they still do or not. seriously, softball sized peaches so juicy you gotta wear a bib
Thank you, cheezy. Those big, nickel-sized blueberries come from south Jersey, and we also do great cranberries there as well. I'm going upstairs right to eat a Jersey peach. They're so juicy, I eat them over the sink!

I'm back. That Jersey peach was really good. My grandson loves our blueberries. He calls them "Boobeddies."

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the only thing better than a fresh juicy peach, is good sex when you're under 30. those are as good as life gets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts